Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 January 2012
First let me say this is a bargain collection of many of Pavarotti's well known interpretations of operatic tenor arias and popular Italian songs. For the price it really can't be beaten, fine singing and generally good recordings throughout. However there are many omissions and so the album title is misleading. Where for example is Recondita Armonia? E Lucevan le Stelle is included so why not the other great aria from Tosca? Similarly Che Gelida Manina is here but no O Soave Fanciulla from La Boheme. Other notable absentees are Vesti La Giubba and A Te O Cara. I could well have done without Ave Maria and possibly the worst interpretation of Volare I have ever heard.It is good however to have Pavarotti's superb singing of Core N'Grato and Caruso among others.
It is not a bad disc, there are too many great tracks for that, however an ultimate collection it is not.One further point, there are no sleeve notes so anyone wanting to know more about any of these performances, where and when and with which orchestra etc., is left in the dark.
For anyone just wanting a Pavarotti sampler in their collection I would recommend this disc, but for anyone with a desire to hear his performances of more of the great operatic arias there are better and more comprehensive collections available.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 23 December 2007
This 2007 single CD release is a compilation of opera's best known arias performed by one of our generations most popular and successful tenors.

None of the recordings are particularly new, ranging from the 1973 version of 'Nessun Dorma' (long before the Three Tenors era) to slightly newer releases like the 1989 'Live like Horses' duet with Elton John.

In between these two are all the favourites like Verdi's 'Brindisi' and 'La Donna e Mobile', and of course Lara's 'Granada'.

Whether this is, or if in fact any 1 CD of just one hour of music could be, the ultimate Pavarotti collection I'm not certain, for there are several other such titled releases available (most notable being Decca's 2 disc compilation which guests stars Cecilia Bartoli, Andreas Bocelli and Frank Sinatra), but for a compilation consisting of so many of his popular songs this one can't be faulted.

My favourite is the previously mentioned duet with Elton John, which is perhaps one of the finest examples of 'crossover' (when pop meets classical) music you could ever wish to hear, combining Elton's song writing talents with Luciano's powerful yet passionately emotional vocals. It's a great closing number to the CD and demonstrates just why Pavarotti is regarded as one of the legends of the opera world.
on 3 August 2010
This is a fantastice collection for all Pavarotti fans out there. The quality of his voice is all you would expect from this great man. He is sadly missed but thankfully we live in an age where he is not lost to us forever. Enjoy!!!
on 2 December 2010
Theres a lot of new opera singers and theyre all fantastic (Cath Jenkins, Russel Watson etc) but they dont (quite)have the passion and emotion in the performance that Luciano seems to give every time, this album has a good mix, all the favourites are there and they are all good quality performances. Enjoy the master...
on 23 February 2010
My mother-in-law requested a Pavorotti CD for Christmas. I was able to listen to clips of tracks from various CD's - and chose this one, as it features a good mix of well-known tracks. My mother-in-law is delighted, and plays it every day.
on 11 November 2013
Bought this to play in the car on the way to the airport for a surprise trip to Venice for my wife. It's a great album and really did the job, the problem was I was then whistling and humming the music the whole time we were there! He really is/was one of the greats! This is a great album at bargain price on downloads.
on 20 July 2011
Pavarotti was such a wonderful character and person, it can only be good to gave his voice, I am still getting used to it. It is so different to listening to Julio Inglesios, who is very intimate. The great Pavarotti voice, calculated to reach the furthest corners of the auditorium is really very vigorous, I like him best played in a room away - our house is small, thus the rooms also, diffucult to cope with a robust voice like that however much one adores him, Maria Callas with that fragile voice, we listen to in bed and sleep so well after. I listen to Radio Classique in the morning while doing the chores, and when I hear a certain voice I stop in my tracks to listen and appreciate, it is always Pavarotti.
on 6 December 2013
What a beautiful voice.

For some reason helps me learn better when I play it.
Just when you think that you haven't got any emotions left.....
on 29 January 2014
Mr Pavarotti was one of the great voices of the twentieth century. His works will live on for ever in the world of classical music.
on 18 December 2013
Love to hear him sing. The master at his best.
Love to hear tenors sing, such a warm mellow sound that envelopes your whole