4.0 out of 5 stars This is really good! wasn't expecting that...
Published on 7 April 2007 by Jakee

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay.
Only bought this album for a few of Fergie's songs. If you're a fan of her solo work then I think you'd really enjoy this album.
Published 18 months ago by Charlie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars This is really good! wasn't expecting that..., 7 April 2007
This review is from: The Dutchess (Audio CD)
Wow! Based on the first two UK singles (London Bridge and Glamorous) I have to say that I wasn't overly impressed with Fergie's solo work, but bought this anyway, purely based on the fact that I loved her so much with BEP. I've listened to the album a few times and I LOVE it!! It's so catchy and unique (apart from "Glamorous" which is a direct copy of Gwen Stefani's "Luxurious") Here is a review of all the tracks.

1 - Fergalicious - this is funky, fun, fast and catchy. love it!

2 - Clumsy - not as keen on this one but Fergie sounds great and, overall, I could listen to it.

3 - All That I Got (The Make-Up Song) - I love the lyrics on this one, it's kinda personal and that's always a good thing.

4 - London Bridge - if you love stuff like "Hollaback Girl" then you'll like this, it's funky and catchy, but she seems to swear for the sake of it!

5 - Pedestal - also, again, love the lyrics on this one. It kinda slags off the paparazzi, plus it's funky and catchy and her voice sounds great.

6 - Voodoo Doll - you just have to admire the creativity and the uniqueness of this. wasn't a lover of this song at first, now it's one of my faves on the album.

7 - Glamorous - really laid-back, good lyrics again. Much better than "Luxurious" in my opinion.

8 - Here I Come - favourite song on the album! really funky, plus will.i.Am has a good verse on it.

9 - Velvet - disappointing. don't like it at all. one of the only songs i skip on this album.

10 - Big Girls Don't Cry - this is fab!! really deep and emotional, and reminds people that she is a really talented vocalist.

11 - Mary Jane Shoes - not sure about this one at all. is it reggae? is it ska? is it punk? i dunno, but i don't like the end result.

12 - Losing My Ground - not bad, not phenomenal. listenable, but not one of the album's best points.

13 - Finally - love this!!! Fergie's vocals are amazing, the lyrics are fantastic, it's a great way to end the album!

Anyways, my faves are:

- Finally

4.0 out of 5 stars SHOCKED!!! In VERY good way!!, 29 May 2007
N. Moeti "lilmisschubs03" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dutchess (Audio CD)
I'm not sure what I expected, i DID NOT likemher music at first I mean "Londy londy londy" I was lyk this girl aint really serious but GLAMOROUS to me was one of the tunes of the year so I bought it and WOW, its really good. Very diverse content and vocal wise.

Vocals: 9/10

Content: 7/10 same ol' but with a different take

Production: 8/10 Will.i.am is that man

Diversity: 10/10, go from pop to rock-ush to soul to reggae back into RnB, wasn't expecting that at all

Overall@ 8/10 REALLY GOOD ALBUM

Features: 7/10 John Legend duet was HOT!

TUNES:

Glamarous- OF COURSE

Clumsy

4.0 out of 5 stars What a surprise!, 10 Dec 2006
This review is from: The Dutchess (Audio CD)
I mean it too! I was bought this album for my birthday, I had never been a huge fan of Fergies but heard this album was good.

Having listened to it, It's better than good. It's really great!

Just really great contemporary pop songs!

I'm now a Fergie convert. She cannot do any wrong!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Ready, Here Comes Fergie!!, 15 Sep 2006
This review is from: The Dutchess (Audio CD)
What can I say? The Dutchess of R&B has polished her tiara to a high shine, put on tartan, told us how her London Bridge wants to go down like London London London, and given us a great sounding, great looking, greatly collaborated with album!

First off - Fergalicious : definition make them boys go loco! What can I say bout this song? If you like My Humps, and that kick-ass attitude that Fergie demonstrates in that song, you will LOVE Fergalicious! This track, like many others on the album, features Will.I.Am of the Black Eyed Peas.

Clumsy is the follow-up track to this, and blends in well with the end of Fergalicious. Clumsy is a song about falling in love, and is quite catchy, a bit slow at points, and quite fast and loud - what more can you want from a song?

All That I Got (The Make Up Song), this is a slower song, and is about one of Fergie's ex-boyfriends (!!NOT JOSH DUHAMEL!!) and the simple message is to look past the physical aspects, and when you do, she'll give you all that she's got, and love you with all her heart and soul.

London Bridge - oh SNAP, oh SNAP, oh SNAP - you ain't ready for this! Great sounding, funky, just... great vibes... bizarre song to be honest, but love the end. It ends with two cockney guys talking about Ms Ferguson, and even attempt to sing a line of the chorus - comic humour! LANDAN LANDAN, LANDAN!

Pedestal is Fergie's attack on the haters. For those that don't know, when she joined the Black Eyed Peas, there was a big uproar from some BEP fans, saying that Fergie's made them change and become crap, basically. So this is her attack on all the nasty things people, especially on the net, say about her. This song is great, love some of the lines, and the very beginning, and somewhere near the end, have this great bit where Fergie sings, to the tune of London Bridge Is Falling Down "your pedestal is fallin' down, fallin' down, fallin' down, your pedestal is fallin' down - down, down, down, down..." sounds a little creepy, but I like it!

Voodoo Doll is... well, it just is! It's about voodoo dolls, and crystal balls and following other religions, and even turning into a devil... bizarre but oddly catchy and FANTASTIC!

Glamorous has got to be one of the least faves of mine on here, it features Ludacris, nothing wrong with him, but I'm just not too keen. Think Gwen Stefani - Luxurious, only... better, in some regards, but a little weak.

Here I Come - it uses a great sample of the Temptations "Get Ready," and features Will.I.Am...

Velvet... hmm, I like it, but there's not much to comment on really... apart from Fergie nearing climax at the end, but... that's about it really!

Big Girls Don't Cry sounds VERY like music for the end of a film... some great lines in here, very sweet, young love, type of song - obviously drawn on some of her life experiences, because I don't think kids nowadays play "jacks and uno cards".... do they?

Mary Jane Shoes - featuring Rita Marley and the I-3s... reggae sounding... slow to begin, but then it changes the tempo and it's a fuel-injected, rock style, crazy version - great song, but who is Mary Jane, and why has Fergie got a pair of shoes like her's?

Losing My Ground... small background info - Fergie went through a time, before BEP when she was doing drugs (crystal meth in particular) and this song is obviously a direct reference to the bad points in her life "who am I now, where does it end, how did it all begin...?," "is that me up in the mirror, cos I thought I was somebody else, well it's a realization when you find out you don't wanna look at yourself." Great track, great lyrics, very emotional obviously, but this just goes to prove how versatile and... great an artist she is, she can vary her style, AND she's an open book when it comes to her life.

Finally is a little like "Won't Let You Fall," from Poseidon (2006), it's a big vocals track, and proves the power of her voice, from such a tiny person (5ft3" believe it or not!) and is about her giving her "love to him finally," whoever he is... but still, a genuinely GREAT song... very much from her dreams and experiences as a little girl/young teenager.

Hands Up, GET YOUR HANDS UP featuring the Black Eyed Peas. Oh, wait, Hands Up, that sounds familiar - but no, it doesn't SOUND like the version on Elephunk... it's a rock-inspired anthem, with Apl.De.Ap rapping on some of the verses... not the best, but it's still pretty good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most definately Fergalicious, 3 Jan 2008
This review is from: The Dutchess (Audio CD)
I cannot stop playing this album since I got it for my birthday.

My personal favourites are as follows:

-Fergalicious: When I first herd this and saw the video (before I owned the album) I hated it but I put that down the the sometimes tacky video because when i played it I loved it!!

-Clumsy: I love the change in tone from Fergalicious and the sample is ace. This should be a hit, I can't stop playing it.

-London Bridge: Loving the lyrics and the beats. Will make you want to dance.

-Big Girls Don't Cry: This was the single that prompted me to buy the album because it is truly amazing and Fergie's vocals are beautiful.

The two bomus tracks feat. BEP are also well worth a listen. It's nice to see that it's not the end of the fab BEP cos I love them. But this album is truly a testament to the fact that Fergie can stand on her own (with Will.I.Am's help. He shines as a producer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fergie Ferg Is Amazing!, 30 Dec 2007
Alex (Bromsgrove, Worcs, U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dutchess (Audio CD)
I had this album as a Christmas present and I liked it but a few tracks take a few listens.

1. Fergalicious. 10/10
12. Losing My Ground. 10/10
13. Finally. 10/10
14. Get Your Hands Up. 9/10
15. Wake Up. 10/10
And if you keep listening
16. Maybe We Can Take a Ride. 10/10

How could I have been so stupid!
I thought that "The Dutchess" would have been the most rubbish album ever but after listening to it I think that it is an excellent album! 10/10

4.0 out of 5 stars The Dutchess Deluxe Edition, 27 Feb 2010
This review is from: Dutchess (Audio CD)
The Dutchess is an amazing album. It is sung beautifully by Fergie. The Deluxe edition of the album includes,'London Bridge', 'Fergalicious', 'Glamorous' , 'Big Girls Don't Cry', 'Clumsy' plus the bonus singles 'Party People' and 'Labels Or Love'.Overall 9/10.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ace Debut From Ms F, 15 Sep 2006
scoon2 "scoon2" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Dutchess (Audio CD)
Fergie's debut album is a great mixture of cool pop and hip hop with some great ballads thrown in.

As you would expect some of it could be off a Blackeyed Peas album, However, that is no bad thing and the lovely Ms F has stamped her own individuality over this project.

There is much variety on this album which is a;so superbly produced.

It's funny.

It's melancholy.

And , yes, some of it is naughty too.

A hit for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super great product, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Dutchess (Audio CD)
I think that this is a super great product, and so I would gladly buy it agian in the future

4.0 out of 5 stars Back in the Wifes Good Books.............., 8 July 2013
This review is from: The Dutchess (Audio CD)
Surprisingly I actually do like this CD. It's not normally my 'cup of tea' But.....Having listened to it a few times in the car I got really into it.. Only to accidentally tread on it as I got out the car awhile ago.. My wife was devasted!! But thanks to Amazon I soon got a new copy and every thing is coool!! Brilliant album..

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Dutchess
The Dutchess by Fergie (Audio CD - 2006)