5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, you'll love this album, 17 Jun 2009
This review is from: Buika (Audio CD)
Bluesey, jazzy singing, with a grainy flamenco type voice that contrasts with such smooth music but works really well.

A Mallorcan i believe with parents from Guinea.

Apparently she used to do Tina Turner impersonations in Vegas, you can see the link.

But this is much more creative and stylist, think Tina should do impersonations of Buika.

5.0 out of 5 stars Concha Buika, 27 May 2010
This review is from: Buika (Audio CD)
Before I say anything, I would like to point out that I'm Spanish, so my appreciation for this album, and my thoughts about it may be some how different to other people.
I discovered Concha Buika a few months ago. The reason why I didn't know her is because I left Spain in 1995, and I'm a bit lost with new Spanish musicians, so when I discovered Concha Buika I had to listen to her.
Her music is an interesting mix of different styles, like "Soul", "Jazz", and the Spanish "Rumbas", "Coplas", and "Flamenco", and to me this is one of the things that makes it so interesting. Not only for the diversity of musical flavors, but also the sound of her voice, that sounds so Spanish, while she looks not so Spanish. Also I must say that this album is not hundred per cent in Spanish, she uses English quite often, with an strong American accent that she probably picked up while she was working in Vegas as an Tina Turner Impersonator.
This is a good album. If you are Spanish or not, it doesn't matter, have a listen to it, I'm sure you'll find a reason why you should buy it.

Buika
Buika by Buika (Audio CD - 2008)