Format: DVD|Change

on 28 December 2011
The box set includes: BLOOD FROM THE MUMMIES TOMB, DEMONS OF THE MIND, DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS, FEAR IN THE NIGHT, ONE MILLION YEARS B.C., PREHISTORIC WOMEN, QUATERMASS & THE PIT, RASPUTIN THE MAD MONK, SCARS OF DRACULA, SHE, STRAIGHT ON TIL MORNING, DEVIL RIDES OUT, HORROR OF FRANKENSTEIN, THE NANNY, PLAGUE OF ZOMBIES,THE REPTILE, VENGEANCE OF SHE, THE WITCHEs, TO THE DEVIL A DAUGHTER, VIKING QUEEN. Some are good and some are not so good. A great bonus is that on some of the discs they have got extras such as commentary with the actors or documentaries.

The box itself is the best box for any film set I have seen or got. you take the lid off and the front drops down and you are presented with 5 boxes within. four are full of the DVDs and the fifth is an empty area. within the box a book is about each film is included with some cards of the cinema poster.

I have said four stars because it is missing a few. Id like to see Dracula, Mummy and Frankenstein as well as the Gorgon but that is just me.

However 21 films for £25. . . :O thats a great price
on 26 April 2012
This is a well put together & presented collection of about half of the Hammer films ever made. Don't be misled - this is not a complete collection.

It is however a good sample of the famous British studio's output including the classic Dracula Prince of Darkness & Quartermass & the Pit as well as some other lesser-known & bizarre works.

Importantly, there are no subtitles on these movies which will be a big factor for many viewers.

I agree with previous reviews that this is probably the best Hammer set out there. It does go from first to last, closing with the disappointing To the Devil a Daughter - which I think is better than people think - it just suffered at the time as it was up against some strong 1970s horror opposition. A `best of' collection is a good title as I do think the best films are in this set.

There are documentaries & other extras included as expected.

There is little in these films to shock a modern punch drunk audience but they can still do it. You try watching one late one Friday night; just you in the house, maybe a bottle of wine & you'll get the idea...
on 23 February 2007
Haven't had chance to check out all of the films in this boxed set yet but as far as I can tell the image quality varies from okay to excellent. Similarly the films range from the mundane to the essential (Plague of the Zombies!), and there are a few extras dropped in for good measure. There are a few obscure and semi-notorious films here that I've never had chance to see so I'm really pleased for the chance to own them on disc at last. Hammer horrors are something that I've learned to appreciate more as I've got older believe it or not, never really being much of a fan in my 20s. There is an abundance of great script-work along with some truly respectable performances from the likes of Lee, Cushing among others.

The packaging is very nice; smaller than expected the box takes up approximately the size of nine amaray cases. The films themselves are contained in book-style CD-size cases (about 5 films to each 'book') and it all looks very presentable. There's also a nice booklet covering a brief history about Hammer and a section for each film contained in the set. This booklet is nicely illustrated and supporting this there is also a set of postcards featuring original poster art for a number of the movies.

Overall, even if you own a small number of these films (luckily I only owned one, the underrated Scars of Dracula) then, for the price Amazon are offering it certainly, it's a brilliant purchase. At the RRP it would probably be a 3.5 star package but at this discounted price it's got to be a 4.5 star.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 October 2007
For the films on their own, at full price, this set doesn't warrant five stars. Some of these, as a previous reviewer has already said, are absolute turkeys, noteably 'Prehestoric Women' which is truly dreadful. However the set is beautifully packaged, has some nice extras, and if you can get it cheaper it does deserve 5 stars and is a must have for the film fan.

The 21 films are a fair reflection of Hammers output. The best film in the set is "The Devil Rides Out". This is a 5 star movie and along with "Dracula" and "The Hound of the Baskervilles" (neither in the set sadly) are the best films Hammer ever made.

"Plague of the Zombies", "Dracula Prince of Darkness", The Nanny, "Frankenstein Created Woman" and Quatermass and the Pit" whilst not of the same standard as "The Devil Rides Out" are all good films which merit repeated viewings.

Of the other films I've seen, "The Horror of Frankenstein" and "Scars of Dracula" are both rather poor. There are a number of films that I've never seen, so I obviously can't comment on these.

Like Hammers overall output the other films in the set, that I have seen, have some good moments and it will be very much a personal thing as to which you will like and which you will not.

If look up the list of Hammer films on the internet you will find that they produced well over 100 films in the 1960's and 1970's and even more in the 1950's, so this set is by no means the last word. However at the moment its the best set available and at the right price I strongly recommend it.
on 26 August 2014
This was an unknown item, because the films were not listed either on the container , or product review on the sellers listings.

However I have the box set now and I fully intend to keep it. There are films in this set that I have always found entertaining as well as some that I may not watch often. It is a mixed set but it is worth having. in the collection .

Purchasers can buy with confidence, even though out of 21 films there may be 1-2 that may not be quite as entertaining as the rest of this box set. Overall I am well pleased with my purchase.

Maurice C
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 July 2015
This is good value overall, but I don't think 'Ultimate Hammer Collection' is quite how I'd describe it. The first Dracula, Frankenstein and Mummy films are absent, as is The Werewolf. It's packed out with a number of really not-very-good offerings from the studio, which would be all right in a complete collection, but they disqualify this from being anything like 'ultimate'. Having said that, it does have Quatermass and the Pit, One Million Year BC, The Devil Rides Out, The Nanny, Plague of the Zombies and enough other lurid frighteners to make it worth having. The box is fun, too.
on 15 November 2006
This is the hammer collection with most entries (21 movies) available in one set so far and it's needless to say is a must have for your collection.
I only wish that instead of the very well known frankenstein and dracula films which most fans already own they should have included lesser known vampire hammer films like the kurstein vampire trilogy (vampire lovers, lust for a vampire, twins of evil) , the countess dracula film ...... etc....
Still it has some rare gems in a great package and in the current cheap price is worth your money
on 26 March 2008
Whilst some of the films in this boxset are not amongst Hammers best it is an extremely good collection.
I already owned almost half of the titles on region 1 but these discs are much better quality. The picture is clearer, the colour more vibrant and the sound's crisper.
If you're a Hammer fan you simply must own this set. I was lucky enough to get in in a sale for £35 which is incredibly good value.
If you've been considering buying this set, stop dithering and get on with it. You won't regret it.
on 28 December 2015
Bought this for my partner for christmas although i did not get it until after but that was my fault i ordered it to late! It came today and ive had a good look at it and the packaging is lush i as like the fact that its got so many films in it. I'm hoping to spend many a late night with my other half watching these vintage horror films as i to am a fan of the campy hammer house films! My favorite is The devil rides out but most of the films in this boxset ive never seen so i might find another favorite!.
on 6 January 2008
I remember enjoying these films so much and just couldn't believe my luck when I found out you could buy the collection.
However, disappointment wasn't the word I used when I found out they have no sub-titles. Yet again (and I am not alone) I have been denied the pleasure of watching these classics.
I take it whoever is manufacturing these DVD's have no problem hearing and if that's the case then I hope they continue to have that luxury. A silent world can be quite lonely at the best of times but when we are included it's fantastic!!
I then would have given 5 stars! Until these receive sub titles they will not be purchased or recommended by me.
2626 comments|117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse