Format: DVD|Change

on 20 March 2010
I loved this little British comedy when I hired it 25 years ago. I decided to buy it recently and found it just as amusing. A well thought out story which includes everything that could possibly go wrong on house moving day. It is also a wonderful insight into the human psyche.
on 16 July 2009
An old favourite of mine. If the only time you ever laugh at moving house, this is it. A fantastic cast playing typically real characters; I have experienced such a mix in my personal life! This has to be one of the great gems of all time and should have a place in everyone's collection. I would give it more than five stars if I could.
on 21 January 2012
A friend and I both remembered this film when we were discussing a third friend's impending house move. I checked and it was made in 1985. Another check of Amazon found the DVD which was delivered within a few days in the run up to Christmas. The film did not disappoint and was every bit as good as we had remembered for 26 years.
on 8 May 2013
Searched for this for so many years, so was delighted to find it at last. A simple story of every day people moving house in London, the characters have travelled through time, as real today as they were when it was made. This film was a joy to watch and I'd recommend it to anyone who loves people and people watching.
on 14 August 2015
This is IMHO one of the finest products of a certain kind of gentle, period-specific, English comic cinema. It is a day in the life of a household removal team - it's quite implausible in terms of the speed of each removal, but that doesn't matter. They intersect with other removals so that in all seven households move - mostly socially upward, except for the last one, who, terminally ill moves back, as a lodger, into the house in Hackney which was his boyhood home.

It's a wonderful piece of cultural history of the mid 80s - yuppies and squatters and noveau riche and guardian-readers. The removal team is led by a character played by Warren Mitchell who sortof reprises the Alf Garnett character but minus the bigotry. His removal foreman is a gentle soul who is studying philosophy at the Open University and is given to quoting Vico (best known for advancing the view of history as cyclical ... echoed, of course, in the narrative).If you want a bit of social history, nostalgia and and a 'feel good' comedy, then give this a go. :-)
on 2 November 2014
Classic Comedy from Jack Rosenthal that sends a shiver down your spine. The Chain is one long laugh with the humour being provided by a cast of top stars. This modern re-telling of the Seven Deadly Sins accompanied by various renderings of Pachelebel's Canaonis a gem and should be part of everyone's collection. Buy it, it will soon be a fvourite.
on 4 July 2007
Yes,OK, it's a knockabout British comedy about moving house. But it's also, for those with eyes and an affinity for metaphor, a profound meditation on the chain of being, the arc (and circle!) of life from youth to old age, the seven deadly sins and the law of consequence (or karma as they call it some places). Without spoiling it for newcomers, I'll point to at least a few of the master strokes of form and construction that are testimony to the film's genius: the bag lady (with *nowhere* to live) whose appearance frames the action; the fact that the action takes place in a single day (mirroring life progressing from dawn to sunset); the self constructed fantasies that surround the characters and between them persuade us to accept that "all human life is here", and at the same time "all is vanity".

So much wisdom, so much compassion. Obeisance to Mr Rosenthal. A masterpiece that only deepens with repeated viewing and reflection. And Warren Mitchell's great line:" I remember openin' me marf, but I don' remember nuffin' comin' aht". "The Chain" - after all the words I just expended - leaves me, when I really let it, similarly speechless.
on 16 February 2009
I knew this film of old, my sister in law is the tramp who links all the various scenario. The subject matter doesn't date and the characterisations are superb. Look out for other well known faces in unfamiliar guises. Well worth watching.
on 21 February 2014
The story speaks for its self, centres around a gang of removal men, as they work on house removals in a day the different characters involved that is formed from the peaple selling and buying the houses in the same chain...
Some nice stories as you learn about the different characters..
on 23 June 2016
While it might seem a bit dated now it's brilliantly written and acted (young Denis Lawson showing a lot of promise). Would make you think twice about moving house. Also makes me want to get 'Boys from the Black Stuff'.