5.0 out of 5 stars So good its pointless reviewing it:
Published on 7 May 2007 by Robert Parker

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
Camera was more used than I expected
Published 25 days ago by Thierry VONDERWEID

5.0 out of 5 stars So good its pointless reviewing it:, 7 May 2007
Robert Parker "design-rob" (Allexton, Oakham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D80 Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
It does seem pointless I feel to review this camera, as if you have got this far you've already read oodles of reviews in all the magazines and they will have said how fantastic this camera is. BUT if you are thinking about buying a DSLR online, now, without going into a shop as I did, then this really is the one for you. Ignore all the fantastic features, ignore the sensor robbed from its bigger expensive brother, ignore the 11 point focusing system, (or better the movable 11 point single focus) ignore the enormous crisp LCD, the bright well laid out top mounted display, the gorgeous crisp bright viewfinder, ignore all those well placed buttons. The simple fact is, if you are toying with this or the Canon equivalents (as most will be) then buy this for the glorious build quality, the weight and the way you wonder if the Nikon designers have the same sized hands as you (and anyone you pass this camera to) as its simply the best in build quality and ergonomics, the smaller Canons (350 & 400) just feel like plastic toys, and unless you have very small hands you'll find your last finger flailing around with no-where to go, whereas the bigger ones (20 & 30) are built like a brick outhouse, but sadly look and feel like a brick outhouse.

This is what it boils down to, on spec for £ they all run a photo-finish, on build and handling this ones has got them all well and truly licked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Prosumer Digital SLR, 26 May 2008
M. Potter (Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
In short, an excellent choice if you're an enthusiatic amatuer who can't justify the cost of a professional DSLR.

I bought this camera to replace my ageing Minolta film SLR, having promised myself that I'd wait until good quality DSLRs broke the 10 mega-pixel barrier at a reasonable price before parting with my cash. Minolta stopped producing SLRs a few years ago (replaced by Sony I think, which is an unknown quantity to me), so I decided to look at other brands. I've had a Nikon Coolpix point-and-shoot digital for some years which I've been very pleased with, so I plumped for a Nikon DSLR.

As an amatuer, I wanted a camera that is versatile, reasonably portable and of high quality. I also wanted something that would allow me to explore Digital SLR fully (point-and-shoot digital isn't the same of course, and the fast feedback you get with DSLR compared to film is wonderful). Given my budget and the current Nikon range, this came down to either the D80 or the D200. The D200 is very impressive, but I just couldn't justify the extra £300 or so that it costs and decided this was best spent on a better lense. Not only that, but the D80 is very close in specification to the D200. For me, the additional features of the D200 were just not worth the extra £300 given what I will use the camera for. So I went with the D80 and the excellent Nikon 18-200 VR lense and have not been disappointed. Nikon don't offer this body/lense combination as a kit, so I had to buy separately which of course ups the cost somewhat, but it's worth it I think.

Most of my images stay on the PC and the exceptional ones get printed up to A3 format for display. Resolution wise, the D80 seems to handle this with ease. The camera is a dream to use, and in the short time that I've had it I've had excellent results. As others have said, the camera oozes good quality, and this applies not only to the finish/controls but also under the hood as well. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this camera!, 8 Jan 2008
I love this camera, having had it for almost one year. Yes, it is a bit heavier than similar offerings from Canon, Sony and Olympus but this is due to it's build quality! Dslrs are not pocket cameras! They will have to take some rough and tumble and the extra weight helps the camera balance when used with larger lenses. I particularly like the extra bright viewfinder, very important and much superior to the Canon Eos 400D.

I bought this camera with the excellent 18-200vr and really love this lens. This is not a lens review but remember, when you buy a Dslr, you are buying into a camera range. It's essential to look at what accessories are available and Nikon do not disappoint in this area.
There are 11 autofocus points which should be enough for anyone.
Noise control at 400 iso is excellent and is available up to 3200 but is very noisy, so only for emergencies. The D80 has a whole host of in-camera adjustments for adjusting images although I prefer to do this in Photoshop.

I think I will be happy with this camera for a few years yet. This does everything I want it to (takes sharp, low noise, well exposed pictures) and of course, reading the manual is essential to make the best use of all the features but it still isn't difficult for someone used to film SLRs to pick this camera up and start shooting straight away.
I have bought the SB600 flash which is superb and the 50mm 1.8 lens which is superb for low light. The camera has reduced in price and the weight is not an issue unless you're a total wimp!

I bought this instead of the Canon 400D as it has better build quality, a better viewfinder and spot metering, Canons usually only have a partial metering option. It is very comfortable to hold, whereas it's competitors can feel too small and plasticky. And then there is the 18-200VR lens. Canon have nothing like this and as most people have concerns about lugging lenses around, this is an almost do-it-all solution! The Canon 40D has great build quality but in reviews appears to have no better image quality than the 400D and comes with a hefty price tag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb DSLR, 30 Dec 2008
Vicky Welsby (NSW, Australia) - See all my reviews
I bought my Nikon D80 just over a year ago and I've never looked back since. It's easy to use, easy to handle, very responsive and gives great results. As far as control goes, you can either do everything yourself, or you can let the camera do it all for you or every combination in between. There are several pre-programmed options, all of which you'll find easy to use after the first couple of gos and the menus, whilst they may be a bit daunting at first, are straight forward within a day or two.

The camera feels sturdy, unlike some plasticy equvalents from other manufacturers, but doesn't (to me anyway) feel over heavy, although if you're just switching to SLR, you'll feel the difference. Anyone who's owned a Nikon SLR before, as I have, will find it a seemless transition and your lenses will fit. Anyone switching from another manufacturer will find this a lot more robust than some of its opponents (not mentioning any brand names)

Its diversity is great, it gives beautiful landscape pictures yet, using the continuous shoot feature, it gets amazing action shots too. Everything from macro to portraits, from night landscapes to the fastest action shots, you won't be disappointed.

I bought the body only because I already owned a heap of Nikon fit lenses but, if you don't already own Nikon lenses, my advice is to go for the D80 with the 18-135 lens. The only other thing I think you need to be aware of is that the memory card doesn't come with the pack, you have to buy it separately.

5.0 out of 5 stars A camera suitable for a serious amateur., 12 Sep 2009
Mr. Roger V. Bulpitt "Arena Blue" (Plymouth UK) - See all my reviews
After buying an `ordinary' digital when they first hit the market I found the delay in exposure times very frustrating. Having enjoyed SLR in the past I decided to invest in the D80 and have not been disappointed.

Almost a year after purchase I am still finding it an excellent camera and cannot fault it in any way.

I recommend this camera to you.

Nikon D80 Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon Digital Camera, 4 Feb 2009
I was really happy with my purchase & a real bargain, it was very swift postage and good communication with the seller, it was exacly what I wanted.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT CAMERA,NIKON D80, 26 April 2010
M. J. Cronin - See all my reviews
This Nikon D80 camera I had from Amazon websit, Some time ago from a chap on the second hand sales
department.It was a brilliant price for the body only. In new condition compleat with box.leads.
minus the instruction book.But not aproblem. As I had the book on this camera anyway,And I already
owned the D50 NIKON, It has produced some great pictures last week while I was in the,,ISLE-OF-MAN
Thanks to the seller/mr L.C./+ALL AT AMAZON.
FROM M.J.CRONIN, Bridgend. S/Wales

4.0 out of 5 stars I am really pleased with my purchase., 14 Oct 2009
G. Robertson (UK) - See all my reviews
I first saw the D80 in use on a P&O cruise and saw the results taken by the photographers. I had been searching for a Nikon digital SLR as I had a collection of Nikon SLR lenses. However I found the new cameras have electronics in the lenses so it was quite hard to learn the camera. I now have the proper lens for the camera and so far the results seem to be very good, I can only get better. I would recommend anyone interested in this product used the 18-135 DX lens, the scope would be enormouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous camera., 4 Mar 2014
Only had this camera for a couple of months and so far it has been a wonderful experience navigating my way around the menus etc.

Bought it to use with my Tamron 70-300 zoom and as a back up to my D5100 - it was cheaper to buy another camera body than chopping and changing lenses with the increased risk of damage to both. I'm not in a position to give a technical review but for a hobby photographer, or someone who is not swayed by the high pixel counts on newer, fancier cameras, this is a great camera.

It is making me think more about my shots and the technical aspects of each shot which is teaching me more and more each week, which is not to say the preset scene settings are not perfectly capable of helping you take great pictures.

All in all I am very happy with this camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 24 April 2013
Yes i know its a few years old but my son is 100% happy with this camera body.
He is using it for his 6th form college work and is well happy.
Seller is top rate.