5.0 out of 5 stars This is an Awesome DSLR!
It's about 15 years since I 'gave up' film SLRs...they were big, bulky and heavy and I didn't want to carry them around anymore. Like many, I flirted with a few compact cameras before working my way onto a few digital compacts (Sony, Canon etc).

Published on 6 Jun 2008 by Mr. Robin Guest

3.0 out of 5 stars Why is this going for 1,100 pounds haha?
Don't get it. Can get much better brand new DSLR for much cheaper, Such as the d5100 or any other model really aha
Published on 20 Sep 2012 by Mr. Cameron Harrison

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an Awesome DSLR!, 6 Jun 2008
This review is from: Nikon D80 Digital SLR Camera (18-135mm Lens Kit) (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)

Now at a different stage of my life (the kids are grown up!) it felt like the time to get back into SLRs once again.

To be honest, technology is now such that it's probably difficult to buy a bad DSLR...try some out...they all have fantastic features that put my old film camera to shame. I have however always hankered after a Nikon...cue the D80.

Initially somewhat daunted by the many features available on the D80, I have spent an enjoyable time getting back into SLR cameras again with the D80 - it's more compact than my old beasts and an awful lot more capable. If you're unsure, drop into 'Auto' mode initially and the camera will do everything for you, other than compose and zoom - you'll get good results this way. Natural curiosity however will soon have you exploring the Programme, Aperture and Shutter priority modes, plus the auto-bracketing, excellent exposure compensation modes and even in-camera editing facilities. Fancy everything in Manual mode?...not a problem, go for it.

When handling the D80 you will be impressed I'm sure by the feeling of quality and class - not 'plasticky' at all as some modern DSLRs tend to be. The 18-135 kit lens is very good and, again, feels solid and reliable.

The D80 has some very detailed and comprehensive in-camera menus. After a couple of days, they all make sense and you'll soon be whizzing through them. The key thing with the D80 though is that you have bought into the Nikon 'system' - an unrivaled collection of lenses and accessories, all oozing quality and class. Nothing is forever of course, especially in this disposable world, but I do tend to feel that the D80 is definitely a long(er) term investment.

Things to buy with the D80 at the same time...? A lens filter (67mm thread), a decent SD or SDHC card (I bought a 4Gb SDHC card) and a nice padded case/bag. After that, well, the Nikon world is your oyster!

A stunning camera - I'm delighted I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, reliable and robust, 31 July 2008
What an excellent, reliable and robust camera. I have owned a Nikon D80 for around a year now and have found it to perform excellently in all areas of photography.I took a photography course just after purchasing this camera and found that the control that I had over the camera was inspiring. But to be honest, even in automatic 'point and shoot' mode the photos were excellent thanks to the awesome 11 point focussing system.
The battery life is incredible, the grip on the camera perfect, and the weight really gives it a sturdy feel that allows the camera to handle so well that it actually feels tailor made just for you.
There is a comprehensive set of peripherals and extras available which allow the camera to grow in potential as you do.
For a beginner or a serious amateur, or even an entry level pro, I cannot imagine a better camera.I have used mine in every comceivable situation and it is a joy to work with.
Look at the professional reviews on the net and you'll see what I mean.
A seriously good all-rounder - buy one and you'll see.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Great Camera for Beginners and Pros!, 2 Aug 2008
I've recently taken up photography in a serious way ( before it was always a couple of snap shots here and a couple there with my digital camera on holidays). After loads and loads of research, I was told that my best bet was to go with a Nikon; and choose either the D40x or the D80. I went with the D80 because my photographer friend told me that it was ideal for beginners, but it also was a great camera if i decided to go further on with my hobby.

It's easy to use if you have even the tiniest of background info on DSLRs and it makes taking photos an immensely fun activity.

If you're unsure about what to get and think you might want to progress to more proffesional photography I definitely reccoment the nikon D80!

5.0 out of 5 stars So good it seems pointless to review it., 1 May 2007
Robert Parker "design-rob" (Allexton, Oakham, UK) - See all my reviews
It does seem pointless I feel to review this camera, as if you have got this far you've already read oodles of reviews in all the magazines and they will have said how fantastic this camera is. BUT if you are thinking about buying it online, now, without going into a shop as I did, then this really is the one for you. Ignore all the fantastic features, ignore the sensor robbed from its bigger expensive brother, ignore the 11 point focusing system, (or better the movable 11 point single focus) ignore the enormous crisp LCD, the bright well laid out top mounted display, the gorgeous crisp bright viewfinder, ignore all those well placed buttons. The simple fact is, if you are toying with this or the Canon equivalents (as most will be) then buy this for the glorious build quality, the weight and the way you wonder if the Nikon designers have the same sized hands as you (and anyone you pass this camera to) as its simply the best in build quality and ergonomics, the smaller Canons (350 & 400) just feel like plastic toys, and unless you have very small hands you'll find your last finger flailing around with no-where to go, whereas the bigger ones (20 & 30) are built like a brick outhouse, but sadly look and feel like a brick outhouse.

This is what it boils down to, on spec for £ they all run a photo-finish, on build and handling this ones has got them all well and truly licked.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best compromise, all you will ever need, 23 Dec 2008
'Compromise' is an unfair word for this Nikon D80. It is excellent AND a steal at the price. I bought mine last week. Thanks to all here, I add the following info:

1. Why Nikon? First it is my 'subjective' choice. I feel Nikon is the Mercedes-Benz of cameras. I always wanted one. The brand seems to be very serious. More important points below!

2. Why the D80? 11-point autofocus vs. only 3 for the D40. Great price. Not heavy vs. other more expensive and more professional Nikons. Some people say it is quite close to the more expensive D200!!! I wanted to be at the amateur/semipro level, nothing more. The D80 also suffered a price drop due to the newer D90 with some more bells and whistles, which I do not need. Even the D40 is deemed to be a very good camera. The pros tell us that lenses and ... the photographer can make more of a difference to really great pictures.

3. Which brings me neatly to the most important point: lenses. Nikon has a few great and excellent quality lenses at low prices. I went for the 18-55mm DX VR. Very cheap as a starter bundle - a steal in fact. Later I will add a 55-200mm DX VR. These excellent modern lenses are highly rated and very cheap. Do not be fooled by the sexy DX logo (they just mean the lenses are fit for DSLRs). But VR (vibration reduction) is great. Clear pictures are now possible with less light and without a tripod.

4. This camera is excellent - and undaunting. Quick first and very good snapshots are very easy in full auto mode (you learn that in 10 min). Again, I am no professional. But everybody in the family had their jaws dropping from the quality of the pictures. I had a 6m pixel (NB. pixel count is not the most important criteria!) compact Minolta (4-yr old). Of course you cannot compare but the compact Minolta does some excellent pictures. In fact, the semipro D80 has an easier menu than the compact! Of course, the latter is of an older design.

It all depends on what you want. There are many important criteria for a decision: quality, ease of use, technology, price. Do not underestimate also the way you feel by holding the camera (whether the hold and hand position are comfortable and satisfying to you), weight, practicality and, you guessed it, the lenses available! Save the money from the D90 (a lot) and buy the D80 with some good lenses! A future classic, IMHO. It will still come cheaper than a D90. The amount of equipment for the money is almost indecent.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have a D80 and I say NEVER EVER doubt a Nikon !!, 15 Feb 2007
Nikon's advantage is that it has a long history of specializing in cameras and camera equipment therefore producing only the best in optics (Nikkor) and cameras (SLR,DSLR types). As you probably know, this mesmerising DSLR functions almost exactly like the Nikon D200, but at a lower price and it is much more attractive to those of us who don't have extremely deep pockets. The buttons and switches on the D80 are the only buttons you will ever need, and the camera feels very solid and comfortable when held. It is more comfortable to hold than any Canon (believe me I know). I particularly like how it has a certain weight, that in my opinion can help stabilize a shot and make one feel as if he/she is holding a serious piece of professional equipment (which the D80 is, in every way). The image quality is flawless, as per usual from Nikon. The 18-135 mm lens is a delicious bit of kit to start off with, offering very crisp and fresh looking photos. It gives the user a choice of wide angle and telephoto zooms (18mm being the wide, 135mm being the long or telephoto). One can opt for a macro lens or specialist wide angle lens later on once you have had at least 6 months experience with the kit lens. I recommend you play around with the A,P and S and M dials as much as possible and avoid shooting in Auto(shooting programs). There are so many configurations available with the in-camera processor, more than any other camera in this price range (32 I think). The viewfinder also tells you if you have locked focus and whether or not your exposure is perfect, with 11 focusing points (again more than any camera in this price range). What more do I have to say ? Order it now! I'd also recommend you purchase a circular polarizer, a UV filter (protection against the sun's harmful rays) and a good quality microfibre cloth to clean the lens (don't forget a bag for this awesome camera, preferably a Lowepro or Tamrac). Trust me, once you get out there and take your first couple of shots, you will fall in love with the D80.

5.0 out of 5 stars D80 Simply best for the money, 22 May 2008
Sn Baines (st albans, hertfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Have gone thru quite a few different cameras over the last 18 months and finally settled on the D80.
Some reviewers rattle on about all the amazing features that the competion has ie Stabilty,live view and the like.
The D80 gets marked down for not having all this stuff but i think there all missing the point, let me explain why the D80 is the best for the money .
This is what i call a real enthuiasts Dslr, build quality is simply superb ,looks fantasic and handles great with a very usefull Info LCD on top as well.
But the main plus is it takes AMAZING images fullstop ! it made an olympus Dslr i had prev seem like a compact in comparision ,thats the one with the bells and whistles i mentioned earlier !
This is not an entry level camera ,a comment i hate by the way so you are def a step ahead of the mass competion for hardly any more money, and remember D80 has it,s own internal focusing motor so takes every lens ever.
Many features are shared with the D200 as well, and the viewfinder is stunning with pentaprism rather then budget pentamirror.
Did i mention 11 point focusing as well .
Buy this camera and you won,t go wrong and forget about the new obsession with live view , do you really want to look like all those people standing around with cameras at arms length frowning away !
Viewfinders are for composing properly and if you don,t agree buy a compact or such like and get all the silly gimmics you,ll never need.
The marketing it seems to me is trying to convince us that Dslr,s should be more like compacts bla bla bla, bit like the megapixel race that some people have fallen for as well.
Dust reduction is not a bad thing to have butit,s not the end of the world,99% of the time ive got a very light and compact Sigma 18-200mm lens on anyway which i picked up for £85 on Ebay.
Don,t get me wrong i really like some of the bridge cameras out there but if your looking for a really excellent photographic tool then concentrate on the basics that you really need.
Also notice how after 2 yrs the D80 still commands good money compared when it came out, look at all the other stuff out there (canon excluded) after about a yr they add on more things and the prev one plummets.
Incidently i really respect the canons but the very plasic e feeling bodys just leave me a bit cold and they don,t seem to handle quite so well.
Remember form is Temporary class is permanent !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic equipment ..., 25 July 2008
A. Sikaria (Northampton,UK) - See all my reviews
I purchase the D80 about 3 weeks back and I am very happy to have made this purchase. The results are great !! I cannot call myself an advance photographer but having done photography for the past 5 years on N80 (film SLR) I am ahead of a beginner.

The hand controls are amazing and in the manual mode the camera can give great results. The best thing I like is the clarity and the way camera responds to you.

I would not suggest anyone to burn their money on D200 (unless you are a pro who needs those advance features). D80 is a good value for money and a fantastic equipment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile Performer, 15 Aug 2008
Dr. S. Wilkinson "simonwilkinson2" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
I have always been a Nikon fan having owned two previous film Nikon SLRs. I've had my digital D80 for about a year and a half and it has revolutionised and reinvigorated my hobby. Its main strengths is its ability to shoot in RAW format and apply corrections through software and then undo them if necessary without affecting the original image. At 10 megapixels it will allow sizable enlargements to be made that are pin sharp. I've done travel photography, architecture, indoor, nature, night and motor sport shooting which all require different techniques - the D80 performs in all fields.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive upgrade!, 28 Dec 2008
Having been a dedicated follower of Canon for the last few years, the swap came as something of a surprise to myself to be quite honest. The Canon 350D served me so so well, that I thought I would struggle trying to come to terms with an alternative layout.

Not the case.

The Nikon D80 is not only user friendly, but the perfect step forwards from the entry level DSLR. With outstanding functions and a comfortable build, it is a ideal step forwards.

Being a very choosy character when it comes to all aspects of my camera, I like to test every inch of a camera. From the way it feels in my hand, to the way it handles in the cold weather. Being a very outdoor photographer, I found that with my 350D, it became a little slow to respond when exposed to colder conditions. No such trouble with the Nikon.

Understandably this is not the main selling point, but just one aspect in a long line of superlatives.

A must have for the Intermediate DSLR user!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›