Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 February 2011
I play amateur classical guitar (very poorly), so I understand exactly how difficult it is to get it right. I follow all of the great classical guitarists from Segovia to Williams, who play many of the pieces she has chosen - the masters have done it all before, of course. But these recordings from Xue Fei Yang are beautiful almost beyond description - her technique is exquisitely precise, yet fluid and expressive! I was literally reduced to tears (of pleasure) by hearing pieces, like Tarrega's 'Recuerdos de la Alhambra', that I have heard a hundred times before from dozens of guitarists, played in a way that goes beyond anything I believed possible. It was a shock to hear it! Extraordinary!
VINE VOICEon 20 May 2007
I heard of this CD from a HiFi magazine where the reviewer used it for assessing some kit. He raved about its technical quality as well as its musical merit. I bought it on spec and it is everything he said. The recording is absolutely stunning, you can hear every nuance of her playing. And the choice of music varies from pop through folk to classic and traditional Spanish. If you enjoy simple, pure guitar, brilliantly executed then this is for you.
33 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2011
This collection is very beautiful. I was most struck by the pieces that were unfamiliar to me. The more familiar ones are also given fresh new life by Xuefei's interpreataions (even the overkilled Cavatina). The artistry that is utilised here is astonishing and the sound of the guitar is as beautiful as anything I've heard for a long time. It takes a leap of faith to believe that it is a solo instrument you're listening to.
on 14 April 2013
Stunning clarity from this exceptional artist. The playing appears effortless whilst at the same time impressing with its virtuosity. Fantastic!
on 3 August 2009
I first heard this disc on an international flight and knew instantly that I had to have my own copy. Even with the noise while on board, I was struck by the colour and lively rubato and characterful phrasing. Listening to it properly shows a musician in total command of voice, articulation and sure of musical direction. A star album for me.
on 21 December 2013
She plays, and looks, like an angel. Nothing particularly unusual here but it's all lovely. There is also a few Chinese peices which are gorgeous.
on 14 November 2014
great guitar performance, beautiful style. You can see John Williams influence, Excellent selection of Latin songs.
on 9 August 2014
I was disappointed with this cd. Nothing new or exciting about it
on 22 June 2013
As I have said before this girl can really play, watch out David Russell & Milos Karadaglic she is up there with you boys.
on 11 January 2011
I'm someone who likes to dabble in classical music mostly to relax, and bought this based on the other 5 star reviews by informed fans of the genre, which I am not. The pieces are both classical and modern giving a nice range, many are relaxing, and in the right mood all are absorbing. As a guitarist I marvel at her skill - she is an incredibly accomplished musician. Update: from 3 to 4 stars - it's growing on me!