5.0 out of 5 stars Saw this Live
Having seen this live in Blackpool, on the actual night this DVD was recorded, I cannot recommend this show highly enough. It is very rude, but absolutely hilarious and it's great to see Paddy stepping out of Peter Kay's shadow at last. My only hope is they include the support act on the 'extras', as he was brilliant too!!!
Published on 25 Oct 2006 by L. Palmer

1.0 out of 5 stars just awful
The title of my review says it all to be honest.

How this even got released is beyond me, it failed to raise a single smile and I started to really dislike McGuiness as it went on.

His humour is based entirely around swearing and his act degenerates into little more than a series of foul mouthed rants as it falls apart around him on this DVD...
Published on 12 Oct 2008 by An avid reader

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars just awful, 12 Oct 2008
An avid reader (Newcastle upon Tyne) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paddy McGuinness - Live [DVD] (DVD)
The title of my review says it all to be honest.

Now I'm no prude and am not against bad language per se but there has to be a point to it, if it's used constantly, repeatedly and without imagination it loses all effect and becomes pointless and just annoying - that's what happens here.

If I had been at the recording of this I would have walked out.

Peter Kay or Dave Spikey this man is most certainly not, if anything, he is riding on the back of their success.

The material on show here is no better than amateur hour in a local working mens club. In fact it's a bit like one of those horrible auditions at the end of Phoenix Nights.

Embarassingly bad - I only gave it 1 star because I couldnt give it 0.

2.0 out of 5 stars a little dissapointing, 23 Sep 2008
This review is from: Paddy McGuinness - Live [DVD] (DVD)
Paddy McGuinness was a great comedy actor in Phoenix Nights and a great TV presenter, but his stand up just doesn't seem to work. It's very crude and he swears for the sake of it, he also takes the piss out of the audience far too much; which indicates that he perhaps doesn't have a lot of material. That that he does have is a bit dated and cliché, talking about shagging birds etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars terrible, 9 Oct 2012
This review is from: Paddy McGuinness - Live [DVD] (DVD)
I bought it as another addition to my stand-up comedy collection. out of almost 100 dvds, its the only one i regret buying. and it only cost me £2.03. so yeh, utter disappointment. hes like one of those guys down the pub who the idiots sit around and seem entertained by but noone really finds funny. i watched it all the way through before i could criticise, and i wish id stuck to my original plan within the 1st 3 minutes and turning it off. that woman he bent over in front of everyone is someones daughter/girlfriend/wife. not funny at all

1.0 out of 5 stars Too much swearing by far!!!, 12 Feb 2012
C. Kilby - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paddy McGuinness - Live [DVD] (DVD)
For some reason I didn't read any reviews of this DVD before buying it, oh how I wish I had! I didn't know anything of Paddy except seeing him on 'Take me out' and hearing him on the radio but wanted to give it a try. I would usually watch a good bit of a DVD before deciding whether I liked it or not, hoping that it would 'warm up as the show went on'. This started out badly and didn't improve. I can deal with a certain amount of swearing but this was just awful! Just about every second word was a swear word and the 'jokes', for want of a better word, were just not funny! I will not be bothering to watch this man ever again.

1.0 out of 5 stars A stand-up based on swearing...not a good sign., 1 Nov 2011
This review is from: Paddy McGuinness - Live [DVD] (DVD)
If you want to do stand-up and do a few jokes with swearing in it...that's fine but don't over do the swearing because that will deter away from the funny and Paddy McGuinness is a prime example of that. Most of his routines is based on swearing and that's not a very funny sign.

1.0 out of 5 stars No one will be in danger of dying from laughing watching this!, 2 Jan 2007
This review is from: Paddy McGuinness - Live [DVD] (DVD)
Having been a great fan of Phoenix Nights and Max and Paddy I cannot believe that the writers of those shows had any input in this boringly crude and totally unfunny DVD. What a waste of money! I couldn't bother to watch it to the end and observing the faces of many in the audience who were struggling to force smiles, I was so relieved that I hadn't wasted even more money by buying a ticket to the show. I find it hard to believe that Paddy MeGuiness hasn't got any close friends or family who would be honest with him and tell him what utter embarrassing rubbish the entire act was. He will have to rely on the reviews from his former fans on Amazon!

There isn't anyone I know who I could pass this onto, so it went into the bin on Boxing Day!

1.0 out of 5 stars What can I say........, 6 Jan 2007
Mrs. J. Shaw "Buffy Shaw" (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paddy McGuinness - Live [DVD] (DVD)
apart from, I was so dissapointed, I expected a lot from Paddy McGuinness and got non of it, it was childish humour with lots of swearing in order to be funny. It didn't work. I have no problem with swearing, or blue comedy (I love Billy Connolly and Ross Noble). Maybe he should stick to acting he's very good and funny at that.

1.0 out of 5 stars I watched this **** so you don't have to!, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: Paddy McGuinness - Live [DVD] (DVD)
This isn't a review - it's a warning. It is a heartfelt warning to anyone who is tempted to part with even a modest sum of money in order to own this shiny plastic disc that purports to be a stand up comedy DVD.

To purchase this DVD would be a mistake, to watch it would be masochistic. For your sake, I pray you heed this warning, walk away now and forget that you ever heard of Patrick Joseph McGuinness, let alone entertained the idea that he is, or ever will be, a stand up comedian.

To this very day, I do not know how or why I sat through this DVD in its entirety, but I did. It took all the stamina and willpower I could muster to see it through to the bitter end and I survived. Take it from someone who has somehow managed to emerge largely unscathed from the experience, that Paddy McGuinness' woefully inept attempt at comedy is no laughing matter.

I have to admit that my expectations were low before I inflicted this DVD upon myself, but nothing could possibly have prepared me for how utterly appalling it was. The absence of anything that could possibly be construed as a joke or humour is one thing, but the breathtaking arrogance with which this delusional man struts around the stage genuinely believing that he is a capable stand up comedian is infuriating. Far from being amused, I initially found myself perplexed; a feeling that was soon followed by a sense of genuine anger that a man with no comedic ability whatsoever was somehow performing in front of a large and inexplicably appreciative paying audience.

And what of that audience? Who are these people? Whoever they are, I fear for their mental well being. For them it is too late, there is no hope for them.

After the event I found myself asking some searching questions. How on earth had this man formed an idea in his conscious mind that he was a comedian? Was he encouraged to do this and why? You see, Paddy McGuinness' "act" is reminiscent of a loudmouthed braggart in the local pub talking about sex. In fact, that's all it is, nothing more and nothing less and, in his mind at least, this passes for stand up comedy.

As I suspected when I spied this DVD languishing in a reduced bin alongside various Z list celebrities' workout DVDs, his longstanding friendship with a certain Peter Kay is the only reason Mr. McGuinness is in the same solar system as a comedy stage. The really annoying aspect of this is the fact that Paddy McGuinness is so arrogant and so deluded that he genuinely believes he is where he is on merit. Believe me when I tell you that he isn't.

In simple terms, this is, without question, the most pathetic attempt at comedy it has ever been my misfortune to witness.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor!!!, 3 Jan 2007
This review is from: Paddy McGuinness - Live [DVD] (DVD)
I love stand up, and i have got over 20 stand up dvds from lots of people! But this is the first one i have got that i did not laugh at more than once! Its a weak version of peter kay / chubby brown!! Very weak! He is just not a good stand up!

1.0 out of 5 stars Trying to be the next Peter Kay..., 26 Dec 2006
A. Greenwood (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paddy McGuinness - Live [DVD] (DVD)
Paddy McGuinness is clearly trying to ride off the back of Peter Kays fame and he sounds like him and acts like him but sadly he has none of the comedy talent! He rely's on swearing and saying rude things to be funny but he's not! It just made me cringe. And im not some old moaning woman who doesnt like anything rude, im a 19 year old student and love a bit of blue!! But this really did nothing for me at all.

Im selling the copy i got for xmas, anyone interested??? lol

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Paddy McGuinness - Live [DVD]
Paddy McGuinness - Live [DVD] by Paddy Mcguinness (DVD - 2006)