5.0 out of 5 stars All-time favourite building bricks
Everybody loves LEGO.....

Our two 3 year old boys love playing with their boxes of lego, they will sit for hours (really, 3 year olds CAN sit still!!) creating obscure buildings and vehicles.... and they dont even argue over the pieces! It's a miracle toy :)

Published on 13 Jan. 2010 by S. Rainbow

3.0 out of 5 stars Bucket of air
Contents miniscule in comparison to the box size - a real disappointment. When unpacked, the bricks barely cover the bottom of the box - in fact, they might just fit in the top lid.

All the houses shown are fairly 1 dimensional, which not only creates its own construction issues, it limits the playability of the final product.

Far better value is...
Published on 18 Aug. 2009 by Supertzar

3.0 out of 5 stars Bucket of air, 18 Aug. 2009
This review is from: LEGO 6166 Large Brick Box (Toy)

Far better value is LEGO 6194: My LEGO® Town - a lot more Lego, a similar price, but no plastic box.

5.0 out of 5 stars All-time favourite building bricks, 13 Jan. 2010
S. Rainbow "honeybee alphabet" (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
Everybody loves LEGO.....

The box is large enough to fit in several extra packs of LEGO, but the bricks that it comes with are ample for building with. (The box is approx 1/5 full when purchased)

And when the boys are in bed, we have been known to get their LEGO back out to play with- all in the name of research of course!! :)

Definitely a recommended toy for children of all ages (even over 30s)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lego: Classic fun that never goes out of fashion, 31 Aug. 2012
Lee Duncan "M.Duncan" (Fife) - See all my reviews
* The Product *

The Blue brick tub consists of a durable blue tub with lid that keeps everything secure inside. There are around 450 bricks which range from the standard sizes to Lego men, hair, steering wheels and more.
You also receive a booklet which gives you instructions to make a range of race cars, tractor, helicopter and boat and you can download further instructions online.

* Why this product *

We have 3 sons less than 7 years of age. They are typical boys and are very much about cars, speed and creating things (and subsequently breaking them and leaving the mess to mum to tidy).

Over the years we have purchased so many toys that are played with and then left gathering dust after a few months which frustrates me. As a 'education pushing' mum I like toys that will not go out of fashion, will stimulate their minds and really inspire them so Lego was way up in regards to my favourite types of toys.

We purchased the box because my eldest son likes to make cars and after buying some of the mini kits that enable you to make set cars he was inspired to add 'vrooms' as he calls it. (Large exhaust parts and spoilers).

The box is also great because they know that it is where the Lego lives. As soon as they have finished creating new buildings, cars, houses and magical wonderlands they know that they have to put all of the bits back in to the box which then lives nice and tidy under their beds. Luckily we have had no issues with them throwing bits around their rooms or tipping the whole lot of the bricks out on to their floor - yet.

* My son's verdicts *

My sons all love their Lego and we find that when the house turns quiet they are generally building something in their room. They love that they can alter their creations to what they currently like such as my eldest loves race cars so he always builds them, my middle son loves super heroes so he generally builds buildings that Spiderman can fly off and my youngest loves football so he builds football stadiums.

I find that they will play constantly with Lego for weeks on end and then they don't for a few weeks, although they take gaps they always come back to it and when they want to build something new they are have a box of inspiration at their fingertips.

* Parents Verdict *

Lego just doesn't go out of fashion does it? My husband is always showing my sons what he used to make when he was their age and it's just so heart warming seeing the connection. I love Lego because I love seeing my children happy; as soon as they have built something they love nothing more than coming to show us their creations with huge grins on their faces.

We also find that it is one toy that they do look after and unlike many of their other (more expensive counterparts) their Lego has not broken after a few weeks of play. Another positive is that you can download more instructions to create completely new Lego makes for free and you can buy separate pieces online.

If you purchase other kits such as the mini kits my son bought, they also integrate in to the box and can be used together.

* Conclusion *
I award the Lego blue box the full five out of five for being a classical toy staple that never looses it's appeal. I hope it is something that my sons remain interested in until they are fully grown.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, 4 Jan. 2013
In My Honest Opinion (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: LEGO 6166 Large Brick Box (Toy)
Both my Sons love lego, but I bought this for my younger Son. We have never had one of the baseplates before so that was a bonus. For those that say there are not many bricks for such a large box. I didn't expect the box to be full and actually wanted it to store all the other lego we have so it has come in handy for that as well.

All three of my children have been using this since Christmas building lots of different things. I'm really pleased with it and although I didn't pay this price, I do think it is worth at least £30 when you factor in the baseplate, storage box and lego.

Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lego, 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: LEGO 6166 Large Brick Box (Toy)
Great but I was expecting a big box and the lego barely covered the bottom would of preferred the box to contain more Lego

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice starter lego set, 15 Mar. 2011
J. K. Lockstone (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO 6166 Large Brick Box (Toy)
I recently purchased this for my 4 year old. It is a nice starter set. Enough lego to get started and make a couple of things but not too expensive. Box is durable and good size. When the lego is unpacked it only fills about one third of the box so plenty of room to buy extras, which you will need if your child gets really interested. Would make a nice present. I was pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly entertaining!, 25 April 2011
This review is from: LEGO 6166 Large Brick Box (Toy)
I don't know who enjoy it more, my son or I!! The box is neat, blocks are of enough variety to build many objects and it's quite good way to increase children's abilities. The manual has the necessary instructions to build different shapes (cars, planes, houses, etc), but yet leave quite a room for imagination. This is a great educational piece and quite an entertaining one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent start kit, 31 Oct. 2009
This review is from: LEGO 6166 Large Brick Box (Toy)
My 5 year old's first set of lego. Once he had built up a few items following the instructions (with our help), his imagination was widely opened and he started to build with his own design.

The bricks are not so many but you can mix up with mega. The box is handy and useful to accommodate more bricks.

5.0 out of 5 stars lego box, 26 Jun. 2008
Mrs. Anne Lacy-pettit (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO 6166 Large Brick Box (Toy)
Great toy, but outrageously expensive on Amazon. Go to Woolworths or the Lego website and it's £19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect as a STARTER pack, 15 Nov. 2011
M. Ward (Newark, Nottinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO 6166 Large Brick Box (Toy)
I bought this a few months back for my nephews birthday. Amazon had it as the cheapest around at the time, so I felt I was getting value for money.

I'm pretty certain you can't build everything that is shown on the box at the same time, due to the amount of bricks, but it is certainly good for a starter pack.

As someone has already stated you don't get a great deal of bricks, but because I saw the size of the box in the shop, I knew the box would never be full because lego is so expensive anyway.

And because the box has so much space left it means you can put more lego in it from different packs and keep them all together.

LEGO 6166 Large Brick Box