5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!
Quatermass finds himself on the scene of an archaeological dig in a London tube station, where a rather unexpected object is found. He soon realises it's a relic from an old colonisation attempt several million years earlier. The invaders are long dead, but a compelling memory still lurks in Hob's Lane...

I first saw this film two decades ago, when I managed to...
Published on 27 May 2007 by Sheffielder

3.0 out of 5 stars Dual Format but not Double Play
I know others have commented on the fact that the DVD in the Dual Format edition does not contain the extras that are on the Blu-ray, and this raises an interesting question: if StudioCanal aren't going to add anything new to their already available DVD then why issue a Dual Format edition in the first place? Why not just issue a Blu-ray, thus clarifying the fact that...
Published 11 months ago by Buchanan

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars welcome to the pit!!, 22 Dec 2010
Mr. R. Wolfe "U.N.E.D.O" (RUTLAND UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quatermass And The Pit [DVD] (DVD)
I love the film it still scares me those martian boys they bother me so much i have bought a life size model from the us we just love being scared a great film you just cannot beat orignals lets hope no trys

4.0 out of 5 stars hominids, 17 Jan 2010
James Wells "Cambyses" (KSA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quatermass And The Pit [DVD] (DVD)
Wherever Nigel Kneale got the figure of 5 million years from it was uncannily accurate.

The DNA specialists state that the human race finally seperated from the great apes at 5-6 million years ago. The earliest known hominid remains are dated to about 5 million years ago so the theories and Kneale are in excellent agreement.

The great apes and mankind apparently shared a common possibly bipedal ancestor, the humans remained bipedal and the apes lost it.

Could it have been the insect like martians who engineered that final seperation and enforced bipedalism?

Despite all the attempts by TV to depict aliens, this TV series and the movie are the only depictions that I ever found both scary and even believable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slightly updated thriller, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: Quatermass And The Pit [DVD] (DVD)
If you like your Sci-Fi with something different, despite there being other versions of this story abounding, smartly delivered, slightly cliched from the early 50's time, the colour will bring the best of this story out. Good with fish and chips (and a beer, perhaps?).

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Film Worth Watching Again!, 28 Sep 2013
Spiff (Glasgow Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I don't normally write reviews for films but I just had to add my own .02 cents here. Like a lot of people here I too was scared half to death by this film when I was about 10. Mezmerized by it's hyper-realism and compelling storyline the images have played back in my mind over and over again. Like a lot of people, I'll never forget the terrifying conclusion with the crane.

Now that I'm much older and wiser I can look back on a film like this with a critical eye. Sometimes this is a bad thing to do because it spoils the film. Sadly, I can't watch old Doctor Who episodes with the same wide eyed naiviety I once had. I think thats because Dr. Who doesn't take itself too seriously. So perhaps the sign of a really good science fiction film is just how well it can pull off taking itself too seriously without losing it's audience.

Fortunately, this film still holds up after all these years. One reason is that in the 1970's special effects were limited. Film makers had to rely on their own creativity to pull off "believability." Plus the film started off as a t.v. series in the 1950's and so the character development and the writing were extremely well defined. Now-a-days, the starting point of any film is it's budget. They spend their money on lots of special effects because the budget limits the amount of energy dedicated to writing and character development.

At the heart of a film like Quatermass and the Pit is the writing and character development. I see the real intelligence behind the story is the subtle interplay between what we consider to be "evil" in the world and that which we consider "alien."

Over the years dozens and dozens of sci-fi films have interwoven "evil" and "alien" almost to the point of exasperation. Films often attempt to protray a virus as "alien," which never truly pulls me in. However, I've seen two sci-fiction films recently which show just how far the genre has come and is willing to go.

The first was The Dyatlov Pass Indicent based losely on a 1950's Russian hiking expidition which went horribly wrong. And the second was the Europa Report. In this film astronauts set off to explore the ice covered moon which is in orbit around the planet Jupiter. It's been speculated for years that there may be unfrozen water under the ice and that it may harbor life. Both films play on the Blair Witch "lost footage" franchise which honestly has always been a little weak.

The interesting thing about these films, however is that although they touch on both evil and alien metaphors, neither one of them touch on much that is new. Although somewhat entertaining they won't sustain the test of time. They end up in the 2 bin at your local super market.

When I look back on an old film like Quatermass and the Pit, it's like meeting an old friend. The quality of the film has stood the test of time. This is the standard to which a good science fiction film can be measured.

Just my .02 cents worth!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, 5 Sep 2013
Roy Spackman (Wales U,.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quatermass And The Pit [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this because an old friend of ours has a small part in it Played the part of a Journalist

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 18 July 2013
Seen this film sooo many times, but its really nice to see it on blu ray. Picture quality good, and the film was reasonably priced.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of Hammer's 'Quatermass' series, 12 July 2013
Better than any of the other Hammer movie remakes of the original 'Quatermass' television series, 'Quatermass and the Pit' shines both in its plot, its characters and its production values. Andrew Keir's Professor Quatermass is my second favourite performance by any actor who has portrayed the man (my top pick being Andre Morell in the original TV version of Quatermass and the Pit). On blu-ray this movie takes my breath away. It makes me wish I could have been born early enough to have seen this picture on the big screen back in 1967! In my opinion, though, this disk is the next best thing. Simply fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still gripping, 29 Jun 2013
This is one of my favourite films and I was delighted to get it on blue ray. The transfer is pretty good except for the first scene but after that it seems very good and enhances a terrific film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Hammer Film Of Them All, 26 April 2013
This review is from: Quatermass And The Pit [DVD] (DVD)
This science fiction drama is a masterpiece.The dialogue and characters build the tension
in a way that make it seem more like a documentary.The special effects are excellent.
Rarely did Hammer make use of sound so effectively as here.The picture quality is fantastic,
Barbara Shelley is gorgeous while Andrew Keir turns in a winning performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Underated creeky classic, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Quatermass And The Pit [DVD] (DVD)
I'm not a big sci-fi or horror fan and if there's a Hammer film on TV I'm not the one determined to watch it. However, I first saw 'Quatermass and the Pit' on TV back in the 1980s and loved it from the first. Made (and set) in 1967 it is quite dated and mostly shot on a backlot rather than on location in London which is a shame especially as it's centred around an Underground railway station. Some of the animations and special effects are not as good as they could be and even for 1967 I'd say they were a bit ropey then! So, if it's got a number of holes, why do I like it so much?

Basically it's a darned good story that could actually be true, plus it has some good performances. In places it's also surprisingly scarey without resorting to blood and violence.

To get the most of this, watch it on a cold and dark evening - and definitely with the lights off.

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa0bd16c0)

Quatermass And The Pit [DVD]
Quatermass And The Pit [DVD] by Roy Ward Baker (DVD - 2006)
10.97