5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection?
I genuinely do not think it is possible, to find a better film (in its genre) than "The Railway Children". The cast is outstanding, the story charming and everything just perfect! There is so much one can say about this classic film, but it has to be seen to be properly enjoyed.

Published on 5 Jun. 2009 by UK Filmbuff

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Both films are really good, but the "Swallows and Amazons" DVD keeps jumping towards the end. This also happened on a previous purchase of this DVD and Amazon replaced it. However I have only just had chance to watch the whole DVD and realize it is jumping towards the end and I am now over the 30 days return limit!
Published on 27 Jun. 2011 by Neat

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection?, 5 Jun. 2009
UK Filmbuff "filmbuff1382" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Classic Children's Films - Swallows and Amazons/The Railway Children [DVD] (DVD)

Swallows and Amazons, too, is a lovely film, with a charming story. There is no action; there are no special effects and there is no love story! It is about innocence and fun.

Both of these films are timeless and an absolute must for the collector.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something for Everyone, 12 Dec. 2010
Captain Pike (Sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
"The Railway Children" is one of those rare films that entertains everyone in my family, from my 81-year-old mother to my five-year-old son and is perfect for a gloomy, wintry, Sunday afternoon. I've lost count of how many times I've watched it, but I still can't sit through the final scene without blinking back the tears - slightly embarrassing for a man in his mid-40s!

"Swallows and Amazons" is a different affair. The children's acting is variable and very little happens, but my normally cynical 11-year-old son was enchanted by it. I think he simply enjoyed watching a film in which children had complete freedom to come and go as they pleased, with only the minimum of adult supervision. What child wouldn't want to spend their summer holidays sailing around a lake and camping on uninhabited islands?

My mother fell asleep after 15 minutes.

I quite enjoyed "Swallows and Amazons". It plodded along a little, but the scenery was beautiful and I found the story delightful.

I would have happily have paid the cover price for either one of these films. To get both together at a price that is lower than some DVD rental places, makes this a real bargain. These aren't films you'll only want to watch once, so I'd thoroughly recommend buying this two-in-one set.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Railway Children/Swallows and Amazons, 19 Nov. 2009
I bought this dvd for my 9 year old grand daughter, as I had recently read the Railway Children with her, and was very pleased to find it was the one I remembered from my past, with Jenny Agutter as Bobby. We both loved it, and each had tears in our eyes at the end! We are going to watch the other film next week. I am glad that these timeless children's classics are still available for anothe generation of children largely raised on WIIs and American TV programmes. carol ross

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 16 April 2010
Roger L. Sayer "Lenedwin" (MUKILTEO, Washington USA) - See all my reviews
These are charming films about people, especially children, living in decent uncomplicated times. Maybe modern children or even grown ups older than fifty wouldn't identify with the characters in these movies, but for me they bring back many fond memories. The stories are part of my childhood and back then often repeated in books and on the radio.
But despite the glitz of television, cell phones, violent action films, the internet and computer games, people are basically unchanged. And I think that most would enjoy these gems. They are technically adequate, and well acted. Beautiful English enunciated correctly, no vulgarity just simple, lovely story telling.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Railway Children/Swallows & Amazons- a classic, 29 Sept. 2010
The Railway Children seemed to capture the imaginations of my kids (6, 9 & 11). I remember the film myself many years ago. The part when the running boy fell in the tunnel seemed as scary & risky to them as it had done to me, all those years ago. Some parts now seem quite out of date; their very well spoken voices & outfits, the earth slide was pretty unconvincing (especially with such good modern computer technology about now)- but the story still holds true & it's a time gone by. Nostalgic and carefree. Swallows & Amazons was slightly less exciting to my kids, although they did happily watch it & ask questions. The found much of it funny, not always in the funny places- the way the actors speak seems pretty old fashioned now, but a good story & fun, especially for my 6 yr old son. Great to have two classic films together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old ones, but great ones, 7 Sept. 2010
H. Snaith (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
Two wonderful films, which are beauitful and faithful interpretations of their respective novels. Jennie Agutter in Railway children is an especial delight. My daughter (7) and son (4) absolutely love both these films! They can quote them pretty much word for word they have watched them so often! And they often play make-believe games as one or other of the characters - there is so much for their imaginations. And they prefer them to all the Disney films they've seen. So although the stories don't have lots of whizzes and bangs, unlike most modern children's films there is something much more real and immediate about them that they can connect with. Highly recommended, for children of all ages!

5.0 out of 5 stars Swallows & Amazons/The Railway Children, 26 Aug. 2010
Always loved The Railway Children, good family entertainment, one to be enjoyed by all ages. Simply had to buy it after seeing The Railway children on stage at Waterloo Station, fantastic!

Never seen Swallows and Amazons before, again enjoyable,light hearted family entertainment.
Good value double DVD.

Would recommend, to lighten up a wet weekend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless reminder of childhood, 4 Nov. 2010
Andrew Johnson "AJ" (Cheam, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
The DVD case was cracked and damaged when I received.....that's the down side.
The Railway Children is the film I bought the double set for.
This is such a great film and I loved it when I was small.
We took our kids to see The Railway Children at Waterloo station and this triggered them getting interested. So I bought the film......and they adored it.
Swallows and Amazons I never watched as a kid so we are now waiting for another family moment to watch that one too.
Highly recommended.....and much better value than trying to buy it at Blockbuster (£12.49 for the double set there).

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last My Favourite Christmas Film is Guaranteed...thank you, 18 Jan. 2011
For years I looked forward to "Swallows and Amazons" at Christmas...Claude Whatham's film is the best...but in recent years my wife has scanned the Radio Times for it without success. (I suspect it is not politically correct to broadcast 'decency' in any media. It probably doesn't get the viewing figures either.) To my delight my wife gave me the DVD for Christmas. I hope to play it every Christmas from now on.
My favourite is Titty and I like the policeman, played by David Blagden, a good choice for the film since he sailed a 19foot yacht across the Atlantic single-handed. Sadly, later, run down and drowned in the Irish Sea. "...but he was no 'duffer'"

5.0 out of 5 stars Swallows and Amazons/The Railway Children, 4 Jan. 2010
Two classic kids' films which everybody should see. I remembered them from my childhood and my kids love them too. Strangely, they do a lot to remind you that you don't have to spend your day in front of the TV!