5.0 out of 5 stars What's He On About?
Not sure what Nigel Wilson's on about, but this HAS to have 5 stars. Not quite sure about the influences that the Amazon writers level at the guys either. The Killers are CLEARLY influenced by The Cure more so than any other band that they are mentioned in the same breath as, although I have to agree that the U2 comparison with Sam's Town sits well.

OK, the...
Published on 1 Oct 2006 by Simpo

3.0 out of 5 stars the first album made you "hot" this one will make you"cold"
Having loved "Hot fuss" when it first came out i was defo looking forward to this the second album.
After hearing "when we were young" on the radio i thought the rest of the album would be quite similar.how wrong was i,even though the killers are a great band and feel sure they will be around a lot longer to make even better albums,this one is a poor let down...
Published on 2 Oct 2006 by SID .V.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's He On About?, 1 Oct 2006
Simpo "the_simon" (The End of the World) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sam's Town (Audio CD)

OK, the album. Opens with Sam's Town ,which should be familiar to fans on Hot Fuss, great guitar and vocal melodies. Enterude leads really well into When You Were Young, a classic Killers song that could easily have been included on Hot Fuss without the apparent detachment from the last album. From here we move through Bling and into For Reasons Unknown, which I think is form where the simliarities with U2 stem.

The other tracks cross from one to the other with an ease that makes the listening experience PASSIONATE. No highlights. Every track is fantastic. Really fantastic. Love it or Love it, there's no choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic follow up, 3 Oct 2006
This review is from: Sam's Town (Audio CD)
I'd been waiting for the follow up to Hot Fuss and was worried that it would prove the 'difficult second album' and disappoint me. Thankfully I was wrong and I think this is a better album than the first. The band sound confident in their sound and Brandon's voice is as charismatic and unique as ever. Bones and Can You read my mind stand out as the best tracks to me (after 2 days listening!) but there is not really a weak track on the album. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Different, but equally wonderful..., 29 Sep 2006
William Hill (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sam's Town (Audio CD)
OK, so truth be told it took me a long time to come round to Hot Fuss - the New Wave look and heavy synth-pop sound was a little hard to swallow for someone who hated it all the first time around. Still, Mr. Brightside was clearly an amazing single and I found myself listening to the rest of the album without really meaning to. It ended up being one of those go-to albums, that you automatically put on when you can't think what to listen to. A great album, no doubt, even if it took me a while to realise it.

No such problems here. I loved Sam's Town from the first minute I pressed play on my CD player, and even though I've listened to pretty much nothing else for the last week or so, all I'm finding are new things to enjoy. Now, a word of caution at this point - The Killers are going to take a lot of abuse for this one from some critics, and probably some of their own fans (check the Rolling Stone review for a predictable example of the former) because the one thing Sam's Town is not, is Hot Fuss Vol. II.

The 80s influenced melodrama-pop is pretty much entirely absent, except for a in few bars of Bling and Read My Mind - what they have done instead is embrace the American musical heritage of Springsteen and Neil Young (and even, in a couple of places, the kings of the desert, QOTSA), amped up their choruses and unleashed an album full of soaring anthems, about highways and hurricanes, cocaine and casinos and girls with pretty names - and for me, it's wonderful. And I'm sure I won't be the only one who thinks so. I defy anyone to listen to Bling (even though it has a genuinely awful title), Bones or the jaw-dropping This River Is Wild without feeling your heart surge against your chest like it did the first time you heard Born To Run...

See, this is what I don't really get about the criticism that has already come their way, and will I'm sure intensify once the album starts to sell the millions of copies it inevitably will - this is an American band, who have never made any secret of their desire to reach the U2/Coldplay level, recording an album of absolutely American, joyously crowd-pleasing music. Honestly, someone is going to have to explain to me what is wrong with that...

5.0 out of 5 stars The dreaded secong album past with flying colours!!, 3 Oct 2006
This review is from: Sam's Town (Audio CD)
Anybody who thought Hot Fuss couldn't be beaten - think again!!

This album proves The Killers have matured into one of the best bands in the world.

"When you were young" was a great choice for an opening single but it certainly isn't the best song on the album! This, in my opinion is "Read my mind" which proves that the Killers have come of age! Brandon Flowers says that this is the best song that they have ever written - he's not wrong!

Great albums have great tracks throughout - this is one of them. It has singles littered all over. "Read ny Mind" is obvious but "Uncle Jonny" "Bones" and "The River is Wild" will certainly follow!!

Without doubt this is the best album that will be released this year - go and buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic..., 3 Oct 2006
A. Hargrave "fantasy fanatic" (Wick, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sam's Town (Audio CD)
After an amazing first album, the second doesn't just equal it, it betters it. Some of the tracks on "Sam's Town" will be remebered forever, most evedently "bones", which is, i have to say, the best song i've heard in a long time.

The lyrics on the album are, like the last album, amazing, and the ones on "when you were young" are the best of the last two albums.

Song 2 and 12 are in a sense strange, but musically very good, with lovely piano playing in both.

If you get an album which has the bonus track "where white boys dance", you're very lucky. The song is a master-piece and i love it.

Overall, the album is well worth its (enter price here) and a must for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Third Time's The Charm, 3 Oct 2006
This review is from: Sam's Town (Audio CD)
Once you've bought this album you will need to give it at least three run throughs and after that you'll love every song. Being a fan of the killers for a long time I must say I was disappointed to say the least after the first time I heard the album. But then the second time I realised that I must of been asleep for most of the time I was listening and saw how good it was.... by the third time I was addicted and loved every song and you will too

Different from their first album but keeping that brilliance which is hard to find, it grows on you every minute and won't leave you disappointed and for me as good if not better than Hot Fuss.

Buy This Now! But remember Third times the charm

5.0 out of 5 stars The Killers ace the "difficult" second album!!, 2 Oct 2006
J. P. Warnette "Jimbob" (Guildford, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sam's Town (Audio CD)
I've read article after article about The Killers and their latest offering, Sam's Town. I admit I couldn't help approach it with apprehension after hearing Springsteen mentioned. Personally I'd say more U2 and The Cure, but I hate to pigeon-hole artists so don't take this as gospel.

I for one loved Hot Fuss, people say it was a mixed bag, for me it was THE debut album of a lifetime. It was right on the money with every song.

Sam's Town is without shadow of a doubt different, but not in a negative light. I know how I feel when a bands says they're heading in the dreaded "new direction" after an absolutely bombastic album that you've played non-stop for months/years you cringe. Well, I do. Fear not. This is good, I'd say it has elements of genius, Flowers songwriting is top-drawer and his stories are as immediate and important as on the first album

"When you were young" is an obvious standout, its effect on me was immediate, but there are hits-a-plenty on this record "Why do I keep counting" "Bones" "Bling (Confession Of A King)" and "My List" to name a few. The opening track, Sam's Town, is a fine piece of rock music, and a fitting opening to the album, giving hints as to what lies in the following twelve tracks. Its classy lyrics with soaring guitars are now the trademark of Vegas' boys, not the electro pop that dominated its baby brother.

I'll wrap the review up here, this album is brilliant. Ignore the press, listern to a cynical fan who is chuffed to bits with this awesome offering. The Killers - Sam's Town, "burning down the highway skyline on the back of a hurricane", next stop, mega stardom.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb new album from The Killers, 9 Oct 2006
Master T. Knott "Ghostdog64" (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sam's Town (Audio CD)
This is a great new album from The Killers, but as many have said it is a big leap from Hot Fuss, with more meaningful lyrics than before. Personaly i think that this is better than Hot Fuss, as the songs vary incredibly within the album and of course the killers are using different influences in this album, which i think suits there talent better.

If you don't buy the album but want to download a few songs, i would recommend: when you were young, for reasons unknown and bones.

If you liked the Killers style in Hot Fuss you may find this album a surprise, but after a few run throughs, you should love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars That "difficult" second album, 2 Oct 2006
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sam's Town (Audio CD)
And the Killers pull it off. They certainly wear their influences on their sleeves - I get a bit of Meat loaf, a hint of Springsteen, a tad of U2 and a soupcon of Bowie, but d'you know who I think Brandon and co have been listening to...Sparks circa 1973/4. There a loads of songs that could easily be on Kimono My House and especially Propaganda - I'm listening to "Why do I keep counting" now and it is "Bon Voyage" crossed with "Complaints" and then some. Brilliant!

I only give it 4 stars as I want to hear it some more and it sounds like it would get 5 stars next week.

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to Sam's Town, 3 Oct 2006
The Fault - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sam's Town (Audio CD)
Sam's Town is the much anticipated follow up to The Killers debut Hot Fuss and sees the band taking a slightly different direction. There is a lot less 80s-style synth on the album. Sam's Town appears to be influenced by the likes of Bruce Spingsteen - it's a lot more Americana than the previous Brit-inspired album.

Initial reaction was not too favourable - I was initially underwhelmed. Whereas Hot Fuss had several anthemic tunes, Sam's Town seemed to lack in that area. But there's no denying that the first single, When You Were Young, is one of the best songs of the year.

After listening to the album some more it has grown on me a lot. When You Were Young is the strongest track in my opinion but there other standout tracks such as Uncle Johnny (with great guitar riff throughout with some great melodies being paired with the vocals perfectly) and For Reasons Unknown (which I think will be released as a single). I own the special edition which contains one bonus track but it's not very good.

To sum up, I like this album a lot. I wasn't so sure at first but gave it a chance and it's really grown on me. I think this album could divide existing fans but personally I would recommend it.

Sam's Town
Sam's Town by The Killers (Audio CD - 2006)