on 16 January 2007
This isn't a review, per see, more a comment.

Doc you say you've got a DELL PC- there's been a problem on DELL PC's with regards a Windows Update and the Cineplayer/WMP. There's a fix at both DELL's support site and the Roxio site, which resolves the issue- which involves the DVD codecs not working properly.

I installed the SE version of Roxio Easy Media 9 Suite and have found it to be really powerful, on my DELL 3.2 530 HT with 1 GByte RAM. Although, I did suffer from the DVD Codec problem until I found the patch.

After that it was plain sailing. I agree that it is a bit slow at times- but that could be that like most PC software, they don't like/aren't designed to run as multiple threads.

My main gripe is the installation of a piece of P2P software with it- that allows you to share photo's etc- which runs on startup. Consequently I disabled it, pretty sharpish.
on 24 January 2008
Took 2 hours to install, then when I rebooted it had altered the startup sequence so I ended up in the default Administrator Account. I had to edit the registry to fix that. Before installing this I had no problems reading UDF formatted CD-R's with the XP UDF reader. Now if I try to read one it crashes the PC. Avoid at all costs
on 19 July 2007
I run Windows XP SP2 160 gig HD and 1GB RAM with NO viruses or Spyware.
I had been using Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum for nearly eight years, and every time I upgraded my CD/DVD drives, there had been an update to support them, the latest being, driveup5.3.5v.exe. That was until I bought a Lite-On LH-20A1P, which had great revues in PC Advisor magazine, April 2007, DVD-R x 8 instead of my old drive at x 2.4. Unfortunately, with the latest version of my old Easy CD Creator 5 software, it would only perform as a CD writer. DVD drive "not supported" came up.
So, I ignored some of the reviews, here on Amazon, and bought Roxio Easy Media Creator 9.
It arrived and I thought it strange that the box wasn't shrink wrapped, but everything was inside. I set a Restore Point (thank goodness I did) un-installed the old version and installed the new one. Thought it was a bit slow installing but, hey, it does loads of new stuff, right. After the install had finished and the PC re-booted, I clicked on my new software, the Easy Media Creator 9 flash screen came up, then froze. I shut down the PC, re-booted and next time the flash screen disappeared, I started to look around Easy Media Creator 9, then it crashed the PC once, twice, three times, sorry that's it, I'm out of here.
I can use Nero 6 to do my DVD work with the Lite-On, and use my re-installed Easy CD Creator 5 to make my music compilations, and I'm used to it transferring my old vinyl collection to digital, and I don't get coasters.
Pity.

Update
Following on from the above, I've just installed a Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7543A DVD writer into my DELL Inspiron 6000 laptop, as the TSSTCorp DVD+RW TS-L532B that came with it never could burn a reliable DVD. Physically, the Optiarc is 2mm more recessed into the laptop housing than the Samsung drive, but works fine.
As with my desktop, the ECD Creator 5, with driveup5.3.5v.exe, software did not recognize the Optiarc as a DVD drive, so I've used Nero 6.6 to do a test DVD burn, and it's perfect.
on 1 January 2008
Simply doesn't work. Constantly crashes the O/S (XP) and is virtually unusable. I finally mastered the DVD making but the ouput product is very juddery, poor quality. I have wasted time and money.

Its as if it was thrown together with no quality control or design plan.
This looks a brilliant piece of software and I was full of optimism when I bought it.

My PC greatly exceeds the specification required yet I receive nothing but error messages when I try to compile a short video project and haven't yet managed to burn a disc. The error messages and codes are not listed on Roxio's (supposed!) support site and when their Technical Support team are contacted to query these they don't reply.

So, in short, I've bought a rather expensive coaster full of empty promises. What a waste of time and money.

I'm now looking at Ulead Video Suite 10 Plus and hope that this will do what it promises on the box.
on 15 October 2008
I have had two versions of this software and regret every penny paid. When It works it shows great promise but has to be the most unstable software I have ever bought. Where the blazes you get informed help I do not know.

It is hell on wheels to uninstall and slow to install and uninstall and it leaves so much on your PC. It seems that it is incompatible with some software.

Yoiu are better off buying Nero as a recorder and label maker and something like Total Recorder for internet sound. It is overblown huge slow and unwieldy in its attempt to be all things to all people.

I have had problems with an Old PC and a seriouslyt upgraded PC,
on 7 July 2008
As many other user on here I'd upgraded from previous Roxio products which were stable and easy to use. NOT SO with version 9, for nearly 12 months I've put up with its crashes, memory leaks, and general slowness on a dual core pc with 4gb of ram. However after seeing a friends machine do pretty much much the same with version 9 I've come to the conclusion that my time is too precious to waste while version 9 generally hangs , locks and plays silly so and so's
AVOID
on 27 December 2008
The Roxio package will install a million little programs and services in your PC with the only goal of taking control of your hard drive. Within hours of having Roxio installed, several programs were unable to function, being blocked from accessing the hard drive. After two days of hell I finally learned at some shady forum that it was Roxio. Off it went and I got my laptop back.

Stay way from this software!
on 27 March 2007
I recently bought a new Dell pc, with crap Vista os, and this is the only cd burning software it will take. It is absolute garbage, when you think how much burning software has advanced this looks like an ancient piece of crap that should be in a museum. I wouldn't even attempt to burn a DVD with it, luckily I have software that Vista does accept to do that, but for a simple cd-r burning program it is terrible. Most of the cd's I burn are live recordings and this leaves an in-between song gap, even if it is configured to 0 seconds between songs, so the discs are ruined

Can anyone recommend a burning software that Vista does accept? Nero is useless now.
on 1 October 2007
I purchased this media package, and I thought I must be very stupid, not to able to get to grips with it, now I know I,m only stupid having paid for this rubbish in the first place!