5.0 out of 5 stars A great follow up to Long Way Round
I bought this as soon as it came out on the strength of enjoying Long Way Round and wasn't disappointed. It follows Charley Boorman and crew on his preparation and participation of the world renowned Dakar rally and shows the struggles and high points of the most dangerous rally in the world. I was impressed by the strength of the whole team especially Simon Pavey and...
Published on 25 Dec 2006 by redredpoppy

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as 'Long Way Round' but still an interesting insight to Dakar
I ordered this as soon as it became available on the strength of the fantastic Long Way Round and to learn more about the mysterious Dakar race.

It follows a similar format to LWR with pre-training, on board cameras, daily diaries and some familiar support team faces. The new chaps supporting Charley provide a fresh perspective and some existing Dakar...
Published on 13 Nov 2006 by C. Timberlake

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and eye-opening, 15 Feb 2009
Selina (CHORLEY, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Race To Dakar [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Bought this DVD on spec as we'd watched the other Ewan/Charlie DVds and seen By Any Means. Race to Dakar did not disappoint - plenty of Charlie with his very natural and unpretentious on screen style, lots of African scenery and lots of drama. Only gripes: the highly annoying theme tune, which you got to hear too often because of the highly annoying recaps and pre-caps which you got to see too often because of the highly annoying ad-break style sections to the programmes. I accept that this must have been made for a commercial channel, but I really don't need reminding of the plot every ten minutes.

Never mind: overall very good and you can fast-forward through the bits which would have been either side of ad breaks.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of all, 15 Nov 2008
This review is from: Race To Dakar [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I have now watched all of Charley Boormans's travel docs, from Long Way Around to the very latest 'By Any Means'. In my opinion, this is by far the best. This is very much a story driven piece - rather than we drive here, then we drive here. In this film we have a personal journey which is equal in intensity to the physical journey from Lisbon to Dakar.

NOTE: This is the only one of Charley's docs to have captured the interest of my wife - which is saying something.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth watching, 31 Dec 2007
This review is from: Race To Dakar [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I bought this having watched Long Way Round and wasn't disappointed, even though the adventure Charley Boorman undertakes here is a lot different.

A really tense, exciting documentary. And you don't even have to be into bikes to enjoy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the Long Way Round, 26 Mar 2007
This review is from: Race To Dakar [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Most people will have bought this dvd after watching and enjoying the earlier series with Charley Boorman & Ewan McGregor. This effort is decent, but the charisma wattage of the central character has dimmed considerably in the absence of McGregor. Instead we get to watch Charley Boorman whinge his way around what admittedly comes across as a race which is not for the faint-hearted. It's good, just not as good as its' predecessor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent DVD would recommend it to family and friends, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: Race To Dakar [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Have wanted to watch this for quite some time and finally managed to get this threw Amazon this is a brilliant program thoroughly enjoyed every second of watching it and I would recommend this to anybody who is a big fan of Charley Boorman

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, but quite familiar style, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Race To Dakar [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
It is filmed in a very similar style to Long Way Round, but isn't quite as good. However, it still is entertaining, and I was glad to know more about what happens in the background of the Dakar, even if it was made out to be bit more dramatic than I would guess it was in reality.

For me the order of quality (from the three I have watched) is as follows :
1) Long Way Round
2) Long Way Down
3) Race To Dakar

If I had known this before buying it, I still would have bought it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good viewing, 7 Sep 2013
This review is from: Race To Dakar [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Well worth getting. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this and it is something that I know will be viewed more than once.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dakar, 16 Jun 2013
Mr. Stephen Lawson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Race To Dakar [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
Thoroughly enjoyed this DVD. After saying he wanted to do the Dakar, charley was unable to back out and had to eventually put a real effort in. I don't think he will be doing this any time soom again. Very enjoyable and gutsy performance by all involved.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good follow on, 18 Jan 2009
This review is from: Race To Dakar [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
This was a very good follow up to the "long way round" , his style of riding never falters it's a pleasure to see any of his DVDs but this one is quite exceptional,my advice for him is to keep churning them out and rock on.
There's just one criticism could we have a little less of the "f" word please,other than that it was perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 28 Feb 2008
This review is from: Race To Dakar [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I really enjoyed this DVD.I love the excitement of dakar.It looked very hard race,but they looked like they had a lot of fun.I like the extras (dakar crashes)And how good looking is nick plumb (yum a licious )If the men in walse look that good I am moving.My heart gos out to andy faimly.Well done charley,And thankyou for making an excellent dakar dvd.I loved it so much I am buying the book.

ARRAY(0xaa481ce4)

Race To Dakar [DVD] [2006]
Race To Dakar [DVD] [2006] by Various Artists (DVD - 2006)
17.99