5.0 out of 5 stars Out with the old....
I must say that I DID (read underlined and bold) agree with the comments about it being a terrible system, until that is, I really practiced with it. At first it is very difficult to switch from a previous version of Office to this one, but, with a little practice and a lot of, initial, patience, I feel that the rewards of this system far outweigh the hassles...
Published on 27 Mar 2008 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars More Money, Hardly any New Features and Lots of Changes
Published on 14 Feb 2009 by Mr. Joe Merieux

1.0 out of 5 stars More Money, Hardly any New Features and Lots of Changes, 14 Feb 2009
This review is from: Microsoft Word 2007 Home and Student Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
Word 2007 feels like lots of changes for little point. Well there is a point - the need to get people to buy a new version that has very little to offer compared with Word 2003 and boost Microsoft's revenues. Look at it as your charity donation. 95% of users will only be frustrated by the changes that slow you down and mean that you have to search for the feature that you know is there but can't find on the "logical" new menus - logical to who? - not me. The basic functionality has hardly changed. Advance users will find that a lot of frustrations have been addressed and things like charts are much improved - but how many people do know who put a chart in their report? If they do pasting from Excel will be 99.9%.
Microsft has a unique reputation for its help - and it is no better in Word 2007. Third party companies can write excellent manuals that explain what to do and what your options are. Word 2007 help is very bad, the index doesn't find what I want - even when I know that there must be a way to do what I want. I can only think that either help is a very low priority or that Microsoft set out to write unhelp help. It is that bad.
At the top of the screen it says "non-commerical use" - a sign of how little Microsoft trusts the person who has paid for the product - it wants you to know all the time that it is watching - and it is.
My recommendation is stay with your current version of Word or to look at Open Office. Unless you have specialist needs both will fully cover your needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Out with the old...., 27 Mar 2008
This review is from: Microsoft Word 2007 Home and Student Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
I must say that I DID (read underlined and bold) agree with the comments about it being a terrible system, until that is, I really practiced with it. At first it is very difficult to switch from a previous version of Office to this one, but, with a little practice and a lot of, initial, patience, I feel that the rewards of this system far outweigh the hassles!

I LOVE the new flexibility that has been added to the various parts of the system, and the way the 'Ribbon' (after initially being a bit frustrating due to my using 2003) puts all the tasks you are used to, and more, in easy access tabs. I know that there are those out there who want it to look like the 2003 system as that is the system they are used to (go do a search on the net and you'll find lots of free add-in downloads to do exactly that for you!!). And if you are one of those who likes to move all the icons around, or add your own, then you'll either need to learn how to write in XML, or just add them to the quicktask menu (no different than adding them to a toolbar in 2003!!).
And there is the fact that you can make template packages (Themes) that you can use across the board (Excel, PP, Word, Publisher, et al), the 'Live Preview' function to see what the formatting will look like in your document (it changes the formatting in the document as you hover over the options, not changing it until you click it), et. al.

And don't even get me started on the amazing capabilities of One-Note!! I have a PDA and can now chat away, draw diagrams and scribble notes while away from my computer, then have them import automatically when I cradle it. I have to say that this is one of the most amazing tools I have used for my project work and personal study that I have ever found - It alone makes the price of this worth it to me!

In conclusion, just take your time - leave 2003 installed until you get used to this version (all the programs in the suite will run side-by-side without conflict, bar Outlook) - and get to know the new system! You'll be amazed at the power that has been added ....

.... if you let yourself! ;-)

CJ

2.0 out of 5 stars buying it for vista laptop, Don't like it but need it, 25 Mar 2009
This review is from: Microsoft Word 2007 Home and Student Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
Nearly coming to the end of the trial version I have got to say that the menu is not as intuative to everyone, and especially not me.
I prefer the old drop down menus, as it resembles a carefully ordered filing cabinet (you can't see anything, but you know exactly where it is)
This new menu, however, is more like a desk surface that has everything you could possibly need on it, grouped into sort-of-order and looking very cluttered. If you are a person who likes everything you need where you can see it, you may find the new menu intuative, but if you take ages looking for something amongst the clutter, you may find the new setup a complete hinderence. I think that microsoft should provide a free download to allow microsoft 2007 users to choose the interface that suits them, but I doubt that they will.

3.0 out of 5 stars stick to word 2003, 7 Jan 2009
This review is from: Microsoft Word 2007 Home and Student Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
This is awful. It is slow, crashes all the time under Vista, hides all the simple buttons you were used to under Word2003 and makes writing documents a nightmare.
Some things simply don't work - merge documents and try to get renumbering to work or common headers when the documents were created using different templates. Tables of Contents? Fine if you understand hieroglyphics..but these things were meant to be easier in the future.
This is truly an awful step backwards. The new interface serves no purpose at all and the product is rubbish. I will go back to 2003. Try it first though or if you want a real mindblowing experience, try Powerpoint2007 where there is no underlying difference with 2003, just an interface that hides everything useful. These products are con tricks.

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate it!, 5 Feb 2009
D. White (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Word 2007 Home and Student Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
I've been trying to use this version of Word for a year now, and I just can't get on with it. I use Word 2003 at work (a lot) and 2007 at home (not quite as much). I consider myself to be computer literate, but I find Word 2007 unnecessarily complicated. Oh how I wish there was a way of switching off the ribbon and reverting to drop-down menus. And can anyone tell me why the scroll works in the opposite direction in Word 2007 to everything else on my computer? Is there a way to change it?

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, 29 Aug 2007
Comical Engineer "comicaleng" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Microsoft Word 2007 Home and Student Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
As a business user I don't really have anything good to say about Office 2007. The new interface now requires 3-4 mouse clicks where 2-3 were needed previously. Many of the keyboard shortcuts no longer work or don't work the way they used to (I don't use the mouse very often). It's not possible to customise the menu structure to any extent as Microsoft have imposed the "ribbon" structure with it's fixed content.

Many of the highlight colours just don't stand out e.g. highlighting text is pink on a white background but highlighted buttons are a sort of yellow colour. There are also only 3 colour schemes available, blue, silver or black. None is particularly attractive and none is particularly clear. Differentiating between several windows often not easy because they are all similar colours.

As a heavy office user, I found the new version of office restrictive and un-instinctive, as if Microsoft have told me how i will work and what commands I will have easily available instead of me being able to select my own. Oh, and you can't even customise a macro button image now! Instead you have to use the ones provided which are an anonymous bunch at best.

you are restricted to a single row of custom buttons - the "quick access toolbar" but if you want the traditional icons on the bar (font, size, style) then you can only fit another 10 or so on the bar - which is restricted to a single line only. when visible, the ribbon occupies a massive amount of space (about 30mm of vertical height) thus restricting the amount of text that can be seen. There appears to be no option to relocate the ribbon, it's always along the top. Hiding the ribbon then needs a double click to bring it back.

I am struggling to express how frustrating I find this software. I am currently in the process of requesting a refund from MS and going back to Office 2003. Note that I can't find anything that 2007 does which 2003 didn't already do for me.

If you are the sort of person who needs to have a new ringtone every week then you might like the interface but it's very poor for business and serious users. Should have been issued with the option for reverting to the 2003 interface - oh, but then it would not have been and "upgrade" at all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 16 Oct 2009
This review is from: Microsoft Word 2007 Home and Student Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
This product exhibits all the bad habits with which Microsoft is afflicted. I didn't want a fully fledged Office suite of programs only a Word Processor with some Desk-top Publishing capability. I would have preferred only to download Word for Windows but - it seems - that's unobtainable. So one gets swamped in unwanted programs whether one wants them or not. For my money I also got an updated version of Word, itself, which is more awkward to use than it ever had been before Microsoft started tinkering with it. One presumes that Microsoft - having collared a college full of eager programmers has to keep them happy doing whizzy, fashionable, heavily graphics-oriented programs when all I want is something that will do Word Processing and a bit of DTP competently. It looks as if I shall have to research some Freeware sites to find anything that's useable and not as overly complicated as Microsoft Office Word 2007 - Home and Student Version turns out to be. The well known but frequently ignored advice seems relevant here. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Word., 12 Mar 2009
Mr. Ian Coulson (Dundee,Scotland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Word 2007 Home and Student Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
I am very pleased with this product It was easy to install,and does what is required of it .

5.0 out of 5 stars NICE PACKAGE, BUT MS VISTA DOESN'T LIKE IT!, 21 May 2008
This review is from: Microsoft Word 2007 Home and Student Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
Have just loaded MS Office 2007 pack into my PC (XP system) and am very impressed with the new Word 2007 & Excel 2007 layouts. Unfortunately, I also tried to load the software into my wife's laptop (Vista operating system) but Vista doesn't like it - everytime she clicks on the Word 2007 icon the software starts installing itself all over again. Vista is really pretty awful - where's that nice button on Control Panel which says 'Install New Programs' - seems to have disappeared in Vista.

4.0 out of 5 stars It all depends on how YOU work..., 28 Jan 2009
This review is from: Microsoft Word 2007 Home and Student Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
I struggled over how many stars to give Word 2007. I gave it 3 and then I gave it 4 and then back to 3, and finally settled on 4.

Here's the thing: I used to teach Word (previous incarnations) in College. I have always been very familiar with it, knew it back to front etc. etc. etc. When I bought a new PC a few months ago, I bought Word 2007 with it, and - I really, really struggled with it.

I couldn't find what I wanted. Nothing felt intuitive to me. I couldn't see why they'd grouped certain things within certain ribbons. I cussed and muddled and sweated and cussed.
Then my husband came along and had a go on it (he has 2003 on his PC) and immediately took to it - intuitively found what he wanted, loved the layout, declared it 'much easier to use than 2003'. He's older than me, so it wasn't an age thing. He's no techie, and he doesn't even much like using computers, so - so why did he find it so easy?

It seems to be splitting people down the middle - people love it, or hate it! Maybe it's something to do with how WE work???

Anyway, I installed 2003 over the top of 2007 and started to use that instead. problem solved. (You can do this - have several versions all installed on the same computer).

Except that - I found that I MISSED using 2007. It was - well, better. It was smoother, did more, was more helpful, softer on the eye, more versatile.

So - I've gone back to using it, and have just resigned myself to learning to use it. And it's taking time - aLOT of time - but it's worth it.

If you're thinking of buying it I would recommend that you go and have lessons, or be prepared to spend some time learning it. Or you may be one of the ones for whom it is intuitive and you may find it's easy. In any event, I do now recommend it and think it's considerably better than 2003. Maybe try out a friend's 2007 before you buy...?

I settled on four stars because it's a better programme overall BUT I feel the learning curve is a steep (and unexpected) one, and can be a shock if you just want to install and go.

Oh, one other thing: 2007 Student and Home doesn't include Publisher (or Outlook), which I missed - so I installed them from 2003.

Microsoft Word 2007 Home and Student Edition (PC)
Microsoft Word 2007 Home and Student Edition (PC) by Microsoft Software (Windows Vista / XP)
Used & New from: 129.99