5.0 out of 5 stars Album of last year.., 21 Mar 2007
Ms. S. L. Grice "~*saz*~" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raise The Alarm (Audio CD)
I bought this album in October last year, shortly before the release of 'Commercial Breakdown.' I'd seen them live and couldn't get over how great they were and the atmosphere which their performance created, so the very next day I went out and bought this.

I was not dissapointed. Its a great album for almost anyone, it has an indie sound to it, but is also great to dance to and is very easy on the ears. I would deffinately say that if youd don't buy it / don't like it, then theres something wrong.

One of the best albums I bought last year.. (closely rivalled by Muse)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Debut Album, 10 Oct 2006
This review is from: Raise The Alarm (Audio CD)
I bought this on the strength of hearing "Put In Your Place" and I am pleased to write this is a superb album. Their style is punk/funk and it's very danceable . In a way they sound similar to The Rapture and there is a hint of the Stone Roses on a couple of tracks but what really stands out is the singers voice, it's fantastic.

I also had the pleasure of seeing these lads live and they are electrifying and had real presence which made me think they could go on to bigger and better things. The songs have another dimension when you hear them at a gig.

If you looking for a band with a slightly different sound to the usual guitar bands then you could do worse then check this out.

Enjoy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliance at its most Brilliant, 19 July 2007
This review is from: Raise The Alarm (Audio CD)
Wellington may have the best voice of any musician fronting a British band
his wails together with the effortlessly melodic bounce forge a great combination and really make the tracks 'put your in your place' and 'commercial breakdown' what they are pure GOLD!
the new wave, synth pop combo they have going on Raise the Alarm is used to perfection and never gets tiresome.

Worth the great british publics hard earned pennies

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars!!!!!, 19 May 2009
This review is from: Raise The Alarm (Audio CD)
I've been the proud owner of this album for the best part of two years now, and have recently dug it out of my collection after hearing they are performing at Middlesbrough Music Live (My hometown) in June, which is a huge free outdoor festival (the Zutons are headlining).

It has reignited my love for this album, from start to finish, it is astounding. Borders is an personal favourite of mine, and can't wait to see them live!!

BUY THIS GOD DAMN ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Noughties, 23 Feb 2010
This review is from: Raise The Alarm (Audio CD)
This is a long overdue review.
I bought this album back in 2007 and having not heard much of Sunshine Underground previously I instantly fell in love with the album.
Catchy, hooky and dancy from start to finish it's not only full of great pop/rock songs but feels very much complete as an album, no weak tracks.
In a recent look back at the noughties I rated this as my number 1 album, for me it ticks all the boxes that made music so exciting when I first started getting into a scene in the early 90's, then it was Stone Roses, Primal Scream which lifted me out from the humdrum of school life and homework to a world of excitement and enjoyment.
I would urge anyone reading this to also make the effort of seeing them live, the energy levels they create on stage transcend directly to the audience and the mosh pit is alive with sweat and movement too rarely seen these days.
The second album is pretty damn great too.
As I said, no weak tracks but Commercial Breakdown and Borders will no doubt age very well as we enter into whatever people decide to call 2010 - 2020.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic album, 8 Jan 2007
This review is from: Raise The Alarm (Audio CD)
One of the very best albums I heard all year. Really good to dance to and you just cannot help but sing along to just about every track - however bloomin awful your voice is. How on earth these chaps aren't more well known is beyond me - it's only a matter of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just plain fantastic, 22 Feb 2007
RTH Allum "Dangermouse's Little Friend" (Shrewsbury/Preston) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raise The Alarm (Audio CD)
Can't recommend this album enough, these Shropshire lads have produced the album that was the best of 2006, fact. When you listen to this album the sound jumps at you because it's just a little different from anything out there, OK they are a bit new ravey but I wouldn't put them in this category. The wailings of the lead singer is something that grabs you as well. Everything on this album works. Buy it right now don't hesitate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Criminally underrated, 21 May 2007
S. M. Paine (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raise The Alarm (Audio CD)
The Sunshine Underground have produced an indie album with just a hint of "new rave" (whatever that actually means) which is consistently brilliant from start to finish. There are no weak tracks on the album whatsoever. If you like listening to your music whilst walking somewhere (as I do), this album is great as it puts a spring in your step. It's really hard to pick any standout tracks as it's all brilliant, but Dead Scene, Commercial Breakdown, Borders and I Ain't Losing Any Sleep are my favourites.

Everyone's banging on about Klaxons and no-one seems to know who The Sunshine Underground are. Something's gone wrong somewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth seeing, 29 April 2007
This review is from: Raise Alarm (+Bonus) (Audio CD)
Having found this band on a sampler, I bought the album "just to give them a look". Loved the album and got tickets to see the band at a small venue in Northampton. AWESOME ................... The vocals were superb and the instrumental was excellent .... Not very often the live is better than the album..... Hope they carry on as they have started......

5.0 out of 5 stars Non stop playing in my car, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: Raise The Alarm (Audio CD)
An excellent album and a great purchase having seen them live recently. A good mix of tunes and a great anthem.

Raise The Alarm
Raise The Alarm by The Sunshine Underground (Audio CD - 2006)