4.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Machine
I received this as a Christmas gift, the fact of using instant coffee really appealed to me. After a couple of days getting used to the machine, I loved it. So easy to use and to clean. I have to say that I have used it every day. Mostly with Cappucino but have also recently mastered a lovely mocha, just as good as the high street coffee shops.

The only...
Published on 15 Jan. 2007 by Gazzaexe

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Cappuccino, Bad Design Fault!
Published on 26 Jan. 2007 by K. Harris

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Cappuccino, Bad Design Fault!, 26 Jan. 2007
K. Harris - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville CM8 Instant Cappuccino Maker (Kitchen & Home)
Has anyone else had a problem with this machine? I have had 2 replacements due to the dial at the side sticking or braking making the machine no use at all because you can not dispense the coffee. I loved this machine in the time it did work but sadly i had to have my money refunded after the second machine would not work properly. Come on Breville update this model and i would buy a new one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee, terrible machine!, 11 Nov. 2007
A. Long "Coffee Addict" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville CM8 Instant Cappuccino Maker (Kitchen & Home)
Firstly I want to say that using the ingredients of a good instant coffee and fresh milk, you "can" make a surprisingly delicious coffee with this machine. I loved my instant cappuccinos and would use the machine about three times a day. Every time I used it I diligently followed the cleaning process and I really looked after my machine. However, the first one I had stopped working after three weeks. I thought this was because the water tank had started to leak so the machine just wasn't getting the pressure it needed to draw up the milk. This is one of its design flaws - there is no water level indicator so you either have to empty the tank out completely and refill it each time (which means unplugging the machine and tipping it upside down over a sink), or simply guess and top it up. I think I may have overfilled it a couple of times and so when the the machine failed, I exchanged it for a new one.

For machine number 2, I made a dip-stick with a straw and made sure that the water tank was never overfilled. This worked for a couple of months. Like some of the other reviewers, I occasionally had problems with the coffee dial sticking, but usually a couple of sharp twists sorted that out. Also, I found that only adding the amount of coffee I needed for each cup, and then cleaning it immediately meant there was no excess coffee in the system, so it was much less likely to stick.

The greatest problem I found with this machine is that it would simply unfathomably stop drawing the milk out of the tank. This was despite me not overfilling the water tank, or leaving coffee in the system. For a while, I found that if I left it cleaning itself for a couple of hours (seriously!)then it would eventually sort itself out. Sometimes I added bicarbonate of soda to the rinsing water, as the manual suggests, and sometimes washing up liquid, followed by 4 rinses with clean water. After a while I was spending far more time cleaning it than making or even drinking the coffee and it was getting silly! Still, I persevered (I needed my milky caffeine fix) but eventually after about three months it gave up on me completely and I returned it to the shop for a full refund. I am now considering spending substantially more money on one of the Delonghi fully automated cappuccino machines. They look amazing, but that will be an altogether different review!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Cappuccino, 10 July 2007
This review is from: Breville CM8 Instant Cappuccino Maker (Kitchen & Home)
Well, we had our machine 6 months before it broke. Same thing as all the other reviews here, the black switch on the side. However, having said that I called the shop where we bought it and they immediately sent out another machine which arrived next day. Here's hoping this one lasts!

It makes fabulous coffee though. Whilst it claims to also make a latte, the instructions are exactly the same as the cappuccino except the cappuccino gets a sprinkle of chocolate on top!

Despite the problem with the breakdown, I can't find another coffee machine like it for the price. It's easy to use and it cleans itself whilst you are enjoying your coffee - so really what more can you ask for!

2.0 out of 5 stars Design fault, 27 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Breville CM8 Instant Cappuccino Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I agree with the previous reviews. It's easy to use, makes good cappuccinos and uses ordinary coffee, all a bonus. However, it's great for about a month or so but the machine seems to have a design fault. The coffee dispenser cannot be thoroughly cleaned and any residue coffee powder causes the dispenser dial to stick. Try pushing it and it breaks or use any water and it gets worse. We are now on our third machine and have given up and bought a different make. I wouldn't bother buying another until the coffee dispenser design is changed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shocking quality!, 31 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Breville CM8 Instant Cappuccino Maker (Kitchen & Home)
Despite reading some of the other reviews on here, after talking to a relative that owns one I decided to take the plunge and order one.

Following the advice to be careful with the Cappuccino Maker, I diligently followed the instructions and successfully used the product twice within 24hrs without any problems.

The second day of ownership took a dramatic turn for the worse. First attempt resulted in it constantly heating without ever triggering the ready light. After waiting 30 minutes I gave up and turned it off, waited for it to cool down before trying again.

Second attempt was where it got a little scary. Followed the instructions again, filled the water reservoir etc. turned it on and waited. After about 10 minutes the ready light came on (should only take 5 apparently), turned the dial to on and waited.

Nothing happened, no water or milk came out... After 30 seconds a small puddle of hot water started to appear at the back of the device right where the power cable enters the coffee maker.

Needless to say I turned the power off immediately, thankfully without receiving a shock.

I am amazed a product that produces hot steam and water can be designed where it is possible for water to leak onto or around a power cable. I for one will not be trying a replacement and cannot in any way recommend this product.

The real shame? The CM8 when it (briefly) worked made a really nice cappuccino and mocha. Avoid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shouldn't be allowed to sell this rubbish......., 24 Jun. 2007
M. John "Ady" (Witney, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville CM8 Instant Cappuccino Maker (Kitchen & Home)
Our second machine failed this morning.

The coffee is good when it works hence when the first machine jammed on the dial (3 weeks old) we didn't give up and swapped it for a new one.

2 months later for some reason the milk doesn't come through the tube anymore. After the first one went wrong we took extra care on cleaning it and followed every instruction in the book.

Will buy another one but definately NOT Brville.

AVOID THIS MACHINE LIKE THE PLAGUE.

1.0 out of 5 stars One my second machine in 3 months!!!!!!!, 8 Jan. 2007
Sammie (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville CM8 Instant Cappuccino Maker (Kitchen & Home)
The cappuccino machine is a great idea, and it's fantastic that you can use your normal brand of coffee. However it really is too good to be true :o(

Our first machine 3 months ago packed up after 2 weeks, the mechanism just jammed, this is because you cannot clean where the coffee goes after it has dropped out of the hatch. The self clean system only cleans the tubes the milk+coffee go through together. This means that when the coffee sits in the mechanism it may start to conjeal if your not careful that it stays bone dry the whole time.

Our second machine has lasted 8 weeks and now it won't even clean itself. It just keeps producing steam and not pulling the liquid through, so even though it's making the right noises not much else is happening. This one has not jammed up, however they do seem very unstable.

I would suggest anyone thinking of buying this to look at the Kenwood Hot and Cold Frothy Drinks Maker, it's a simple design that can be cleaned properly, so there isn't any risk of the above.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tastes great - but there's a design flaw, 21 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Breville CM8 Instant Cappuccino Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I bought one of these about three weeks ago, and I have to agree with other reviewers' comments that this makes delicious, frothy cappuccino with minimal effort.

No need to wobble milk jugs under steam spouts; no need to measure out ground coffee - just put water in the steam tank, turn it on and wait a few minutes until it's up to temperature; put milk in the milk tank and slot it into position. Pour some instant coffee into the chute, turn the dial once per teaspoon of coffee, then turn to 'GO' and hey presto, you have perfect cappuccino.

Easy to clean - just fill the milk tank with clean water, turn the dial a few times to empty the chute of left over coffee, and then turn it to 'GO' and leave it to finish its cleaning cycle automatically while you go somewhere quiter and enjoy your drink.

At least, this is how it worked for the first couple of weeks (until the day after I threw the box away...).

It's quite tricky making sure you've got all the left over coffee granules out of the machine, how ever many times you turn the dial during the cleaning process. One day I obviously had not got them all out, and the dial was stuck. The manual tells you to turn the dial again - which may require 'slightly' more force than normal.

But the dial would not budge.

And the more pressure I applied, the more sticky it felt, and I had visions of the whole plastic assembly snapping. So, I had no alternative, but to pour a tiny amount (less than a teaspoon) of warm water into the chute to free it. This worked, except the water caused the excess coffee to solidify, making it even stiffer the next day.

And so it went on, each day having to put a little drop of water in it to free it, only for it to be even stickier the next day.

I still haven't solved the problem, and now it is nigh on impossible to get any coffee into the system, so my frothy cappuccinos are now little more than frothy milk with a little coffee colouring. I'm getting round it by adding the coffee to the cup (the same way as the chocolate powder is added to the cup when making a mocha) - but this misses the point.

So beware - it does make a delicious cup of coffee, but the coffee dispensing mechanism is not up to the quality of the drinks this machine can produce when it works. And if it gets stuck - don't do what I did and pour water in it...

UPDATE: I have contacted Breville (via their website) to complain about this item's design, but their customer service does not match their flash website and they have not even acknowledged my complaint (over a week ago now) - never mind replied or offered any help. I will think twice before buying any more Breville products.

UPDATE 2: It has now stopped even taking in the milk! It is utterly useless - the worst thing I've ever bought. Breville finally sent me a very rude and unhelpful reply to my 3rd email. I am off to buy a new coffee machine (definitely NOT Breville).

1.0 out of 5 stars Another Dial broken!, 26 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Breville CM8 Instant Cappuccino Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I too have had the problem with the large plastic dial which dispenses the coffee into the machine, it just broke off one day,well something inside broke off that was the end of the nice mugs of coffee it did make when it did work. I always thought that dial would go one day, but not after a couple of months, in fact it wasn't even that long, as this was my second one as the first one leaked all over the place.

Be warned!

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY THIS COFFEE MACHINE, 7 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Breville CM8 Instant Cappuccino Maker (Kitchen & Home)
Worst item I have ever bought. If you like frothy milk buy it,but just don't expect it to make a coffee. 2 days after buying it the dial at the side jammed, I added a little pressure like the manual says, but it broke. This machine is going back. And I won't be getting a replacement.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›