5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, Precise Printer
I brought this printer to be able to create a scrapbook of photos for my wedding.

For an excellent price you get a fantastic little kit. The box comes with the printer, Software CD, a sample pack of paper (5 sheets) and an ink cartridge (mine hasnt run out yet) oh and a huge user guide.

The printer is so easy to use. You switch it on and it prompts...
Published on 17 May 2007 by J. Whittaker

2.0 out of 5 stars Good on card - lousy on computer
Published on 24 July 2009 by Dr. Keith S. Taber

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, Precise Printer, 17 May 2007
J. Whittaker "L33t G33K" (Canterbury, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Photosmart A516 Compact Photo Printer (Electronics)

The printer is so easy to use. You switch it on and it prompts you to enter your language. You then need to put the ink cartridge in, which really is a doddle, you just open the ink door at the front and slot it in.

There are 5 buttons, if i remember correctly, the main one being the "navigating" buttons which is a left arrow, right arrow and an "OK" button. You also have a big printer button, which as it suggests you use to print.

Then you are asked to enter paper so it can print an alignment page. This again is easy to do, you open the slot at the back and place the paper in.

After that you are free to print what you like. You have the following options

1) Enter your memory card into the printer, there are four slots at the front, all labelled and you just push the card in.

2) You can connect it to your PC with a USB Cable (not provided) and print from the PC.

3) You can use a bluetooth adaptor (not included) to print from any bluetooth device. You can buy the HP one but i used my partners bluetooth dongle and this worked fine, my phone recognised it ok.

You can choose whether to print 1,2 or 4 pictures per page or alternatively you can choose passport pictures or even stickers. You then cycle through your pictures on the LCD screen (not moveable). Select the ones you want to print by pressing OK and then finalising with the Printer button.

In my experience it takes just under 2 minutes from start to finish for a picture. The first minute or so is taken up with the "fix" it automatically adjusts brightness, blur, and detects red eye. This is a feature you can turn off, but i cant think of a reason why you would.

The print itself, is very quiet, and very quick.

Borderless prints are produced, dry to the touch, so no hanging around waiting for ink to dry. They look stunning and professional.

I recommend purchasing the HP Advanced Photo paper, this produces spot on results! You can get paper and ink replacements for around 20 total.

All in all a brilliant printer. It doesn't have onboard facilities to edit pictures, but personally if i want to edit i'll use photoshop on my PC.

4.0 out of 5 stars A sound gadget for a low price, 16 Dec 2006
This review is from: HP Photosmart A516 Compact Photo Printer (Electronics)
The HP Photosmart is a handy little gadget, as I found when my children bought me one for my Fiftieth Birthday. I had hundreds of pictures on the PC but rarely ever printed them off. Now I'm unstoppable, and my fridge is covered in colour!

It is small and tidy looking, and fits into that little gap on the middle shelf of the computer desk without any fuss. Really easy usage, even for the complete technophobe fool like me. Switch it on and it tells you what to do once the sd card is inserted on a little lcd screen. It has access for all sorts of different cards and a usb input for your flash drive, so no problems with data input. Only a few buttons to actually push once its switched on, and clear instructions, so as I said, idiot proof.

Make sure you get a good grade of photopaper. That pound shop stuff never really dries properly so you will be stuck with ink on your fingers and finger-prints on your pics. Kodak gives me superb results and people are always surprised when I say I printed them off myself as the reproduction and finish is first class.

The print rate of one just under aminute or so is not fast but you can put more than one sheet in at a time and walk away while they process. Printing is efficient and the colour and quality stands up to photo shop prints. My only beef is that it only does the 10 by 15cm prints and I rather like bigger pics for my fridge, but other than that nothing negative at all.

This is a smart little gadget which has freed many of my pictures from the black hole of 'My Pictures' folder! Thanks kids!

5.0 out of 5 stars Small package. Big possibilities!!, 20 Jan 2007
This review is from: HP Photosmart A516 Compact Photo Printer (Electronics)
Having seen various reviews on this product (all being great) I decided to purchase the HP Photosmart A516 and a pack of paper. Having previously used the 'Kodak picture booths' in my local pharmacy to print digital photos I was never completely satisfied with the look of these. They always seemed slightly 'flat' and never really represented the overall look of the photos. I was slightly skeptical about the quality of images produced by such a reasonably priced photo printer. Having now printed various photos (black and white, colour, sepia etc) on my new HP photo-printer I am stunned by the results. The images are contrasty and punchy and in my opinion much better than the quality of images produced by the 'Kodak photo booths'. Amazing results and for such a reasonable price!! Definatly reccomend this to anyone interested in home printing digital photos!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, easy to use campact printer, 26 Jun 2007
This review is from: HP Photosmart A516 Compact Photo Printer (Electronics)
I am buying this for a friend. I already own one.I bought mine for my daughter who loves it as she has difficulty with all the set up instructions on her computer.One thing, I couldnt find anywhere in the instructions that you could use a flash drive in the usb port. However I tried it and it works! This means you can crop etc on your computer and then transfer selected images onto your flash drive. This also saves having to trawl through all the pictures on your memory card!I did check on the Hp website and it does say there, it is compatible with flash drives using the usb port on the front.

Using the correct paper and ink cartridges ( reccommmended) It is not the cheapest way to print photos But if you are selective about what you print, the results are excellent and extremly satisfying

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking gadget!!, 3 Jan 2007
This review is from: HP Photosmart A516 Compact Photo Printer (Electronics)
This really is an amazing little thing. Easy peasy to set up and it produces really impressive prints in about a minute. No fuss, it just gets on with it.

The little screen is great for a preview of the image you're thinking of printing and one press of the button later it pops out of the front!

This really should cost more, the quality is that good, it's well made, very compact, using quality materials and well thought-out interface so when I bought mine for 40 I was even more amazed at what I found in the box.

A great piece of industrial design and a toy we'll be using all the time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Small Printer with Big Results, 13 Sep 2007
This review is from: HP Photosmart A516 Compact Photo Printer (Electronics)
I was not expecting much from a printer costing (at the time) just over 30 but what an amazing little machine(I have noticed recently that the price has been hiked). Set up is dead easy and you don't even have to have a PC connected. You can connect your camera direct to the printer, use one the many memory card slots or connect via a memory stick. The on screen display is simple and easy to use. One great thing is that you can load 20 sheets of paper and simply walk away and leave it to print. No jams to worry about. The print quality is fantastic, although like some of the other reviewers, don't use cheap paper, ensure you use 250 g/m2 paper and preferably HP's own advanced photo paper. Go to e-bay for good prices.
I cannot praise this printer highly enough, look no further if you want top quality 6" x 4" prints from a low priced machine.

4.0 out of 5 stars hp a516 printer, 24 Mar 2007
This review is from: HP Photosmart A516 Compact Photo Printer (Electronics)
really ideal printer if you have a camera and if you are not too fussed about editing your photos then this printer is perfect. its so easy to use and also has photo fix buttons which makes your picture clearer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good on card - lousy on computer, 24 July 2009
This review is from: HP Photosmart A516 Compact Photo Printer (Electronics)
Just bought this through Amazon. Printer arrived quickly. It worked well, and with very little hassle from a memory card. However attempts to install the software on my computers have totally failed to get the printer to work from a computer (which was the reason I bought the printer - my photos are on the hard drive, not kept on memory cards). I have tried 3 machines with slightly different OS without success. I've tried downloading the driver from the web in case there was a bug on the software on the CD - to no avail. Despite the software and set-up apparently installing correctly on my desktop machine; when I try to print the printer 'stops' (according to the dialogue box) almost as soon as the data is transferred. The printer display says it is printing in e.g. 45 seconds, but then nothing happens. After a couple of minutes it ejects the photo paper unmarked. I've tried reinstalling, rebooting, etc - to no avail. The computer seems to be able to read a card put in the printer when connected to the computer with the USB lead - so the connection itself seems fine. I have two other HP printers which work fine from the same computer. I emailed HP yesterday, and am waiting for suggestions. Perhaps they will sort it. However, I expected something that was 'plug in and use', and this falls well short of that. Disappointing. If HP cannot solve, the machine is going back. In this 'day and age' technology should be almost user proof - not a frustrating enigma.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 31 July 2007
This review is from: HP Photosmart A516 Compact Photo Printer (Electronics)
I wanted a v.simple way for my (silver-surfer) mother to be able to print out her digital photographs - as downloading them to the computer had proved too great a challenge and she had reverted back to using a film camera. This printer couldn't be easier to use - we had our first photograph printed within 2 minutes of opening the box! Just slot in the memory card and away you go! The quality appears excellent and the printer itself is tiny and can easily be stowed away when not in use. I'm so impressed, I'm going to buy 2 more, one for my father-in-law and one for myself!! <Cheap too!>

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic photo printer! :) Thanks HP! :), 14 Jan 2007
M HALL (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: HP Photosmart A516 Compact Photo Printer (Electronics)
Right, I recived the Photosmart A516 Photo Printer for my birthday, and it is without doubt the best printer I have ever used.

Despite it only been small, neat and compact, it produces really high quality pictures, especially on HP Advanced Photo Paper, which is worth the money you pay for it. Take my advice, don't use the cheap Poundland photo paper, you may think you're getting a great deal - but you're not. I printed a few pictures on the cheap paper with this printer, and it resulting in me completely ruining a photo album and getting ink everywhere - the pictures just don't dry when you use this cheap photo paper. Splash out and get the more expensive HP Advanced Photo Paper.

Anyway, this printer is extremely easy to use, just turn it on, stick in your SD card from your digital camera, select the photos you want to print, whether you want one picture per page, 2 pictures per page, or 4 pictures per page, press ok, press print, and within 1-2 minutes you will have beautiful looking pictures.

Also the printer has a 20 paper capacity, so you can walk away and leave this lovely printer to it. It looks great as well! So, as I have said this printer prints really high quality pictures, better than them I had recieved from Truprint. I have really enjoyed using this printer in combination with my digital camera. Finally, home - printing is so easy to do! Thanks HP! The printer requires the HP 110 tri-colour ink cartridge which seems to last about 50 pictures per cartridge, which is not too bad as the replacements are available from around 10 - 20 pounds - hardly expensive. I purchased a carry case for my printer and it is now really protected. So, as you can see I am a really big fan of this printer, and I can highly recommmend it, so go and buy one! You won't be dissapointed. Thanks HP!

HP Photosmart A516 Compact Photo Printer