5.0 out of 5 stars They beat me to it, 3 Oct 2006
M. Cox "ferdybar" (Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Five Men In A Hut (A's, B's & Rarities: 1998-2004) (Audio CD)
Gomez B-sides have always held far more interest for me than the albums. Back in the mid/late 90s I bought a lot of singles and would make my own compilations of the B-sides. Gomez are the only band I've continued to do that with and now my most listened-to stuff on the i-pod is the Gomez Bs playlist. Can't fault 'em. Even when it's fluff like The Cowboy Song, it's entertaining fluff.

Many commentators have suggested that the band have been progressively less interesting as each album has appeared and though I've enjoyed every one, there will always be a sentimental attachment to Bring It On and Liquid Skin. However, every time a single appears, the b-sides usually excite just as much as any Free to Run or Revolutionary Kind ever did. Just take a listen to Caravan from Girlshapedlovedrug. (Not that you'll find it here as the newest stuff isn't included on this Hut-years-only compilation!) But songs like Step Inside and Pop Juice stand shoulder to shoulder with the 'popular' favourites and this collection provides those who have not rushed out to grab the singles a chance to hear virtually two albums worth of bonus quality Gomez material. And that is a good thing.

This isn't a 'best of'. But it certainly contains loads of Gomez's best stuff. There may not be your favourite album tracks here but there are so many fantastic songs that you should hear. My own Gomez compilation may not have matched this one track-for-track but for the moment at least this saves me hours of deliberation over what to include. Do yourself a favour and give it a try - these songs deserve it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music doesn't get better than this, 12 Nov 2013
Mr. M. Howe (Kent) - See all my reviews
One goes on a musical journey through life, and Gomez have always been metaphorically playing in the background of mine playing their quirky melodies, double bass, weird synth sounds and bluesy guitars with a Mexican twist. I just stumbled upon this album, and man is it sublime. So put on your headphones, turn the volume up, kick back with a beer and enjoy music at its finest.
(PS I have been a fan of Gomez ever since Whippin' Piccadilly on Channel 4's 90s Saturday morning Chart Show.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sooo good., 25 Mar 2013
I've been a fan of this band from the start. My normal fare is heavy metal, but Gomez just get under your skin and I have to dance... I don't know if you have to be a fan to enjoy this, but I hope not because there is so much in there that everyone should hear it. It's the best Lo-Fi Hip-Hop (that's what they once called it) you will ever encounter. When I listen to Mumford and Sons and I hear Gomez doing it first, and doing it better, I really do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to hear the early stuff again, 8 Nov 2012
I love the first 2 Gomez albums so much and there really are some great tracks here.
Missing a couple of my top choices, but a great guide to early Gomez.
I downloaded Blind Man's Vision Sometimes the Light Never Comes,
apart from them, there is no one making music like this at all any more, not even Gomez with their newer stuff!
A great chance to sample this amazing band in their glory, early days.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most underrated British bands ever?, 1 Nov 2007
If, like me, you like your music original and by bands a little bit different from the normal rubbish out there, with a lead singer who can REALLY sing and who just write really good songs; then buy this album. You wont be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album, 22 Sep 2014
What a brilliant album. Is it worth it for you if you have the albums? Definately yes!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 27 Oct 2014