5.0 out of 5 stars Headnodder? This will make you dance... oh yeah...
Published on 19 Sep 2006 by Monkey

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the Rapture
Danger Mouse is evil! How dare he currupt a sick party band! The other rapture records really stand up however this struggles a bit. I can apreciate how they came to record this album and look forward to them moving on, thanks!
Published on 31 Aug 2007 by Ego Mysikal

5.0 out of 5 stars Headnodder? This will make you dance... oh yeah..., 19 Sep 2006
Monkey (Gateshead, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pieces Of The People We Love (Audio CD)
...Yup, if your one of those headnodders at the side of gig like me, then this will make you dance. Peices of the People We Love, is just one funky record, and while it is not perfect in many ways (the last half while not bad - is no way as good as the beginning), the gems it contains more than make up for it. A much more polished and accessible record, compared to their 2003 debut Echoes, and while they may have parted company with architects of their sound, the DFA, they have lost none of their fun and ear for a tune. There are just a great number of songs on here, from first track "Don Gon Do it" to the funkalicious "Get Myself Into It" and the catchy and irrestiable, "The Devil" to the big barrrel of fun that is "Whoo! Alright - Yeah...Uh Huh." Get this record and you will dance... and if it doesn't you can tell Luke Jenner's mommy....

Highlights...

Whoo! Alright - Yeah...Uh Huh. - Track 6

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for a bop!, 25 Nov 2008
A. Palmer (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pieces Of The People We Love (Audio CD)
LOVE this album!!! Saw them play Glasto a couple of years ago & got myself Echoes & then this one, love them both but this one more so for its extra upbeat edgy funkiness that gets you bouncing around the house, treadmill, wherever. Should be on everyone's playlist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless, 19 Sep 2006
This review is from: Pieces Of The People We Love (Audio CD)
Echoes was such a good album, it would have been very easy for the Rapture to rest on their laurels.

Not a bit of it. This album is more together than Echoes, more funky, more pschedelic and dare I say it .... better produced.

I know the blasphemy I just uttered might upset the DFA fans out there (of which I am one), but Ewan Pearson et al do a fantastic job. The mix is clean fat and punchy, the only really flat sounding tune is the title track which is produced by Danger Mouse (lay off the compressors a bit!). Fortunately his style of production fits this particular song so it doesn't take anything away.

The guitar parts are fresh, jagged and interesting, there are some very melodic slow tunes and really interesting beats and lyrics. The bass lines go from crazy twanged out noises to full on pumping disco.

All in all a good mixed bag of tunes, played with a healthy spoonful of funky enthusiasm with some top drawer production, so much so that my toes are sore from tapping along to it.

In fact if you don't like a single song on it...I'll eat my hat.

Album of the year. Long live The Rapture!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Echoes, 22 Jan 2007
This review is from: Pieces Of The People We Love (Audio CD)
There's a polish to this album that wasn't present on Echoes, though I don't think that in this sense, it is terribly flattering. If I'm honest, what attracted me to Echoes was the unevenness, the jagged edges. Echoes was full of energy, and in comparison, Pieces of People we Love feels like that energy has been tamed. The vocals on Echoes were strangled, shrieking, the instruments occasionally head-ache inducingly sharp and uneven. There is no House of Jealous Lovers or I Need Your Love on this album.

But it is still well worth a listen to. On the basis of this album alone, The Rapture is still head and shoulders above boring also-rans like The Bravery. In relation to the previous album, much of the tunes follow the template set by the track Sister Saviour; well produced electro-pop, like an updated version of Depeche Mode. There's still an edge here and there in the album, but largely this is an album more suitable for mainstream consumption.

4.0 out of 5 stars En-Rapture-D, 7 Nov 2006
C. Wingrove (Kew, TW9) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pieces Of The People We Love (Audio CD)
This, my Amazon-review reading friends, is a real contender for record of the year. That accolade was something lacked by debut, `Echoes' which had some very strong tracks including one of the singles of the new millennium `House of Jealous Lovers'. As a coherent album though, `Echoes' was too full of peaks and troughs, it wasn't even the best album of it's type that year...(Radio 4's `Gotham!' took that honour for me)

Fast forward 3 years, and the NY quartet return with `Pieces of the People We Love'. It sounds straight away like the album `Echoes' should have been. A much more coherent, consistent record than it's predecessor, `Pieces...' in turns prowls, screams, caresses and exhilarates. In some ways, too, it's a much more British album. `Calling Me' has Chemical Brother-esque breakbeats, and there are Gang of Four and PiL references scattered all over the place. There's even hints of British glam in the cracking title track.

I suppose you could argue that there whole ethos is based in the British post-punk sound, but `Echoes' was so New York (DFA's influence?) that this sounds like an entirely different beast. The killer dance tracks are still there, `Get Myself Into It', complete with gratuitous swearing, is the lead-off, insanely catchy single. The infamous cowbell-craziness is in effect on the wonderfully titled `Whoo! Alright Yeah...Uh Huh' and that's as close as it gets to being `Echoes'-type Rapture.

From there-on, the sound is almost melancholy. The two closers, `The Sound' and `Live In Sunshine' are moving, grown-up, fully realised songs and represent just how far The Rapture have come, sonically. In fact, I think `Live In Sunshine' could be the greatest song they have written yet...

This is the first album to receive a five star review from me, and it's fully deserved. This makes a mockery of `second album difficulties' and is one of those rare albums where not one track is skippable. `Echoes' was the kind of album that soundtracked Saturday nights up and down the land. `Pieces...' upholds that, but it goes a bit further...almost taking the night through to comedown. Superb.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the Rapture, 31 Aug 2007

Pieces Of The People We Love
Pieces Of The People We Love by The Rapture (Audio CD - 2006)