5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets
After 30 years I still listen to this one every week or two, and it grows with familiarity. The album contains 4 very different sides, and was a mystery to me when I first heard it. Side one is a live piece and despite the average recording is somewhat extraordinary.
Nothing can prepare you for "Slightly all the time", however. It's as though everything Soft Machine...
Published on 17 Nov 2003 by David Unsworth

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Not as good as I remembered it !!
Published 18 days ago by norman8554

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars soft machine 3, 20 Dec 2011
K. Davies (HIRWAUN ABERDARE, MID GLAM United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Third (Audio CD)
out bloody rageous was the first SOFTS I ever heard in the 70s been hooked ever since a must for all prog rock fans still holds up today

5.0 out of 5 stars Fan B***** Tastic, 25 Sep 2007
This review is from: Third (Audio CD)
This album was always a favourite of mine and I played my vinyl LP version smooth, however, I always felt that the CD trandfer could have been given a bit more care. This is what I had been waiting for it is a fantastic piece of work.

The remastered album brings out the subtleties in the music that were hidden before with a much fuller sound. I said this to a sceptical friend who then grudgingly went off a bought himself a copy. He was even more impressed than I was so I count that as a big success.

For those of you who know this album it is really worth buying again. If you have the live bonus track from other sources (bootleg albums I think) then I promise you they have been cleaned up and improved no end and the original album sounds so much clearer without going too far.

If you don't know this album then this is the version to get, it is classic Soft Machine that was running in parallel with jazz/rock fusion in thew US from people like Miles Davis but it is not a pale immitation of any of that. This band was way out there on the cutting edge, the influence of this album is hard to over estimate; it is a giant!

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 29 Aug 2014
This review is from: Third (Audio CD)
Not as good as I remembered it !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Adam "out bloody rageous" Dale takes the mick, 9 July 2012
This review is from: Third (Audio CD)
Now I was born to hate this album. Bloody Adam Dale, ginga ringer from Welwyn Garden City-pint size king of cool loved this tosh. He'd play it to me and I'd wrinkle my nose at the pea soup of well, dirge and sonic noise. Ok, so that was somewhere in 1971. Wind on to the 1990s and I pick up a CD of this because I was having some fond memory recesses about my old friend Adam and well just had to see what all the fuss he'd made then was about. So to speak. Well, absolutely bloody amazing what time marching on does to the ears and aural parts of the trained brain. Yeah, in the interim I'd found a liking for jazz and groan Coltrane so Soft Machine of this vintage was child's play. And Robert Wyatt had made an appearance or three in my collection. But this is just brill! From the intransigense of "Facelift" to the nasal thrumming of "Moon in June" it is out-bloody rageous. Yeah. Stupendous. What do you mean you haven't got it in your collection? You should have heard it through tin speakers and a turntable held together with string.

5.0 out of 5 stars Third is a great one!, 1 Oct 2007
This review is from: Third (Audio CD)
Third by Soft Machine is as relevant now as it was when it came out over thirty-five years ago.. If you love music this record is for you. I will not try to explain how it sounds, but it is something you can listen to over and over again. On the other hand, if you want something simple and catchy to sing along to it might be smart to buy something else ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars A revelation, 25 Nov 2011
This review is from: Third (Audio CD)
This is not nice, relaxing music that delights and pampers to our desire for comfort. This is noisy, harsh and only occasionally mellow music from one of the iconic bands from the so-called 'Canterbury Scene'. Living near Canterbury myself, I have to say that this record captures the atmosphere of the place very well. It sounds quintessentially English yet is clearly influenced by progressive and free jazz as well.

Perhaps the most exciting thing is the sheer freedom of the compositions, the disregard for convention that so typified the progressive rock scene of the late 60s and early 70s. Check out the fuzz on the organ in the first track 'Facelift'. It's disgusting in a wonderful way. I just wish I had discovered Soft Machine earlier!

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughts on The Third, 12 Nov 2004
This review is from: Third (Audio CD)
Quite a few hidden surprises and generally accessible, a fine example of the 'Softs'nicely capturing the spirit of Canterbury. Definatley a good first intro to this style of prog rock; altogther a really enjoyable listenable album

5.0 out of 5 stars Mike Ratledge, 19 Sep 2003
John Lamb (Leicestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Third (Audio CD)
For me Soft Machine at their most innovative was Mike Ratledge.
The band always featured vituoso musicians but Mike Ratledge's numbers and solos were in a different league. The undoubted highlight of all time? 'Teeth' from Soft Machine 4. The most exciting number, arrangement and organ solo ever!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pidgeons are fighting in my garden =O !, 17 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Third (Audio CD)
I'm not going to try and impress anybody with arty-farty critique, I'm just going to express myself; This album, in truth, sounds exactly like that music that used to play on BBC and Channel 4 back in the early 90s at five in the morning while the teletext pages were being broadcast. In fact, I'm positive they played Soft Machine to accompany them. So yes, this is music to watch teletext by ( not a bad thing ).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Third
Third by Soft Machine (Audio CD - 2007)