Format: DVD|Change

on 5 August 2002
I didn't like this film. It's badly scripted with some cringingly terrible lines, contrived characters, and awful jokes. Hugh Laurie is the best thing in it, but he can't do much with the material - but Joely Richardson is even more wooden than she is in those awful Lloyds TSB ads. I've not read the Ben Elton book it's based on, but I'm told by those who have that the film doesn't do it justice. I hope for Ben's sake that that's true. I think you might like this film if you liked 'Blame it on the Bellboy', otherwise I'd give it a miss.
on 2 August 2002
I missed this film first time around as I was out of the country. Unfortunately, when it appeared in my local video store, I was not. Several of Britain's Most Celebrated Actors and Actresses make cameos here, most notably Rowan Atkinson, Dawn French, and Emma Thompson. This, along with the basic synopsis, contrives to become a publicist's dream. Which is just aswell, given the utter bobbins that lies behind it.
Joely Richardson and Hugh Laurie 'star' as a married couple who, guess what, appear to have the perfect life. Great home, media-friendly jobs, and a nice little line in CuteTalk TM. Oh, and a dog. But - and feel free to stop me if you've heard this one before - something's missing. Yes, the patter of tiny feet. Cue lots of 'hilarious' japes, including several jokes that sound as though they have come straight from a gynaecologist's Christmas party, plenty of 'comical' high-speed chases through scenic London (this being Film Version London, where everyone drinks Skinny Lattes and takes walks through leafy parks wearing Laura Ashley), and incase you missed it the first time around (1989, anyone?) an almost word-for-word replay of Mr Elton's sperm sketch. Laugh? Can anyone recommend a good stain remover? etc etc
As if this depressing dirge was not bad enough, Hugh Laurie and Joely Richardson deliver their lines with about as much passion as the contents of your average Ikea. There is no chemistry between them and the seemingly down-to-earth Joely is unconvincing as a woman undergoing the range of emotions one would expect from such a difficult situation. The numerous sex scenes are ludicrous, and while the very nature of the story requires the act to be robotic, there is little or no glimpse of any personality or passion, either in or out of the bedroom, that might have attracted this unlikely pair to one another in the first place.
Bland, painful, and pathetically constructed, this crass and heavy-handed attempt at a film falls flat on its much-injected arse...
on 12 August 2009
So often, what is called a comedy, does not appeal to my sense of humour at all. This one does! It is a very funny film. Easy viewing, non of those fast American voices that you can't follow. A wonderful movie for a great night in!
on 27 September 2013
I read the book first and I didn't enjoy the DVD as much as I thought I would. The book was funnier
on 2 April 2013
I chose this dvd after reading the Ben Elton book "unconceivable" and liked the movie almost as much as the book (almost)
on 2 January 2016
Was not what I expected. Did not really feel it went anywhere.
on 9 January 2016
Silly film, not a patch on original book by Ben Elton
on 9 November 2015
Bought to replace old video copy. Very good
on 17 February 2016
Excellent - a really good comedy/romance
on 28 September 2015
Great laugh, would recommend this dvd.