5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Grower
Published on 15 Mar. 2007 by Mr. S. D. Allin

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacking Punch
I've had this for a while and given it a good few listens and it's not growing on me. I struggled to overplay Fire. It's punch, humour and freshness just never seems to decay. Whilst I didn't expect them to reach those heights and expected a "progression" of sorts, I am still disappointed. It's a good album with one or two great tracks but for the most part it's tepid.
Published on 12 April 2010 by ourla

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Grower, 15 Mar. 2007
Mr. S. D. Allin (Enfield, Middx, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Switzerland (Audio CD)
At first listen "Switzerland" lacks the immediacy of predecesors "Fire" & "Senór Smoke" and as with the latter there is no obvious crowd-pleasing crossover hit single apparent to match "Danger: High Voltage" or "Gay Bar". However, after a few spins this CD reveals it's ample charms and you'll find yourself bellowing out the wonderfully inappropriate lyrics to "I Buy The Drugs", "Night Vision" and "Infected Girls" at the top of your lungs as their tunes seep into your skull. Be warned that the relentless driving groove of "Mr. Woman" may also cause an embarassing tendency towards excessive foot-tapping and desk-drumming.

It's very much a case of business as usual for the band and if it isn't broke don't fix it, so expect the usual amalgamation of disco and FM rock music with a great pop sensibility.

The band sound tight and Dick Valentine's vocals are as ever perfect for this sort of thing. Special mention should also be made for the frankly bonkers "Pink Flamingos" which is possibly this album's "Jimmy Carter".

Well worth a purchase for the ardent fans of the six and for beginners as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Six's best album to date?, 17 July 2007
Pilch (Maidstone, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Switzerland (Audio CD)
A novelty act they may be, but the Six have got some fine tunes, and "Switzerland" is illustrates that with some of their most infectious tunes to date. The incredibly catchy "I buy the drugs" would be, in an ideal world, a true pop anthem, as would the equally-as-catchy "Germans in Mexico" which will have you singing "Deutsche Deutsche" involuntarily from just the first listen.

There are (as you would expect) funk-inspired tracks like "Pulling the plug on the party" and guiter-driven rockers like "Mr.Woman" and "Night Vision", which -like the rest of the album - are a little edgier than the Six's previous work. Even the album's token lewd songs - "Infected Girls" and "Rubber Rocket" - are superb, the former being one of the best songs in the band's arsenal. The sing-a-long "Pink Flamingos" is quite possibly the chirpiest and quirkiest track on the album.

Although it may have not as many stand-out tracks, "Switzerland" stands up better as an all-round album than "Fire". The Six are a band developing and maturing way beyond the level of their debut - bring on album number 4, due in October.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good follow-up album, 15 Oct. 2006
C. Adams (East Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Switzerland (Audio CD)
I have bought Electric Six's last couple of albums (Fire, Senor Smoke) and I was a little skeptical that they could create another album with the same stay-appeal as the last. But I can safely say that they have created another cracker. If you liked the last albums then I would strongly recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars different people like different songs., 22 Aug. 2007
L. Williamson "L. Jack" (Eccose) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Switzerland (Audio CD)
One thing i have noticed in the various reviews and from people i know is that almost everyone has a different favourite track. While less imediately party like than say, fire, this album has a conciderable number of genres and tracks which are dicernable from one another - which is a good thing. i like different music for different moods (not that electric six cover any "serious moods")

fire fell down slightly for lack of variation, which is why i continue to enjoy the varying wierdness that E6 have evolved into. looking forward to 'I shall exterminate everything around me that prevents me from being the master'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why doesn't everyone own this?, 2 Feb. 2007
Mr. David M. Crompton "Swedish Dave" (Newcastle England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Switzerland (Audio CD)
I'm going to state my view clearly and early before I start ranting;

A. I love electric six, I can't think of another group or artist that sounds anything like them, I mean is it rock? Is it Disco? Is it funk? Is it Dance? Electric Six are the only group I know who can fuse all these styles.

B. This album is awesome! It's more of the same but I have no complaints about that, since the same old electric six is unlike anyhting else out ther at the moment, BUY THIS ALBUM! And get a hold of the other two if you can.

C. Finally, why are these guys so criminally under represented? Serisously, they're one of the greatest groups I know yet I never hear of them any where. OK, I know they slipped up bad with the Radio Ga Ga video (I'm not defending that, but I do like their take on that song), but why have they not been given a second chance by the public? Sometimes things just ain't fair.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacking Punch, 12 April 2010
ourla (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Electric Six, 4 Nov. 2013
K. Foad (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Switzerland (Audio CD)
One of their early albums and great fun to listen to. If you like their stuff, this is more of the same. This album took longer to grow on me, but it did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album despite a dud or two., 7 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Switzerland (Audio CD)
As with all electric Six albums , they are rocky , fun and full of gyrating lyrical talent.
Mr Valentine and Co. have really produced another essential album for all Electric Six fans.
Its not quite " FIRE " , but its not too far away either.
The best songs are : ' I buy the drugs ', ' Pulling the plug on the party ' and dare i say it,
probably the catchiest song Electric Six have ever produced " Infected girls " .

I have to admit, when i first heard these guys i instantly liked them.
I had " FIRE " playing on my cd player everyday. Back then I was so looking forward to a follow up
album for so long , but it never came. The reason being, my country never released any more
of their albums and i thought they had split up. It just goes to show that advertising and
promoting your albums are important, as none of the record stores i went into stocked
anything belonging to the Six, other than " FIRE ". I guess the record stores here thought they
had vanished into the night without a trace also.

Its only when you check on-line stores that you see exactly whats available by every artist.
If Mr Valentine ever gets to read this review, i would say try and do as many TV shows all around the
world and get out there and promote. playing little clubs wont spread the word , TV and every country's
main broadcaster is where to get the message across.
We should have Electric Six all over MTV and any other Music channel , but why that hasnt happened is
a by-product of what i mentioned above. Get out there and promote.

I dont know how they lasted for the past 5 years, but im glad they did.

3.0 out of 5 stars Downhill sking for Switzerland, 22 Jun. 2007
Michael J. Bull (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Switzerland (Audio CD)
Im a big fan and Fire is probably my favourite album ever. I love the mix of strong guitar rifts, keyboard/ disco beats and quirky lyrics. I don't think they've been able to repeat the tightness and originality of Fire. Senior Smoke was a disapointment but not a total let down, but this offering I'm afraid is poor. Solos and rifts are few and far between with the exception of "Nightvision" being the only song in which meets the bands previously high standards. You do get quirky foot tapping tunes like "germans in Mexico" and "i buy the drugs" but no real stand out anthems that had me jumping when fire exploded onto the scene.

Switzerland
Switzerland by Electric Six (Audio CD - 2008)