Format: DVD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 February 2013
Many think that the original Basic Instinct epitomised the worst in cinema and its notoriety for a certain scene, alone, had propelled it and Ms Stone to superstardom. Those truly thinking that would have really been smug when the sequel appeared and flopped, at least in comparison.

Now, we're all adults and I'm sure that if you're eyeing up this double feature, it's not to see the original for the very first time. The second, maybe. So, you've an idea what you're getting...

Seen as a super-smooth and sexy (yes!) psychological cat-and-mouse sex thriller, then Basic Instinct is hugely enjoyable entertainment. Stone is stunning and every bit a sexual predator as you're likely to ever see. That infamous (un) crossing leg scene has had its impact diluted of course over the years but then, this was very controversial.

Basic Instinct 2 is good but to my mind, the move to London is a questionable one and having David Morrissey as the cop who gets the Stone treatment is flat and boring and brings nothing to the film. A cardboard cut-out would have been better! But Sharon, despite being in her late 40s by its 2006, oozes sex and sassiness. It goes on too long as well, though (114m).

I bought this set mainly as both movies seemed to be only shown on the minor ITV channels and were endlessly cut up by stupidly timed ad breaks. These are the sorts of moves that you watch when you want to watch them - and on this basis, (I got mine second-hand and cheap) then this is a good set to get.
review image
on 16 September 2008
It's well and good these Amazon reviewer's giving both of these movies a load of stick, but as I ask when reviewing Basic Instinct 2, can they write a better script?
As novel's, both of these would be frantic page-turner's, the plots weave in and out of possibilities, probabilities, red-herrings, maybe's and might be's which even Agatha Christie would be proud to have concocted. Yes, there are gratuitous sex scenes, but excuse me all you Village Idiot's out there, these movies are titled 'Basic Instinct'!
Duh!
Yes, the over-rated 'leg-crossing-scene' is in there, too, but at the time it was released a scene like that HAD NEVER BEEN SEEN IN A MOVIE BEFORE, so why knock innovation, panache and style?
For me, both of these movies are about confidence, and Sharon Stone portray's Catherine Tramell as the millionaire / million $dollar looking writer who doesn't take "No" for an answer from anyone, and COMMANDS attention wherever she happens to be. When my own confidence flags, I think of her in this role to boost my own, and it works. In fact, an attractive young lady where I worked a few year's ago refused to "walk into a small canteen full of men" to put her lunch in the microwave because she "felt intimidated." I recommended she watch the 'Basic Instinct' movies, she did so, and they gave her the necesssary confidence boost not only to walk in and microwave her lunch, but to have a chat and a laugh "with the lads" she used to fear!
The Basic Instinct movies go much further than simply watching them on the screen, for me, they were a tremendous lesson in life, and if anyone doesn't find the plots rivetting, well, like I say, write a film script yourself and we'll find out how good you are at keeping bums in seats when your movie is released!
on 17 August 2013
a very good film ,even better on dvd ,it is a great set and well worth buying ,enjoy it ,it is well worth it
on 15 October 2013
this is a present for my sister who loves her films so i am pleased to get it so thank you
on 23 December 2015
Described as in description.
Great DVD and I loved it