5.0 out of 5 stars A warning to the curious...
This film isn't for everybody. When I saw it recently at the National Film Theatre, more people walked out over the course of it's 3+ hours than I'd ever seen at a cinema screening, not out of offense but out of boredom. To begin with, it feels loose and airy and virtually plotless as the two title characters encounter each other and gradually become inseperable. As they...
Published on 24 Sept. 2006 by R. Yeatman

1.0 out of 5 stars Celine and Julie sent me to sleep!
Most of my favourite films are from the early 70s, far more artistic license was available to directors then than has ever been allowed before or since. The result was that lots of arty, beautiful, trippy and way out films were made.

Published on 20 May 2011 by Apostasy Now

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most memorable films I have ever seen, 10 May 2012
This review is from: Céline and Julie Go Boating [1974] [DVD] (DVD)
I first saw this film in the seventies, in an almost empty cinema, with a very small audience, half of whom walked out during the intermission (!). But I loved it from the moment it started, never wanted it to end, have never forgotten it and would say, try it! Go with it and stay with it, live a different life where things work differently for just three short hours!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Celine and Julie sent me to sleep!, 20 May 2011
This review is from: Céline and Julie Go Boating [1974] [DVD] (DVD)

The downside is that some pretentious, overly long and dull films were also made, and I personally would put Celine and Julie into this latter catergory. It drags on for 193 minutes and nothing happens (well nothing happened in the hour and a half or so I lasted before I started drifting in and out of sleep!)

We're treated to such delights as the camera constantly panning in on a window or a bed or other inanimate object and just stopping on it for minutes on end with nothing actually happening. I found it incredibly tiresome, and could have cut the 193 minute film down to a ten minute short without losing any plot whatsoever. I really wouldn't recommend this film to anyone other than insomniacs!

Céline and Julie Go Boating [1974] [DVD]
Céline and Julie Go Boating [1974] [DVD] by Jacques Rivette (DVD - 2006)