4.0 out of 5 stars Can't Stop Smiling
Published on 2 Aug 2006 by J. M. Phillips

1.0 out of 5 stars TERRIBLE!
This film has absolutely no goodness in it. No plot, no good acting, it's all terrible. It made absolutely no sense to me! You'll definately be dozing by the end. Best avoided! If i could give it no stars, i would!
Published on 28 May 2011 by G. Stephenson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't Stop Smiling, 2 Aug 2006
J. M. Phillips (Abingdon, OXON United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cave of the Yellow Dog [DVD] (DVD)
As the DVD is yet to be released I can only comment on the film itself. For those who enjoyed 'weeping camel' this is a must. The beautiful landscape along with the slow-paced but heart-warming story create a enviroment which pulls the viewer in. The most endearing feature, though, has to be the wonderful performances that the crew managed to get out of the three children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Film., 1 April 2007
D. Kadi - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cave of the Yellow Dog [DVD] (DVD)
it seems to be very rare when a truly beautiful, sweet and simply-told movie comes along to delight the viewer. This is one such film. There is a real earthy, honest feel to this that I have never seen in a Hollywood production. Essentially, this is a docu-drama, which manages to extract incredible performances out of the very young children. Even the parents are superb. This is a MUST-SEE movie! It will aim right for your heart. If you haven't already, you will feel a deep yearning for the simeple ways of life again...and being part of a family. Superb. One of the finest films in the last 50 years!

4.0 out of 5 stars what a joy!, 16 Aug 2007
H. Kendall "helen" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cave of the Yellow Dog [DVD] (DVD)
I could have spent at least another week in the company of the Batchuluun family.
What a pity we couldn't have this instead of Eastenders.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quietly inspirational, 2 Nov 2007
This review is from: The Cave of the Yellow Dog [DVD] (DVD)
I came across this moving film by accident but it will stay with me forever. I live surrounded by a chaotic clutter of possessions, none of which make me any happier. This film creates a window into another approach to life. The family at the centre of the film work hard and the director does not allow sentimentality to disguise the harsh reality. They have an unvaried diet, long hours of manual labour and must create their own entertainment. The message which shines through is not how different we are but how similar - we all share love towards our children/parents/brothers/sisters. This film reinforces that our health and happiness depend on our relationships with others and reminded me how precious a sense of community is. The director manages the balance between documentary and drama much better than in her previous film "Story of the Weeping Camel" and the little girl at the heart of the story is natural and engaging.

4.0 out of 5 stars A strange new world, 4 Sep 2007
Mr. S. Keeley "skeels44" (film heaven) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cave of the Yellow Dog [DVD] (DVD)
I felt like i stayed on a long holiday with this family. Great great film, (ensuring your're in the right mood and frame of mind). Simple subject, studied and relayed to the viewer brilliantly. If you appreciate and are willing to see films which are not the norm then go for this.
The acting wasn't so much as acting as a family been themselves and someone with a camera invisibly filming them, even the animals were good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely movie!, 26 Feb 2007
This review is from: The Cave of the Yellow Dog [DVD] (DVD)
The story itself isn't complex - little girl of nomadic herdsmen finds a dog and wants to keep it. Her father wants her to leave it behind....

You will be absolutely knocked out by the little girl's performance - in fact, her whole family act in this film. The landscape is stunning and the film provides a fascinating glimpse into a way of life in jeopardy.

If you are looking for a nice family film this would suit confident readers (subtitled). My son is six and I just paraphrased the conversations for him cos he couldn't keep up with the subtitles.

Beautiful little film - enjoy it ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple story - beautifully acted and well constructed, 28 Jan 2008
This review is from: The Cave of the Yellow Dog [DVD] (DVD)
The first thing that will strike you is the cleanness of the shots and superbly naturalistic acting. It's a simple and well told story, with perfectly precise but unpretentious pace. A family surviving through a period of change within their long held traditions of simple nomadic life as the far spread community finds itself dwindling in numbers. In particular the central character, a young girl returning from schooling in the city, is acted with astonishing talent. I loved this film and it left me longing for a yurt in the mountains. Deserving of all its many awards and a must see.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Affirming, 5 Feb 2008
This review is from: The Cave of the Yellow Dog [DVD] (DVD)
I'd completely forgotten putting this on my list so when I put it on, I had no idea what it was about. Watching it was such a joy! It was stunningly beautiful and every character, right down to the puppy, was so beautiful "cast". The fact that I couldn't figure out whether it was a documentary or fiction, didn't matter to me. It was so believable and (rarely for me) I cared what happened. I loved it so much, I'm buying it and intend to watch it over and over again whenever I need reminding what's important in life.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine film from a fine filmaker, 16 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Cave of the Yellow Dog [DVD] (DVD)
When the film maker has talent AND an authentic relationship with her subject, you get great films like this. It is tenderly filmed and beautifully performed by the family, especially the little girl who stars. This DVD includes an interview with the writer/director, Byambasuren Davaa. Listening to her talk, I realised that the film is shaped entirely by her own relationship to her family, upbringing and Mongolian culture and it is this that makes the film special, as it is infused with her love for her subject, her life. I bought this because I'd seen her first film,The Story Of The Weeping Camel [2004] [DVD]another fine film about Mongolian nomadic life. I wish more women had the chance to make more films.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply beautiful!, 18 Jan 2008
Mrs. N. J. Manchester (Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cave of the Yellow Dog [DVD] (DVD)
I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of this simple tale. The landscape creates a beautiful backdrop for a slow-paced but heart-warming story. Performances, particularly form the children, are superb.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Cave of the Yellow Dog [DVD]
The Cave of the Yellow Dog [DVD] by Byambasuren Davaa (DVD - 2006)