Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 January 2007
I was introduced to these musicians by the inestimable Andy Kershaw in a Radio 3 programme he made about the music of Marseille. The programme was, to me, a revelation. One of the interviewees likened Marseille to New Orleans; a port with a cosmopolitan culture derived from centuries of trade and racial mixing. These guys - MTLJ - made music (described as a fusion of 'occitan tradition and black music') was the most immediately accessible to my ears and I have been enjoying this record ever since I acquired it. Don't let the fact that they are singing in french put you off. It's a glorious, joyful sound which banished winter for many minutes. I only hope somebody who is more knowledgeable about music than I am will take the time to review this record and help to enthuse a wider audience. These guys deserve it.

Note to record company: Please, please provide more details about the group in the CD cover brochure.
on 20 August 2007
This is an excellent, joyful blend of Provencal roots music with blues influences. Guitarist Blu is a seriously good musician, but his compatriots are not far behind.