5.0 out of 5 stars Good value dock with more features than Apple's
I use this dock to play my 60GB video ipod through my home stereo system and can't fault it. All the features work; including the extra ones with the remote (shuffle, repeat, next album...). Represents much better value than the Apple universal dock and IR remote and does more. Highly recommended!
Published on 18 Aug. 2006 by Gareth Pearson

1.0 out of 5 stars No Video For 160GB Classic
Dissapointed the item description did not mention that there were compatability problems with the ipod Classic.The docking station does not allow video output from the ipod Classic :(
Published on 28 Mar. 2008 by Mrs. Lara Fisher

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value dock with more features than Apple's, 18 Aug. 2006
Gareth Pearson "Gaaaooow" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPod Universal Dock (Black) including Remote Control (Electronics)

4.0 out of 5 stars Unlike Ronseal...., 14 Dec. 2006
...it doesn't do what it says on the tin! I have an Ipod video, which according to the manual should operate all of the 'extended' functions. It doesn't. I've tried upgrading my Itunes and Ipod software, as suggested by the Logic technical support, but this has no effect.

So the 'change album' feature doesn't work. Big deal! I have so many albums loaded that I can really see why I'd want to use this anyway. This is why I've only rated it as 4 star.

The unit is much more solid that it looks on the picture - quite heavy in fact - not sure what they've put inside (maybe a piece of lead?), so this is not going to be knocked off the top of my HI-Fi cabinet easily!

The remote is really slim, but simple enough to give me the most important functions without too much trouble - i.e. change track, pause/play and of course volume. Also worth noting that the range of the remote is quite impressive. I have a huge living room, and even half-way up it, 25 feet from the ipod, the remote works. Will also work at quite an oblique angle.

I haven't used playlists much in the past, but the change playlist function may be quite useful.

There are lots of ipod-docking 'hifis' on the market these days, but I have a very good 'traditional' component set - this is a great way of using it with the Ipod. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great and cheap!, 31 Jan. 2007
H. King "hk" (england) - See all my reviews
Well this is the third iPod dock I've tried for my 5th generation iPod 30GB, and it's by far the best value one.

The package I received came with: the dock (about W10xL12xH3 cm), the remote (about W4xL10xH0.5 cm) with battery, 4 dock adapters (for the mini, nano, 5G30gb/4G20gb, and 5G80gb/4G60gb), a power brick (this is pretty big), and a US and UK plug for the power brick.

The dock itself is made from a shiny black plastic with the logic3 logo on the front right, the IR sensor is concealed behind a blue transparent plastic window which also holds a LED which lights up blue when the unit is connected to power. The grate on the top is also just for show, there aren't really any holes there, and it certainly doesn't contain a speaker as some reviewer here seemed to expect. The outlets on the back (from left to right) are: DC in, s-video out, 13-pin dock connector, composite-video out, line (3.5mm jack) out. Allowing connection to power, a TV (for video and audio), a hi-fi (for audio), and your computer for syncing.

The remote is compact and neat, allowing you to control the basic functions of the iPod, it doesn't however let you navigate through any menus. From left-to-right, top-to-bottom the remote buttons are: next album, shuffle, next playlist, prev album, repeat, prev playlist, skip back, play/pause, skip right, vol-, vol+. The remote is very simple, almost easy to lose!

The only problem I've had with this is the change playlist and change album functions, which seem to be a bit temperamental (then again i don't use playlists a lot). The remote does have some lag on it, as with any IR remote, but this is about 1/3 second, not really a problem. The remote volume changes the unit volume, not the iPod volume, and if you hold down the play/pause button on the remote - as with the iPod - the iPod will go to sleep.

I use this to play all my music through my hi-fi, and sometimes play video through the tv, it keeps my iPod charged up and I simply plonk it in when I get home and take it out when I leave. This is a great value dock and beats the official apple one on features, especially if you have a black iPod!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 1 Oct. 2006
B. Hume "Benzi" (London) - See all my reviews
Works well over all. Tested it with a mini and all of the functions worked as directed. Looks nice and does the trick. Only reason that it got a 4 star rather than a 5 is hat there are no cables to connect it to a stereo system. You will need to purchase these separately. Not a big deal but still costs a little more to do. Over all though would recommend these if your looking for a dock to listen to music through.

5.0 out of 5 stars great budget dock and great price, 7 May 2008
before i brought this dock i read a review here that said that when using the ipod 80gb classic with this logic 3 dock you could not sync, and the audio out function does not work, i went ahead and brought it anyway and i am glad i did, it fits perfectly with the ipod 80gb classic (using the dock adapter included with the ipod classic) it syncs fine in itunes, charges fine and the audio out function sounds great, if it makes any difference i am using the latest 1.1.1 firmware on my ipod classic so maybe a compatibility conflict was resolved in this latest update, i have yet to test to see if video out works with this dock but i have no interest in using that feature so i don't care if it doesn't work or not, i recommend anyone who is looking for a simple dock without the speakers and doesn't want to spend a small fortune on the official apple dock to buy this, you will be very satisfied with it 5* from me :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Does work with 2G Nano, 7 Nov. 2006
S. Cooney (Midlothian, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I was concerned that the extended functions would not work with my 2G 8GB Nano, after reading an earlier review, but everything works without problem. Maybe the reviewer has a first gen. Nano? It did not come with a Nano dock adaptor, but the one supplied with the Nano fits fine.

It looks great, takes up very little space and the sound output is excellent. The remote control does not need to be pointed directly at the dock, it worked in any direction I aimed.

Overall very good value, no need for an Apple branded dock.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Video For 160GB Classic, 28 Mar. 2008

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but tad bulky and missing a cable., 8 July 2007
A. Stewart (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This dock comes with a largish power brick and a slim remote control. However, it doesn't come with a cable for connecting it to your stereo via the 3.5mm jack socket.

The first thing I noticed was that I cannot dock my iPod Nano 2nd gen without removing its silicone protective skin, as the slot in the Apple universal dock adaptor that came with the iPod is too narrow. This would be a problem with any dock as opposed to a simple cable though, as the adaptor came with the iPod, not the dock. The dock does come with adaptors for those that need one and don't come shipped with one.

Next thing was that I couldn't get any sound out of the thing. Turning up the volume with the remote control fixed that, although it could have done with the output going a little higher.

The pointless little blue light on the front has no function other than to let you know that the power is on. It stays on all the time and there is no visual indication that the remote is being operated.

Overall, I prefer this to the Apple dock as it comes with the power supply and a remote control.

4.0 out of 5 stars logik 3 I - pod dock, 25 July 2007
S. Whitnall "Steve Whitnall" (Yorkshire,England) - See all my reviews
The dock is used with my roberts MP23 DAB radio/cd/anything.It matches the lustrous black finish of the Roberts & interfaces ok.My wifes Ipod nano 4 gb plays via a 3.5 - 3.5 lead which had to be purchased seperately.The sound quality is great but the remote does'nt seem to control the Ipod in shuffle & repeat mode correctly.If I set the Ipod to run in shuffle manually then all is perfect,the remote does'nt have the same control.Having said this if you want a cheap interface which charges your Ipod & replays your music via another device then buy this little unit - its perfectly adequate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, 28 Dec. 2007
I use this with an iPod touch and am pretty happy with it.

Good points:
- Comparitively cheap for dock, charger and remote
- Works great for connecting iPod to hifi
- Remote works with iPod touch including changing albums, tracks and volume

Bad points:
- Video out does not work from composite out with ipod touch (haven't tried from s video as don't have a cable). Not major for me as mainly bought as an audio dock.
- No included dock adapter for ipod touch, therefore have to use the white one that came with the ipod touch (looks a bit odd with black dock)
- No standby mode as far as I can see. Blue light remains on front regardless of whether iPod is docked or not. Would have been nice to have an on off switch on the back of the unit.
- No audio/video cables included, however uses standard connectors so not a big issue

I haven't tried synching through the dock as my computer is not near my hifi.