on 3 March 2016
Loved it years ago. Still love it and am re-reading book too
on 13 December 2015
Brilliant series. As good if not better than I remember.
on 16 January 2016
Fast delivery, good package & quality, thanks.
on 22 February 2015
Fantastic series and still great to watch!
on 28 June 2015
I've just watched the whole of this magical dramatisation , over three or four sittings, for the third time since I first saw it on TV back in the '80's. It has again been a transcendent experience for me - I found myself applauding at the end of the final episode - which is why I feel compelled to add my little voice to the chorus of praise . A gilded inter-war world of aristocratic England - recalled by the war-weary Charles Ryder in 1944 - is magically evoked , closely following Evelyn Waugh's beautiful novel, by an outstanding serialisation which was first screened by Granada in the autumn of 1981. Not only is it impossible for me to find any fault with the production - it is , as so many others have said, indeed a genuine masterpiece, shimmering with brilliance in every aspect. The understated authority of Jeremy Irons's performance and narration as Charles Ryder, the extraordinary power of Anthony Andrews as the tormented Sebastian Flyte, and Diana Quick's amazing performance as his sister - these are the three 'starring roles' ; but the whole cast is outstanding - Simon Jones's cold pomposity as Brideshead, Stephane Audran's beauty and poise as Cara - one could go on. However the acting is merely one part - the locations, the shooting, the script, the period details, the pace, Geoffrey Burgon's gorgeous score...all these and other ingredients blend to produce an ambience and power which is for me unequalled. A majestic piece of television, and if you know someone who still looks down in snooty disdain at the 'telly', get them to watch this. Incidentally, this 'Collector's Edition' DVD box set is an appropriately tasteful product, replete with attractive photographs and Special Features.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 February 2012
Maybe I was over-hyped. It's happened to me before (with "Citizen Kane" all I could think on 1st viewing
was "this is the greatest movie of all time?!?" 2nd time around, I realized it arguably was.)

So, while this received almost only ecstatic praise and rave reviews, my feelings on 1st viewing were
slightly more tempered.

There are some wonderful performances throughout, and the early episodes beautifully capture a world of
tenderly close relationships between collage aged boys that are so intimate that the unanswered question
of `is it sexual?' becomes almost moot.

The series is never boring, although each piece is separate enough that there isn't a conventional build up
of momentum. Not a complaint, I actually found that interesting and different.

The big fly in the ointment for me, was that, In the end, while I was always interested I was rarely moved.
In perhaps my own failing, I had a hard time with some of the overtly religious elements of the climax, with
characters making decisions and discoveries I found emotionally incomprehensible.

I was also bothered by the fact that Sebastian, so much the core of the first third is basically abandoned as
a character, with only occasional expository speeches to tell us what happened to him.

Further there is an obsessive infatuation with the upper class that borders on creepy. Waugh reportedly believed
in the natural superiority of upper class British society, and disliked "outsiders" like Americans and Jews. I felt
that attitude throughout, but was bothered that the film neither questioned or explored it.

Jeremy Irons is brilliant for half the series, but in the later half I felt him working at playing `older', indeed coming
off as older than the character is supposed to be, and more emotionally flat than needed.

But those complains aside, as a capturing of the sadness of life, how the joy of youth gives way to the confusion
and loss of middle age it is effective and intelligent. If I wasn't blown away I was still glad to have seen it.

I need to watch it again to see if I missed a masterpiece, or I'm just out of sync with the world on this one.
on 27 January 2015
Just as I remembered it - excellent.
on 17 January 2016
excellent DVD, excellent seller
on 11 February 2015
great item well satisfied
on 5 June 2008
I saw Brideshead Revisited for the first time on TV in the early 1980s and I remember it well for its nostalgia for what we today call old-fashioned values. After having watched all the episodes on the DVD some 25 years later, I must say that the series still manage to hold its grip on me who have always admired British cinema and the reserve of excellent British actors like Jeremy Irons and John Gielgud. I still think the series is one of the most outstanding ever produced by a British television company. For the excellent bargain of about 17 pound you can still witness the doomed relation of Charles Ryder with the Marchmain family - a human drama set in grand locations in England and Venice in the recent past. Brilliant!