Format: DVD|Change

on 22 August 2007
As the only review this film received was a bad one, I thought I would provide one with quite the opposite view. I found this film to be immensely enjoyable and actually quite special. The cast were well chosen and worked well together. Laura Linney never fails to be beguiling and her character certainly is in this film. Topher Grace is a treat to watch as the young man who is somewhat overwhelmed with the development of his relationship with the beautiful older woman. He is funny and sweet and the connection portrayed between himself and Linney's Louise Harrington is touching and unusual. I will not go into details regarding the storyline, but I would encourage those with a romantic outlook to check out this film. I feel it can be enjoyed by many. It is somewhat wistful which may be off-putting to some, but I find that to be part of it's charm. There is a great honesty to all the characters and realness to their situations. Linney's character comes to have a second chance at love and the development of this love is what makes this film that bit magical. I loved this movie and would recommend giving it a chance as you may be pleasantly surprised by the little gem you find.
When I was attending Johnson Middle School on an American Air Force Base in Japan (in the same buildings where they trained Kamikaze pilots during World War II), I had a crush on this one girl named Michelle who pretty much ignored me (except for once when she wanted to make this other guy jealous, not that I could have been used for such purposes at that age). My father retired to New Mexico and I went to high school. One night during my first year somebody called the house and said it was a phone call for me from Japan. I immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was Michelle calling me, which made absolutely no sense whatsoever if I was thinking with my brain but obviously sprung from a more emotional place. My hopes were immediately dashed and it would be another two years before a girl would finally ask me out on a date.
I mention this story because it allows me to understand the leap of illogic that overwhelms Louise Harrington (Laura Linney) in "p.s.," an Independent film written and directed by Dylan Kidd ("One Wild Night") based on the novel by Helen Schulman. The tagline for the film is "What would you do for a second chance?" Louise is an admissions officer at Columbia and when she sees an application from F. Scott Feinstadt (Topher Grace), she calls him up to come in for an interview. After it is over she runs after him and ends up taking him back to her apartment where she pretty much literally jumps him. It does not matter that she is an admissions officer and he is a candidate for admissions. Nor does it matter that she is 39 and he is 18. All that matters is that his name is Scott Feinstadt and he looks something like the young boy drawn on a napkin that Louise has in her possession.
Eventually we (and F. Scott) learn that Louise considers him to be a dead ringer for her boyfriend who died when she was 17. She insists that F. Scott looks like this boy, sounds like this boy, paints like this boy, and basically makes it clear that the evidence is so obvious and overwhelming that the only reasonable thing to do is treat him like her Scott brought back to life. This Scott likes the sexual part and while being considered a dead guy is bad enough, it is the fact that Louise thinks his art is not his own that really upsets him. If Louisa was not in a vulnerable enough position to begin with, her ex-husband Peter (Gabriel Byrne) has reached Step 9 in his recovery program and shows up to make amends (This is never a good thing in the movies. Well, okay, not never, but the odds are really against you on this thing).
If this remind you of "Birth," another 2004 film, let me assure you that you are not alone. This time the young boy is older, so that there is a sexual dimension to the relationship, but that is not as important as the emotional turmoil that Louise is going through. The biggest difference between "p.s." and "Birth"--and why I rounded up on this one--is that this time when Louise turns to her friend, Missy Goldberg (Marcia Gay Harden) and says that this kid looks like the long dead Scott, her friend readily agrees instead of giving the more obvious rejoinder as to possible insanity. At that point the two women proceed to fight over this Scott, the same way they did over the earlier one two decades earlier. This has its comic moments, but there is also a tragic irony to it and this becomes the best scene in Kidd's film, not only because of the performance by Linney, but because it embracing the absurdity of the situation her character finds the means to let it go.
on 2 August 2014
One of the best movies I have seen in last few years. Very direct and subtle at the same time. Laura Linney in her best. Plots and characters are very strong. I love dialogues between two female friends. There is something refreshing in being brutally honest. It doesn't happen very often in movies. It doesn't happen often in real life. I wish this movie could go on for longer.
on 5 December 2014
Laura Linney is powerful, Tropher Grace is light and breezy in a way that young men are. Loved their relationship. The film could have dug deeper about the relationship between the two, but is also beautiful as it stands.
on 30 April 2014
When does the film industry actually allow an elder woman to have a successful relationship with a younger man? This is the first movie I have come across that actually has a happy ending in such a constellation and does not split the couple up under ridiculous pretences. Finally!
on 15 March 2015
slow and flat. terrible music
on 24 July 2015
worst film I have ever seen....the writer is clearly obsessed with sex. The characters are dull. The script is poor. Only giving it one star as I cant give ZERO stars - the amount this piece of rubbish deserves
on 25 February 2015
TERRIBLE...COMPLETLY UNBELIEVABLE DROSS.....YOUNG BOYFRIEND HAD A HORRIBLE WHINEY VOICE YEUK!
on 21 January 2007
Where was the story line in this film? The scenes were well-designed as were the main character Louise's outfits; but the narrative was missing.

Really, who cares about your pathetic life?

Without Laura Linney, I would have lost interest in the first few minutes. Once "that 70's show" star arrived on the scene a few laughs were shared, otherwise everyone was way too serious, about, who knows what... Sex addictions, victim addictions, the need to create, boring jobs. Yikes, please summarize and re-edit this film.

The final scene as "Wheezy" leaves the lovely Columbia Campus and enters the leafy forest of Broadway and 116th is just classic - what is your problem chick? Enjoy life in the world's most awesome city and get over yourself!
on 30 June 2014
Terrible movie dont waiste your money