4.7 out of 5 stars1,319
Colour: Black|Change

Most of the reviews are pretty accurate. Now I have this gadget, I've reluctantly dropped my steel mini-cafetiere but still use my 'smart mug' with plunger at work. But the Aeropress is almost as quick, and better - the coffee is crystal clear (but brown - you know what I mean), no crema, but that doesn't matter too much to me, and tasty.

Here is some how-to-use-it info:
[...link deleted by Amazon] Download the instructions from the manufacturer's website for details of how to brew, if you want to check before you buy. But it's quick, and not as complicated as they make it sound - I think there is an online video.

For people collecting greenie points: A year's filters use fewer trees than just ONE newspaper. Plus - you can quickly rinse and reuse the paper filter over and over if you wish - I use mine about 6 times each - such a mean old man...

The Playce I got my Aeropress from (a while ago) INCLUDED 300 filters at a low price - Amazon may be price matching by the time you read this.

Almost self-cleaning, but it's dishwashable if you prefer. VERY heavy-duty, slightly flexible (not brittle) clear plastic. UPDATE - after almost 3 years, this is a tad stained and has very small fissures (nothing bad) near the base and the dishwasher won't bleach it. Not a real prob, though.

Needs quite a bit of slow, sustained downward pressure for 15 seconds or so - weak-wristed ladies may struggle. In the interests of balance, that goes for weak-wristed gentlemen, too. A coarser grind makes things easier, but then your coffee's not as strong and you need even more.
I've just kept on using my usual 'all purpose-grind' coffees (e.g. T.....'s Lazy Sunday, or any supermarket own brands), with no problems re strength - you have to make it strong, then water it down for an 'americano' strength. Finer-ground Italian or filter-grind brands are OK, though, too. After almost 3 years, I've started grinding my own beans but, as it's a bit of a pain, I do a week's worth at a time and keep in a vacuum tin, which probably is self-defeating.

I now never use another gadget or machine to brew coffee. So that's a waste of money on my Bodum steel plunger jugs. Cafetieres leave fine bits (sludge), but this doesn't. It's that good - and I'm usually sceptical of gadget claims. Hope all that helps.

UPDATE - I forgot to say that you can make more than one cup at a time. The side markings on the tube are for espressos, which you, if you wish, dilute to make an Americano. So e.g. for 2 Americanos, make enough coffee for 2 espressos, but plunge into 2 separate mugs (50% into each mug), then dilute as necessary.

UPDATES -
MUCH quicker than the great-looking but hard-to-find Chemex glass jug/wood collar/special filter, which I received as a gift. The Aeropress is 1 minute against 4 minutes with the Chemex for a single mug and its wasteful, single-use, giant filters.
November 2011 - no problems at all. Has been used twice a day for a year. Very slight scratching of the the tube by the plunger, understandably. Plenty of filters left as I make one last for about a week !
September 2012 - still brill.
November 2012. Very slight erosion at the end of the tube. Probably my fault for not ejecting the old coffee plug until the next time I use it, which is 24 hours later, usually. Still works fine, though. If it broke / went missing, I would immediately have to buy another one, and I don't often say that.
Spring 2013 - well, never one to give up, here's more... the latest ones are smoky grey, which should help disguise the slight staining which my Aeropress, now 3 years old, has picked up near the base. Probably my fault for never pressing out the used 'puck' of coffee until next morning. This has also led to the plastic slightly starting to 'corrode' near the base. But I really can't complain. It still works fine, don't be deterred! Birthday soon, and I think I need a new one. I'll keep the current one for holidays and emergency back-up. Because it WILL be an emergency the day they stop making these.
Thanks for the votes, everyone ! This is way more popular than my retro cubic fire review!

April 2014 - all good things must come to an end. A partial end. I couldn't resist buying one of the new tinted grey ones and retiring my 'clear' - but now stained coffee brown - old one. The old one's not TOO bad but, rather like me, it's slightly swelling around the wasitline area and cracking up a bit.
Usable, but I'll keep it as a back-up spare. But all those years for so little money and so much enjoyment? (I'm talking coffee makers; not marriage.) Well worth it!
2828 comments|1,038 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
My wife bought me one of these as a birthday present and, I must admit, I was pretty sceptical. It looked like yet another "too good to be true" gadget, especially with a box covered in eager claims that the AeroPress makes coffee better than almost anything else in the world.

How wrong I was. Using some bog-standard and fairly old pre-ground coffee we got from Ikea I made my first cup, not expecting much. I used the method as described in the instructions and found it simple, fast and quite fun. Then I sat back and tasted my work.

Good lord! Now, THAT was a surprise! What had previously been a meh-level brew was transformed into a rich and delicious cup that revealed hidden delights. And this was no fluke - cup after cup turned out amazing results, and using freshly ground high quality beans made the experience even better.

A little browsing and I soon discovered the inverted method. This is now my preferred way of using the AeroPress, as it produces the most silky smooth coffee I've tasted at home. It really makes your coffee beans sing, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

In fact, so good is this little device I've now bought a second one to use at work. For once, the hype is right.
on 27 February 2013
I've had an Aeropress now for a couple of years. We never make coffee any other way. I have literally lost track of how many people I've made coffee for who have gone on to comment on the flavour and ask how it was made.

It does use a fair amount of coffee, but I just buy the beans in Ikea (super cheap) and put them in a grinder (fairly fine grind - cafetiere fine, I would say - espresso grind is too fine). As I say - always gets positive comments from visitors.

My technique is to fill the Aeropress with about 4 scoops of ground coffee, then fill the plunger with cold water to mark "1", top up with boiling water and add to the coffee. (Boiling water makes your coffee bitter, hence the cold water). Press down for 10-15 seconds, over an insulated coffee flask (also from Ikea, in my case), then put the rest of the boiled kettle into the jug. Put the top on and you have great coffee which stays hot for several hours, if you can resist it that long.

I rinse the filters in cold water and reuse them several times so I'm still on my initial pack, and there are loads left.

Super easy to clean - remove the end and push out the coffee "puck" into the compost scraps or bin, then just give it a rinse under the tap.

Probably the most impressive piece of kit I've ever bought, for the price.
on 29 December 2014
Now I'm no coffee snob or amateur barista but I do like a nice cup of black coffee to start the day off so when I received the Aeropress for Christmas I thought it was worth having a proper go of it.

I'm pleased to report that after a week of regular use I'm actually very happy with it; I get a consistently smooth and tasty cup of coffee - plus the fine filter means that I don't get the coffee grams at the bottom of my mug that I do with my French press. It's super quick (no leaving it to brew for five minutes) and it's really very clean and tidy - very little washing up (eject the compressed coffee straight into the bin and rinse the plunger end. That's it) which is a real boon when you're as lazy as me.

There are bags of YouTube videos that show how to use one so I won't go in to detail but a couple of tips. Firstly, make sure you don't use boiling water. Either stop the kettle shortly before boiling or let it cool for a minute. Secondly - make sure you wet the paper filter before you use it - dry filters don't tend to produce as smooth a cup. Finally once you have added the water don't leave it too long before pushing the plunger down - the filter does let some water through.

So why not five stars? Well it does seem to need more coffee than my old French press for the same sized cup. I'm also not a fan of the paper filter. You can reuse them several times and they're pretty cheap but I would have liked to see a permanent metal one out of the box. Finally you can only make (at most) two cups at a time, but then the process is so quick I'm nit-picking really.

We'll see if the novelty wears off but right now this has replaced my French press and I can't see me going back.
on 22 November 2013
I got an AeroPress for my birthday a few months ago and I have to say it is fantastic. In my view it makes beautifully smooth and tasty coffee that is superior to a cafetiere, Moka or cheapish - ie £100-£150 - home espresso machine. For what it's worth, I use a technique explained to me by a barista in an excellent London coffee shop (Prufrock). This has the benefit of using significantly less coffee than you would use when following the instructions and (again in my opinion) makes a better cup of coffee. This is as follows: use 15g of coffee with 230ml of boiled water that has been left to cool for around 30 seconds. Stir for 10 seconds, then leave to stand for 1 minute 50 seconds, before plunging. I was also advised to use filtered water - I've tried this and I think it does improve the smoothness, but perhaps not sufficiently to warrant the extra faff. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that get very technical with timings, temperatures and measures. Much fun to be had.
0Comment|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 November 2012
This product has blown me away. I am a trained Barista and have been an avid coffee fan for years. My preferred method has always been french press however I was sick of wasting coffee and dealing with the mess. The Aeropress does away with the hassle of coffee grinds and cleaning, you simply pop the grinds into the bin. The BEST thing about the Aeropress is the amazing coffee, it really is that good, flavoursome punchy and smooth. I have found that the coffee it produces is way less acidic than French press which is good as I suffer from stomach problems. Buy it enough said.
Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker
on 29 February 2016
A fantastic piece of kit. It makes smooth, rich coffee on par with an espresso machine for a fraction of the cost. However, a fairer comparison would be between the AeroPress and a cafetiere, in which case it's in a different league! You'll spend a few days watching YouTube videos and tinkering with the ratio of coffee to water but after that you'll have fresh coffee brewed in a couple of minutes. Also highly recommended ecommended for travelling and camping.
review image
on 14 March 2015
It does everything it says it does on the can and more. Thrilled to bits with it. Lovely foamy milk not bubbles to make delicious Latte coffee. So easy, definitely recommend.
review image
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 7 October 2012
This device is easy to use and makes a fairly good cup of coffee. But compared to a cafetierre it seems to require more coffee to make the same size drink and I find the taste of the resultant drink is less smooth from the aeropress. It lacks crema, but on the plus side you don't get any of the sludge at the end of your drink either.

For me, the best thing about the aeropress is its convenience. It takes less than a minute to make your coffee (not including the time taken for boiling the kettle first of course,) but the clean up afterwards is super easy. Once you have pressed the coffee through the filter paper into your cup you are left with a little puck of compressed coffee grinds stuck to the circle of filter paper. You simply unscrew the base of the unit and eject the (not too drippy) grinds straight into your bin - so much less messy than cleaning up a cafetierre and barely any grinds get washed down the sink. It says it is pretty much self cleaning, but I like to give it a quick squirt of washing up liquid and a run under the tap so you don't get any stale taste coming through next time you use it. I keep a spray bottle of washing up liquid mixed with water near the kitchen sink for when I am only washing up a couple of items and this is ideal for quick clean ups for the aeropress.

For me the proof of the pudding was that I actually make a proper coffee using the aeropress just for myself; normally I would never bother getting the cafetierre out unless someone else wanted coffee too. It is perfect for making just a single cup or possibly two, but any more than that and it takes too long.
on 4 March 2011
This thing is so fun to use I find myself drinking more coffee than usual just to play with the darned thing!

Very simple to use. This thing produces the smoothest cup of coffee I've ever had in my life. Like super smooth, almost no acidity and not a trace of bitterness. It uses an alarming amount of coffee. Previously, when using my Hario manual drip, I used 2 scoops of 7gm coffee. With the Aeropress, I think the scoop size is 10gm and you need 2 of those. So it's about 1.5x the amount of coffee I usually use.

Initially, I was kinda concerned that by recycling the coffee filters, the coffee oils left behind on the filters would affect subsequent batches of coffee. But it doesn't really. If anything, I think it adds to the flavor level. Those little itty pieces of filters are tough!

Cleanup is very simple, dispose of the coffee "puck", rinse everything under the tap and you're done. Once every 3 or 4 cups, I'll wash with soap. I don't know if that's necessary but that is my preference.

The best thing about an Aeropress is that I actually get my coffee hot! Not lukewarm with the french press or with the manual drip. I used to nuke the coffee after it got done with the other methods (which does affect the taste obviously) and with the Aeropress, I don't have to! :D

I've been experimenting making my coffee with the Aeropress inverted. This DOES help to get more of the essential coffee oils into my cup rather than trapped in the top layers of the puck and wasted. So, your coffee experience is entirely customisable to your preference. I'm still experimenting though but so far, I'm very happy with this little gadget. Kinda expensive for a few pieces of plastic but what price coffee nirvana? :D