5.0 out of 5 stars Extra info for buyers plus 4-year 2014 update
Most of the reviews are pretty accurate. Now I have this gadget, I've reluctantly dropped my steel mini-cafetiere but still use my 'smart mug' with plunger at work. But the Aeropress is almost as quick, and better - the coffee is crystal clear (but brown - you know what I mean), no crema, but that doesn't matter too much to me, and tasty.

Here is some...
Published on 29 Aug. 2010 by Cheshire Dave

3.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly but nice coffee
I bought this for work after seeing someone at work using one and figured it would save filling the costabucks coffers. It arrived promptly. It does create a good cup of coffee and I cannot fault it on that. Using it is, however, somewhat fiddly and not quite the streamlined operation that the adverts would imply. My main observation is that when you set it up and add...
Published 20 months ago by Manof Kent

5.0 out of 5 stars Extra info for buyers plus 4-year 2014 update, 29 Aug. 2010
Cheshire Dave (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)

Here is some how-to-use-it info:
[...link deleted by Amazon] Download the instructions from the manufacturer's website for details of how to brew, if you want to check before you buy. But it's quick, and not as complicated as they make it sound - I think there is an online video.

For people collecting greenie points: A year's filters use fewer trees than just ONE newspaper. Plus - you can quickly rinse and reuse the paper filter over and over if you wish - I use mine about 6 times each - such a mean old man...

The Playce I got my Aeropress from (a while ago) INCLUDED 300 filters at a low price - Amazon may be price matching by the time you read this.

Almost self-cleaning, but it's dishwashable if you prefer. VERY heavy-duty, slightly flexible (not brittle) clear plastic. UPDATE - after almost 3 years, this is a tad stained and has very small fissures (nothing bad) near the base and the dishwasher won't bleach it. Not a real prob, though.

Needs quite a bit of slow, sustained downward pressure for 15 seconds or so - weak-wristed ladies may struggle. In the interests of balance, that goes for weak-wristed gentlemen, too. A coarser grind makes things easier, but then your coffee's not as strong and you need even more.
I've just kept on using my usual 'all purpose-grind' coffees (e.g. T.....'s Lazy Sunday, or any supermarket own brands), with no problems re strength - you have to make it strong, then water it down for an 'americano' strength. Finer-ground Italian or filter-grind brands are OK, though, too. After almost 3 years, I've started grinding my own beans but, as it's a bit of a pain, I do a week's worth at a time and keep in a vacuum tin, which probably is self-defeating.

I now never use another gadget or machine to brew coffee. So that's a waste of money on my Bodum steel plunger jugs. Cafetieres leave fine bits (sludge), but this doesn't. It's that good - and I'm usually sceptical of gadget claims. Hope all that helps.

UPDATE - I forgot to say that you can make more than one cup at a time. The side markings on the tube are for espressos, which you, if you wish, dilute to make an Americano. So e.g. for 2 Americanos, make enough coffee for 2 espressos, but plunge into 2 separate mugs (50% into each mug), then dilute as necessary.

UPDATES -
MUCH quicker than the great-looking but hard-to-find Chemex glass jug/wood collar/special filter, which I received as a gift. The Aeropress is 1 minute against 4 minutes with the Chemex for a single mug and its wasteful, single-use, giant filters.
November 2011 - no problems at all. Has been used twice a day for a year. Very slight scratching of the the tube by the plunger, understandably. Plenty of filters left as I make one last for about a week !
September 2012 - still brill.
November 2012. Very slight erosion at the end of the tube. Probably my fault for not ejecting the old coffee plug until the next time I use it, which is 24 hours later, usually. Still works fine, though. If it broke / went missing, I would immediately have to buy another one, and I don't often say that.
Spring 2013 - well, never one to give up, here's more... the latest ones are smoky grey, which should help disguise the slight staining which my Aeropress, now 3 years old, has picked up near the base. Probably my fault for never pressing out the used 'puck' of coffee until next morning. This has also led to the plastic slightly starting to 'corrode' near the base. But I really can't complain. It still works fine, don't be deterred! Birthday soon, and I think I need a new one. I'll keep the current one for holidays and emergency back-up. Because it WILL be an emergency the day they stop making these.
Thanks for the votes, everyone ! This is way more popular than my retro cubic fire review!

April 2014 - all good things must come to an end. A partial end. I couldn't resist buying one of the new tinted grey ones and retiring my 'clear' - but now stained coffee brown - old one. The old one's not TOO bad but, rather like me, it's slightly swelling around the wasitline area and cracking up a bit.
Usable, but I'll keep it as a back-up spare. But all those years for so little money and so much enjoyment? (I'm talking coffee makers; not marriage.) Well worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb coffee at a low price, 22 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I got an AeroPress for my birthday a few months ago and I have to say it is fantastic. In my view it makes beautifully smooth and tasty coffee that is superior to a cafetiere, Moka or cheapish - ie £100-£150 - home espresso machine. For what it's worth, I use a technique explained to me by a barista in an excellent London coffee shop (Prufrock). This has the benefit of using significantly less coffee than you would use when following the instructions and (again in my opinion) makes a better cup of coffee. This is as follows: use 15g of coffee with 230ml of boiled water that has been left to cool for around 30 seconds. Stir for 10 seconds, then leave to stand for 1 minute 50 seconds, before plunging. I was also advised to use filtered water - I've tried this and I think it does improve the smoothness, but perhaps not sufficiently to warrant the extra faff. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that get very technical with timings, temperatures and measures. Much fun to be had.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't get better for the money!, 18 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I first heard about the Aeropress several years back and actually bought it on a trip to New York when prices here were MUCH higher than they are now. It's interesting to read how this company have made a habit of looking at established products, stripping them down to find what makes them work and then re-inventing them.

What the Aeropress produces is a very smooth, flavoursome cup of coffee with very little bitterness. At the risk of sounding disparaging the coffee could be described as inoffensive; I say this because many friends of mine who are not big coffee drinkers have loved the coffee that it produces and several have gone on to buy one for themselves. The reason why it works so well is that all the coffee grinds get a rapid, full and equal saturation unlike, say, filter/drip coffee machines that tend to over-saturate the grind directly under the water spout and under-saturate the grind to the side. I'm sure that the filter paper plays a part in this also, as well as (allegedly) reducing the cholesterol.

The attention to detail in the product is very good. You get a funnel so that you can pour in the coffee grind without it spilling over the work-top (though I rarely bother with it) and a stirrer that is so designed that it will just hover above the filter paper and so wont damage it. I was concerned that the the rubber bung that is essential to maintain the pressure during plunging might prove to be a point of weakness but there is no sign of wear and tear after three and a half years of constant use and it does the job as well now as it did when I first bought it.

Cleaning it is a doddle: I simply plunge the spent grind in the bin or composter and rinse under the tap.

I have given five stars but it is not the answer to all your coffee needs: it is not suitable for making coffee for more than three or four at a time. The instructions suggest that you should make a small amount of very strong (espresso-strength) coffee and then divide into several cups and dilute with hot water to produce Americanos. I really can't be bothered with all that and simply serve full-strength, full-volume mugs of coffee; but doing that for more than a couple of people at a time is tiresome so dinner guests get the French Press.

This is a safe purchase that you will use again and again. I strongly and enthusiastically recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable coffee - literally, 27 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I've had an Aeropress now for a couple of years. We never make coffee any other way. I have literally lost track of how many people I've made coffee for who have gone on to comment on the flavour and ask how it was made.

It does use a fair amount of coffee, but I just buy the beans in Ikea (super cheap) and put them in a grinder (fairly fine grind - cafetiere fine, I would say - espresso grind is too fine). As I say - always gets positive comments from visitors.

My technique is to fill the Aeropress with about 4 scoops of ground coffee, then fill the plunger with cold water to mark "1", top up with boiling water and add to the coffee. (Boiling water makes your coffee bitter, hence the cold water). Press down for 10-15 seconds, over an insulated coffee flask (also from Ikea, in my case), then put the rest of the boiled kettle into the jug. Put the top on and you have great coffee which stays hot for several hours, if you can resist it that long.

I rinse the filters in cold water and reuse them several times so I'm still on my initial pack, and there are loads left.

Super easy to clean - remove the end and push out the coffee "puck" into the compost scraps or bin, then just give it a rinse under the tap.

Probably the most impressive piece of kit I've ever bought, for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to clean, and that's the point., 9 Feb. 2015
V. Ierubino (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
Length:: 1:05 Mins

The overarching benefit of this product is how easy it is to clean. This is ultimately what was sold me. I don't think all the puffery surrounding it has much weight ("smooth" coffee, "no bitterness", blah blah blah). The coffee tastes just fine. It probably wouldn't wow a true connoisseur (and you get a lot of fake ones swearing by this device), but if you're after a simple, quick and easy way to make your regular cup, this works: decent coffee, fast, dead easy to clean.

Let's clear up a few other points. This is basically no different than a French Press. It does not produce espresso. And the name/visual look is a clever trick. You are not extracting coffee via any true pressure (like coffee machines do). You are applying human strength (and that is all) to push coffee through a filter. Unlike a French Press, there is no risk of grounds whooshing through by doing this fast or under pressure, so you can plunge in 10-20s. Great! A fast French Press which is easy to clean.

That means two other things. First, don't buy the metal filters. They become another thing to clean, and allow finer grounds through anyway. The paper ones mean you can just pop out everything into the trash really easily. (Don't worry about wasting paper - 350 filters = 1/6th of a single newspaper). The metal ones make this a faff close to cleaning a French Press again. No good. Additionally a metal filter will force you to use the "inverted method"; but actually I've found I need to do this even with the paper filters (though the problem isn't as bad). This is no real problem, as either way up, like I say, this is just a clever French Press. So fine.

Do I recommend this device? Yes: because it's the quickest, easiest-to-clean way of brewing your regular coffee. Just don't expect the magic that their marketing team have swirled around it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aerobie AeroPress: makes good coffee., 13 Mar. 2012
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
For years I've ground my own beans and used a cafetiere to make my black coffee a couple of times a day. So when I read in The Times that the Aerobie AeroPress was being used in some independant coffee shops I thought it may be worth a try. I've been using it now twice a day for a week and I thought I'd pass on my thoughts. First; it's nicely designed in high quality tough plastic; this isn't going to break of you drop it in the sink! It came with a 10g coffee scoop, a stirer, 350 paper filters, a funnel for pouring the ground coffee into the unit and the press itself. The instructions are thorough and clear but they go on a bit about getting the water temprature right for a perfect brew(which I ignored very quickly with no apparant problems.)
Basically you put a paper filter in the holder and screw this into the bottom of the press. Put the ground coffee in the top using the funnel, pour in the hot water until it just covers the coffee, wait a few seconds for the bubbles to stop (this is carbon dioxide coming off) then add the remaining water up to the level you want. Insert the plunger in the top, wait for a minute or two and then slowly push the plunger down, forcing the hot water through the coffee in about 20 - 30 seconds. That's it really! You then unscrew the filter holder, remove the paper filter so you can re-use it and push the grounds out in a compact "puck" either into the bin or onto the garden.
I have used the same filter 6 times now with no apparant diminution in quality so the 350 included are going to last a long time.
So how's the coffee? Very good. I have no doubt that I'm getting a much smoother, better tasting coffee than I was with the cafetiere. Thanks to the paper filter there are no coffee grinds at all in the cup so there's no bitterness. The instructions say to use two 10g scoops in one cup but this would be incredibly strong. I like my coffee medium strong with no milk and I'm happy using one scoop to one cup.
The manufacturers make a big thing about being able to make a cup of ground coffee as quickly as instant. I'm not sure I agree with that; but for me it wasn't about the speed but about the quality. I would suggest people play around with the measures of coffee and water to arrive at the best combination for them, but I have no hesitation in recommending the Aeropress as a replacement for the cafetiere.
Two final things: first; you need a mug with an internal diameter of 7cm to sit the press in, which is a little wider than many. Second: you don't need to wash it because the rubber plunger self cleans the unit when you push the grounds out, just rinse it under the tap which is a nice bonus!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portable device - best I've come across yet!, 14 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this as a bit of a gamble, as I needed a way of making decent coffee in work.

Delivery was really quick, and it's arrival coincided with a delivery of a fresh batch of my favourite coffee beans.

My first view was that the device is well made and sturdy, and the process looks pretty simple to do, so I ground some of my favourite beans, followed the instructions and tried the results. One word - awful. However it's not all bad news.

I tried again with a milder coffee (with a rating of 3 on the strength scales - rather than off the scale for my usual beans) and I was immediately delighted.

The results are so much better than any other method that doesn't involve and espresso pump! In fact, I have been drinking coffee made with it all day, rather than using my espresso pump.

Despite the claims on the packet, it doesn't produce espresso - not as I like to drink it anyway - no crema layer at all, and as I said using my favourite espresso roast, it makes quite a bitter drink that lacks any depth of flavour. However, as a replacement for a cafetiere or a percolator it's simply brilliant.

I am also really impressed with how clean it is - in work, we have been berated for blocking the sinks with coffee grounds from a cafetiere, but with this, you are left with a softly compressed disc of coffee grounds that can be easily ejected into the bin, a quick rinse and you are ready to go again.

In short I'm delighted with it, if somewhat surprised to have to use milder coffee that I would normally. For a portable device it's really good, and I don't think you can quibble at the price - it's worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Fantastic!, 7 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
This product is awesome and it makes a great cup of coffee or espresso. The version I bought on Amazon came with its own tote for traveling with. Easy to clean, easy to use, portable, and most importantly, it makes a better cup of coffee than my office coffee maker. The plastic is higher quality than that which can be found in most machines, so it doesn't impart any nasty plastic odors from the usage of boiling water. Easy to gauge if you want to make 1 or 2 cups (the lines are on it). I imagine that this could probably be used to brew a nice cup of tea or all sorts of herbal drinks, too. Fantastic, a great buy and great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes the best cup of coffee, 16 Jan. 2014
R. Street (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I've been thoroughly impressed with this device. It makes the most amazing cups of coffee. I made my mother a cup of coffee using this device and she says it makes a better cup of coffee than the expensive coffee machine she has so I ended up buying her one for Christmas!

While it takes slightly longer to make a cup of coffee compared to the Press Coffee maker it is well worth the wait. For those that like a full mug of coffee, I usually make Americano style coffees with mine by placing two heaped spoons in the top, filling up with hot water to the number 2 mark, stir, plunger and then top up the small strong shot of coffee in the mug with hot water. Note the coffee shot comes out tasting rather bitter if you pour scalding hot water on it, so best wait for it to cool slightly or pour it onto a spoon as it pours into the coffee maker.

One thing I will say to people who are missing the "crema" on the coffee is it all depends on the grind of the beans you are using with this device I have found. I usually grind my own beans and find if I grind them too finally you don't get the "crema" effect and it takes forever to push the plunger down. I have found that Lavazza Qualita Rossa pre-ground coffee seems to produce the best results. You won't get as much crema as you do from a machine, but you will get some.

5.0 out of 5 stars 18 months and still a love affair, 25 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I have had this for 18 months now and (I think) I could make the coffee dreamily at 6 am with my eyes shut. I admit to a couple of mishaps: once I pushed the plunger right down the wrong way and the "not yet" coffee went everywhere. Once I did not fit the filter cap properly and got another messy cascade. I did have a fine steel filter but must have thrown it away, so I am going to get another and try be less dreamy. I use the upside down method, which I discovered by watching on Google a man who had won a competition. It seemed a bit of a palaver at the time, but it isn't. Occasionally I have found it a little stiff but that is resolved by moistening it with hot water. It will not turn rubbish coffee into a fine brew, but the solution is in your hands. If you are old and arthritic, it is such a pleasure to lean on the plunger, watch it slowly descend, and feel powerful. Recently I went with my family to Barcelona, and if the apartment did not have coffee-making facilities, I was prepared to take my Aeropress. They DID have a filter pot and it was much less satisfactory. I do also have a Nespresso machine and I use either as the mood takes me. I am sure that the coffee I make is less good than I could produce on an elaborate machine costing hundreds, but I am pleased with this. Off to buy my new filter now.

Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker