5.0 out of 5 stars Extra info for buyers plus 4-year 2014 update
Most of the reviews are pretty accurate. Now I have this gadget, I've reluctantly dropped my steel mini-cafetiere but still use my 'smart mug' with plunger at work. But the Aeropress is almost as quick, and better - the coffee is crystal clear (but brown - you know what I mean), no crema, but that doesn't matter too much to me, and tasty.

Here is some...
Published on 29 Aug. 2010 by Cheshire Dave

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but should be made of stainless steel
Excellent coffee as stated by other reviewers. However it's not for long-term use. After a few months the tube becomes progressively more scratched, presumably caused by the abrasive nature of ground coffee. Thinking that this might have been due to a manufacturing fault I complained to the manufacturers and to their credit they replaced it at no cost to me. Unfortunately...
Published 15 months ago by Michael Osullivan

5.0 out of 5 stars Extra info for buyers plus 4-year 2014 update, 29 Aug. 2010
Cheshire Dave (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)

Here is some how-to-use-it info:
[...link deleted by Amazon] Download the instructions from the manufacturer's website for details of how to brew, if you want to check before you buy. But it's quick, and not as complicated as they make it sound - I think there is an online video.

For people collecting greenie points: A year's filters use fewer trees than just ONE newspaper. Plus - you can quickly rinse and reuse the paper filter over and over if you wish - I use mine about 6 times each - such a mean old man...

The Playce I got my Aeropress from (a while ago) INCLUDED 300 filters at a low price - Amazon may be price matching by the time you read this.

Almost self-cleaning, but it's dishwashable if you prefer. VERY heavy-duty, slightly flexible (not brittle) clear plastic. UPDATE - after almost 3 years, this is a tad stained and has very small fissures (nothing bad) near the base and the dishwasher won't bleach it. Not a real prob, though.

Needs quite a bit of slow, sustained downward pressure for 15 seconds or so - weak-wristed ladies may struggle. In the interests of balance, that goes for weak-wristed gentlemen, too. A coarser grind makes things easier, but then your coffee's not as strong and you need even more.
I've just kept on using my usual 'all purpose-grind' coffees (e.g. T.....'s Lazy Sunday, or any supermarket own brands), with no problems re strength - you have to make it strong, then water it down for an 'americano' strength. Finer-ground Italian or filter-grind brands are OK, though, too. After almost 3 years, I've started grinding my own beans but, as it's a bit of a pain, I do a week's worth at a time and keep in a vacuum tin, which probably is self-defeating.

I now never use another gadget or machine to brew coffee. So that's a waste of money on my Bodum steel plunger jugs. Cafetieres leave fine bits (sludge), but this doesn't. It's that good - and I'm usually sceptical of gadget claims. Hope all that helps.

UPDATE - I forgot to say that you can make more than one cup at a time. The side markings on the tube are for espressos, which you, if you wish, dilute to make an Americano. So e.g. for 2 Americanos, make enough coffee for 2 espressos, but plunge into 2 separate mugs (50% into each mug), then dilute as necessary.

UPDATES -
MUCH quicker than the great-looking but hard-to-find Chemex glass jug/wood collar/special filter, which I received as a gift. The Aeropress is 1 minute against 4 minutes with the Chemex for a single mug and its wasteful, single-use, giant filters.
November 2011 - no problems at all. Has been used twice a day for a year. Very slight scratching of the the tube by the plunger, understandably. Plenty of filters left as I make one last for about a week !
September 2012 - still brill.
November 2012. Very slight erosion at the end of the tube. Probably my fault for not ejecting the old coffee plug until the next time I use it, which is 24 hours later, usually. Still works fine, though. If it broke / went missing, I would immediately have to buy another one, and I don't often say that.
Spring 2013 - well, never one to give up, here's more... the latest ones are smoky grey, which should help disguise the slight staining which my Aeropress, now 3 years old, has picked up near the base. Probably my fault for never pressing out the used 'puck' of coffee until next morning. This has also led to the plastic slightly starting to 'corrode' near the base. But I really can't complain. It still works fine, don't be deterred! Birthday soon, and I think I need a new one. I'll keep the current one for holidays and emergency back-up. Because it WILL be an emergency the day they stop making these.
Thanks for the votes, everyone ! This is way more popular than my retro cubic fire review!

April 2014 - all good things must come to an end. A partial end. I couldn't resist buying one of the new tinted grey ones and retiring my 'clear' - but now stained coffee brown - old one. The old one's not TOO bad but, rather like me, it's slightly swelling around the wasitline area and cracking up a bit.
Usable, but I'll keep it as a back-up spare. But all those years for so little money and so much enjoyment? (I'm talking coffee makers; not marriage.) Well worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb coffee at a low price, 22 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I got an AeroPress for my birthday a few months ago and I have to say it is fantastic. In my view it makes beautifully smooth and tasty coffee that is superior to a cafetiere, Moka or cheapish - ie £100-£150 - home espresso machine. For what it's worth, I use a technique explained to me by a barista in an excellent London coffee shop (Prufrock). This has the benefit of using significantly less coffee than you would use when following the instructions and (again in my opinion) makes a better cup of coffee. This is as follows: use 15g of coffee with 230ml of boiled water that has been left to cool for around 30 seconds. Stir for 10 seconds, then leave to stand for 1 minute 50 seconds, before plunging. I was also advised to use filtered water - I've tried this and I think it does improve the smoothness, but perhaps not sufficiently to warrant the extra faff. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that get very technical with timings, temperatures and measures. Much fun to be had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable coffee - literally, 27 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I've had an Aeropress now for a couple of years. We never make coffee any other way. I have literally lost track of how many people I've made coffee for who have gone on to comment on the flavour and ask how it was made.

It does use a fair amount of coffee, but I just buy the beans in Ikea (super cheap) and put them in a grinder (fairly fine grind - cafetiere fine, I would say - espresso grind is too fine). As I say - always gets positive comments from visitors.

My technique is to fill the Aeropress with about 4 scoops of ground coffee, then fill the plunger with cold water to mark "1", top up with boiling water and add to the coffee. (Boiling water makes your coffee bitter, hence the cold water). Press down for 10-15 seconds, over an insulated coffee flask (also from Ikea, in my case), then put the rest of the boiled kettle into the jug. Put the top on and you have great coffee which stays hot for several hours, if you can resist it that long.

I rinse the filters in cold water and reuse them several times so I'm still on my initial pack, and there are loads left.

Super easy to clean - remove the end and push out the coffee "puck" into the compost scraps or bin, then just give it a rinse under the tap.

Probably the most impressive piece of kit I've ever bought, for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I bought it twice..., 3 Mar. 2014
Mr. Paul S. Bird "dagadadagada" (Aylesbury) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
My wife bought me one of these as a birthday present and, I must admit, I was pretty sceptical. It looked like yet another "too good to be true" gadget, especially with a box covered in eager claims that the AeroPress makes coffee better than almost anything else in the world.

How wrong I was. Using some bog-standard and fairly old pre-ground coffee we got from Ikea I made my first cup, not expecting much. I used the method as described in the instructions and found it simple, fast and quite fun. Then I sat back and tasted my work.

Good lord! Now, THAT was a surprise! What had previously been a meh-level brew was transformed into a rich and delicious cup that revealed hidden delights. And this was no fluke - cup after cup turned out amazing results, and using freshly ground high quality beans made the experience even better.

A little browsing and I soon discovered the inverted method. This is now my preferred way of using the AeroPress, as it produces the most silky smooth coffee I've tasted at home. It really makes your coffee beans sing, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

In fact, so good is this little device I've now bought a second one to use at work. For once, the hype is right.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really does work!, 7 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
My son bought this little coffee press for my husband's birthday and I have to say I was very sceptical that it could produce a decent cup of coffee because it seems to fly in the face of everything you think you know about making a good cup of filter coffee. Having placed the little filter into the bottom of the press you add to generous scoops of ground coffee into the chamber. When you realise that you only add about a third of a mug of hot water to this quantity of coffee you start to think that it cannot possibly work. The next step is 10 seconds of stirring before you insert the plunger and then a further 20-30 seconds as you press the plunger slowly down. So, very little time for the coffee to be in contact with the water (30-40 seconds in total). Your mug will now be about a third full of coffee. If you like espresso then that is all you do, if you prefer a latte or an Americano style coffee you simply add recently boiled water to top up. It doesn't seem right but it really does produce a delicious cup of coffee. You might be thinking that your cafetiere can already do all of this but the coffee definitely tastes better and, more importantly, the Aeropress is much easier to clean afterwards. The little 'puck' of pressed coffee grounds simply pushes out in one piece into the bin (or compost) and then you just run the tap over the press itself. You don't even need to dismantle the press because the plunger cleans the inside of the press as you push down. All in all, I really didn't expect the Aeropress to work but it has far exceeded my expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've had one of these for years - still going strong., 27 Jun. 2012
R. Coldbreath (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I have no idea why this is categorised as a "toy".

I bought one of these back in about 2005, and have used nothing but, ever since. Having worked my way through an infuriating array of other coffee makers: the Bialetti Mukka Express (do not buy, unless you like mopping up coffee from under the machine every time you use it, which starts happening after just a couple of weeks of use and then cannot be remedied, even with a new seal); cafetieres, which tend to leave particles in the bottom of the cup with the bonus of the odd stray ground - not to mentioned that if one attempts to use a cafetiere when it is most needed - ie, with a killer hangover, blurry vision, and the motor control of an octopus on amphetamines - it is very easy to get the plunging bit wrong and end up covered in hot water and coffee grounds. I tried drip machines, but they brewed awful, bitter coffee.

I don't have space for a big fancy coffee maker that goes SQUSSSSSSSH!, nor the pocket to afford one, so I thought I'd give this a go. It's a cracking little device! Not only can you make a cup of coffee as easily as a cup of tea, the coffee is very good - no bitterness, no over-brew, no overly hot water. The Aeropress produces no crema at all, but it does produce consistently good coffee. As stated elsewhere in the reviews, don't buy too fine-ground coffee for it unless you want to go a bit red and sweary as you try to push the plunger down. Coffee ground for cafetieres is fine.

When mine dies I will buy another - but several years on from the purchase date and it's still going strong, with no signs of wear. The only running cost is a pack of filters every year or so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portable device - best I've come across yet!, 14 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this as a bit of a gamble, as I needed a way of making decent coffee in work.

Delivery was really quick, and it's arrival coincided with a delivery of a fresh batch of my favourite coffee beans.

My first view was that the device is well made and sturdy, and the process looks pretty simple to do, so I ground some of my favourite beans, followed the instructions and tried the results. One word - awful. However it's not all bad news.

I tried again with a milder coffee (with a rating of 3 on the strength scales - rather than off the scale for my usual beans) and I was immediately delighted.

The results are so much better than any other method that doesn't involve and espresso pump! In fact, I have been drinking coffee made with it all day, rather than using my espresso pump.

Despite the claims on the packet, it doesn't produce espresso - not as I like to drink it anyway - no crema layer at all, and as I said using my favourite espresso roast, it makes quite a bitter drink that lacks any depth of flavour. However, as a replacement for a cafetiere or a percolator it's simply brilliant.

I am also really impressed with how clean it is - in work, we have been berated for blocking the sinks with coffee grounds from a cafetiere, but with this, you are left with a softly compressed disc of coffee grounds that can be easily ejected into the bin, a quick rinse and you are ready to go again.

In short I'm delighted with it, if somewhat surprised to have to use milder coffee that I would normally. For a portable device it's really good, and I don't think you can quibble at the price - it's worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't get better for the money!, 18 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I first heard about the Aeropress several years back and actually bought it on a trip to New York when prices here were MUCH higher than they are now. It's interesting to read how this company have made a habit of looking at established products, stripping them down to find what makes them work and then re-inventing them.

What the Aeropress produces is a very smooth, flavoursome cup of coffee with very little bitterness. At the risk of sounding disparaging the coffee could be described as inoffensive; I say this because many friends of mine who are not big coffee drinkers have loved the coffee that it produces and several have gone on to buy one for themselves. The reason why it works so well is that all the coffee grinds get a rapid, full and equal saturation unlike, say, filter/drip coffee machines that tend to over-saturate the grind directly under the water spout and under-saturate the grind to the side. I'm sure that the filter paper plays a part in this also, as well as (allegedly) reducing the cholesterol.

The attention to detail in the product is very good. You get a funnel so that you can pour in the coffee grind without it spilling over the work-top (though I rarely bother with it) and a stirrer that is so designed that it will just hover above the filter paper and so wont damage it. I was concerned that the the rubber bung that is essential to maintain the pressure during plunging might prove to be a point of weakness but there is no sign of wear and tear after three and a half years of constant use and it does the job as well now as it did when I first bought it.

Cleaning it is a doddle: I simply plunge the spent grind in the bin or composter and rinse under the tap.

I have given five stars but it is not the answer to all your coffee needs: it is not suitable for making coffee for more than three or four at a time. The instructions suggest that you should make a small amount of very strong (espresso-strength) coffee and then divide into several cups and dilute with hot water to produce Americanos. I really can't be bothered with all that and simply serve full-strength, full-volume mugs of coffee; but doing that for more than a couple of people at a time is tiresome so dinner guests get the French Press.

This is a safe purchase that you will use again and again. I strongly and enthusiastically recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great everyday coffee, 29 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I've had this for 9 months now and have reached the stage at which I take this with me when I travel (holidays, conferences, in-laws etc.) I'm even leaving filters at relatives houses. I drink 3-4 cups a day and this is so good it has spoiled me for other types of coffee.

Why? Well for a start, the consistency of flavour is great. I haven't had a bad cup since I bought it. The coffee is rich and full and unlike a cafetiere you never get a watery, washed-out cuppa - and you don't get grinds in your drink. Individual cups aren't as tasty as stove-pot espresso, but the Aeropress takes about 20-30 seconds to use. Considering the taste difference is negligible I prefer using this. My only warning would be that regular ground coffee can taste a little flat and you should be putting espresso grind in here. I find Lavazza Rosso or Sainsbury's fairtrade organic are great to drink with this. You also don't get through filters too quickly, I order a pack once every 3-4 months.

In short, wonderful, wonderful coffee. There are some who lament this isn't "romantic", but I like to drink my coffee, not date it.

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I ordered two!, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this based on reviews, I love reviews because I trust what people say hence me returning the favour here. This literally makes the nicest coffee i've ever brewed at home, I'd even pit it against some of the nicest coffee shops i've been to too.

I originally ordered one for use at work as I already had a cafetiere at home. However, my girlfriend dropped it and broke it the other day; at first I thought "you idiot" but secretly inside I was happy, because I knew what I was going to buy to replace it. Just placed another order now!

Seriously if you like coffee, you need to get one of these, so quick to use and quick to clean it makes no sense NOT to get one!

Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker