5.0 out of 5 stars Extra info for buyers plus Year 4 update
Most of the reviews are pretty accurate. Now I have this gadget, I've reluctantly dropped my steel mini-cafetiere but still use my 'smart mug' with plunger at work. But the Aeropress is almost as quick, and better - the coffee is crystal clear (but brown - you know what I mean), no crema, but that doesn't matter too much to me, and tasty.

Here is some...
Published on 29 Aug 2010 by Cheshire Dave

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but should be made of stainless steel
Excellent coffee as stated by other reviewers. However it's not for long-term use. After a few months the tube becomes progressively more scratched, presumably caused by the abrasive nature of ground coffee. Thinking that this might have been due to a manufacturing fault I complained to the manufacturers and to their credit they replaced it at no cost to me. Unfortunately...
Published 4 months ago by Michael Osullivan

5.0 out of 5 stars Extra info for buyers plus Year 4 update, 29 Aug 2010
Cheshire Dave (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)

Here is some how-to-use-it info:
[...link deleted by Amazon] Download the instructions from the manufacturer's website for details of how to brew, if you want to check before you buy. But it's quick, and not as complicated as they make it sound - I think there is an online video.

For people collecting greenie points: A year's filters use fewer trees than just ONE newspaper. Plus - you can quickly rinse and reuse the paper filter over and over if you wish - I use mine about 6 times each - such a mean old man...

The Playce I got my Aeropress from (a while ago) INCLUDED 300 filters at a low price - Amazon may be price matching by the time you read this.

Almost self-cleaning, but it's dishwashable if you prefer. VERY heavy-duty, slightly flexible (not brittle) clear plastic. UPDATE - after almost 3 years, this is a tad stained and has very small fissures (nothing bad) near the base and the dishwasher won't bleach it. Not a real prob, though.

Needs quite a bit of slow, sustained downward pressure for 15 seconds or so - weak-wristed ladies may struggle. In the interests of balance, that goes for weak-wristed gentlemen, too. A coarser grind makes things easier, but then your coffee's not as strong and you need even more.
I've just kept on using my usual 'all purpose-grind' coffees (e.g. T.....'s Lazy Sunday, or any supermarket own brands), with no problems re strength - you have to make it strong, then water it down for an 'americano' strength. Finer-ground Italian or filter-grind brands are OK, though, too. After almost 3 years, I've started grinding my own beans but, as it's a bit of a pain, I do a week's worth at a time and keep in a vacuum tin, which probably is self-defeating.

I now never use another gadget or machine to brew coffee. So that's a waste of money on my Bodum steel plunger jugs. Cafetieres leave fine bits (sludge), but this doesn't. It's that good - and I'm usually sceptical of gadget claims. Hope all that helps.

UPDATE - I forgot to say that you can make more than one cup at a time. The side markings on the tube are for espressos, which you, if you wish, dilute to make an Americano. So e.g. for 2 Americanos, make enough coffee for 2 espressos, but plunge into 2 separate mugs (50% into each mug), then dilute as necessary.

UPDATES -
MUCH quicker than the great-looking but hard-to-find Chemex glass jug/wood collar/special filter, which I received as a gift. The Aeropress is 1 minute against 4 minutes with the Chemex for a single mug and its wasteful, single-use, giant filters.
November 2011 - no problems at all. Has been used twice a day for a year. Very slight scratching of the the tube by the plunger, understandably. Plenty of filters left as I make one last for about a week !
September 2012 - still brill.
November 2012. Very slight erosion at the end of the tube. Probably my fault for not ejecting the old coffee plug until the next time I use it, which is 24 hours later, usually. Still works fine, though. If it broke / went missing, I would immediately have to buy another one, and I don't often say that.
Spring 2013 - well, never one to give up, here's more... the latest ones are smoky grey, which should help disguise the slight staining which my Aeropress, now 3 years old, has picked up near the base. Probably my fault for never pressing out the used 'puck' of coffee until next morning. This has also led to the plastic slightly starting to 'corrode' near the base. But I really can't complain. It still works fine, don't be deterred! Birthday soon, and I think I need a new one. I'll keep the current one for holidays and emergency back-up. Because it WILL be an emergency the day they stop making these.
Thanks for the votes, everyone ! This is way more popular than my retro cubic fire review!

April 2014 - all good things must come to an end. A partial end. I couldn't resist buying one of the new tinted grey ones and retiring my 'clear' - but now stained coffee brown - old one. The old one's not TOO bad but, rather like me, it's slightly swelling around the wasitline area and cracking up a bit.
Usable, but I'll keep it as a back-up spare. But all those years for so little money and so much enjoyment? (I'm talking coffee makers; not marriage.) Well worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb coffee at a low price, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I got an AeroPress for my birthday a few months ago and I have to say it is fantastic. In my view it makes beautifully smooth and tasty coffee that is superior to a cafetiere, Moka or cheapish - ie 100-150 - home espresso machine. For what it's worth, I use a technique explained to me by a barista in an excellent London coffee shop (Prufrock). This has the benefit of using significantly less coffee than you would use when following the instructions and (again in my opinion) makes a better cup of coffee. This is as follows: use 15g of coffee with 230ml of boiled water that has been left to cool for around 30 seconds. Stir for 10 seconds, then leave to stand for 1 minute 50 seconds, before plunging. I was also advised to use filtered water - I've tried this and I think it does improve the smoothness, but perhaps not sufficiently to warrant the extra faff. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that get very technical with timings, temperatures and measures. Much fun to be had.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't get better for the money!, 18 Nov 2010
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I first heard about the Aeropress several years back and actually bought it on a trip to New York when prices here were MUCH higher than they are now. It's interesting to read how this company have made a habit of looking at established products, stripping them down to find what makes them work and then re-inventing them.

What the Aeropress produces is a very smooth, flavoursome cup of coffee with very little bitterness. At the risk of sounding disparaging the coffee could be described as inoffensive; I say this because many friends of mine who are not big coffee drinkers have loved the coffee that it produces and several have gone on to buy one for themselves. The reason why it works so well is that all the coffee grinds get a rapid, full and equal saturation unlike, say, filter/drip coffee machines that tend to over-saturate the grind directly under the water spout and under-saturate the grind to the side. I'm sure that the filter paper plays a part in this also, as well as (allegedly) reducing the cholesterol.

The attention to detail in the product is very good. You get a funnel so that you can pour in the coffee grind without it spilling over the work-top (though I rarely bother with it) and a stirrer that is so designed that it will just hover above the filter paper and so wont damage it. I was concerned that the the rubber bung that is essential to maintain the pressure during plunging might prove to be a point of weakness but there is no sign of wear and tear after three and a half years of constant use and it does the job as well now as it did when I first bought it.

Cleaning it is a doddle: I simply plunge the spent grind in the bin or composter and rinse under the tap.

I have given five stars but it is not the answer to all your coffee needs: it is not suitable for making coffee for more than three or four at a time. The instructions suggest that you should make a small amount of very strong (espresso-strength) coffee and then divide into several cups and dilute with hot water to produce Americanos. I really can't be bothered with all that and simply serve full-strength, full-volume mugs of coffee; but doing that for more than a couple of people at a time is tiresome so dinner guests get the French Press.

This is a safe purchase that you will use again and again. I strongly and enthusiastically recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really, really good., 4 May 2014
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
Spent ages agonising over the possibility of spending hundreds on an expensive coffee machine and in the end thought I'd give this a go as the local self-roasting hipster coffee shop (I thought surprisingly) rates it.

Easy to use, liking the iPhone app as well. I grind aforementioned hipster beans, put in the right amount with the right amount of water and get an almost treacly strong espresso which has absolutely no bits in it. No crema though. If you top it up with boiling water in a coffee mug you'll get a much stronger cup of coffee than you'd normally expect from the same volume of coffee in a cafetiere. Or you can top it up with milk for a latte sort of thing. Or just drink it straight from a posh little cup.

I find that if I've had 2 or 3 in a day I start to feel like I've done a shed load of class A's and have to wind it back for a few days. This is the only downside.

Incidentally, by far the nicest beans I've tried, and I've tried a lot, are the in-house espresso blend from the coffee geeks at Beanzz in Eastbourne. They'll post them to you if you're lucky enough not to live in Eastbourne.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great espresso...!!!, 25 April 2012
ssdd (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
OMG. Now i make espresso everywhere! I use it at home and at work all the time. I can use any king of coffee i like. It's even great for holidays when you are away from home. ECO friendly too!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Aeropress is the real deal, 21 Mar 2010
M. White "Nano junky" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
When I seen the aeropress I thought "yeah, right?". Then I read the reviews and read other reviews as well and thought "All these people can't be wrong". Then I purchased it, it arrived and I approached my first cup of coffee with some scepticism. I am happy to say I was wrong. The coffee is fantastic with a wonderfully rich flavour (though obviously you need to use decent coffee - doesn't matter how much you polish a turd, and all that).
I was impressed on a lot of levels.
Number one is the quality of the final coffee, which is some of the best I have ever tasted.
Number two is how easy it makes cleaning up. You literally push a solid disc of coffee grounds into the bin and rinse the end of the device - job done that is it
Number three is the quality of the materials used. They could have used cheap plastic but what they have used feels solid and robust. This is not going to break the second, third or hundredth time you use it.
I would recommend the Aeropress to anyone I know and am considering a second one already for the office.
Buy it you won't regret it (unless you also own a 200 coffee machine and you will be kicking yourself)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift for coffee lovers, 1 Jan 2010
R. McCarthy - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
This is totally unlike any other coffee maker I've ever come across. It's quicker and easier than a cafetiere or percollater, and a lot less trouble to clean. Definitely the thing to go for if you like espresso and don't want to pay thousands of pounds for a decent espresso machine! And you can always top up with hot water or milk to make a big cup.

It maybe uses slightly more coffee each time than you would with another type of coffee maker. But definitely worth it for the taste - very smooth, and not bitter or too strong as long as you don't use water that's too close to boiling temperature.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but overhyped, 26 July 2008
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I got this in an attempt to have nice coffee at work. I can definitely do that, a smooth, aromatic cup, beats the average drip machine. What it doesn't do is make Espresso. It's nowhere near it, crema is non-existent, and the brew is not in the same category. So as long as you don't believe the "makes better espresso than machines that cost 20 times as much" blurb, you get a small, easy to use and easy to clean gadget for a good old plain cup of coffee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daily use, 15 May 2014
G. Blackwell (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
What a marvellous invention. I use it daily.
It does look a little like something Austin Powers would use, for 'personal development' but if you use it for what it is intended for, ie making coffee, its fab.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love Coffee - get one, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
If you're a coffee lover and you don't have one of these, get one now!!!

Firstly don't follow the instructions enclosed, use the inverted method... you can find on youtube but basically, turn the item upside down and and fill with water that you've let stand for a couple of minutes ... stir for 10 seconds and then let stand for a minute... put the top on... and turn over put on cup and press.

Use only freshly ground coffee... get a grinder, don't buy pre ground coffee, that's like someone buying beer and opening it on day of purchase and leaving in the fridge... grind on the day you need.

Papers or mesh filters... I've tried both, it really depends on the coffee and the grind.

Play with the grind, it should be a little coarse and not fine like espresso grinds but not too coarse - but of course, like all things with coffee is to do with taste...

You can buy a cheap hand grinder and beans... you can then take your coffee anywhere...

This is the best thing that happened to me with coffee... I tried so many stupid expensive machines, drip filters... you name it.

I have one of these now at work and one at home... The only problem is when you go into a coffee shop, you might raise an eyebrow now at their poor coffee standards :)

Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker