5.0 out of 5 stars Extra info for buyers plus 4-year 2014 update
Most of the reviews are pretty accurate. Now I have this gadget, I've reluctantly dropped my steel mini-cafetiere but still use my 'smart mug' with plunger at work. But the Aeropress is almost as quick, and better - the coffee is crystal clear (but brown - you know what I mean), no crema, but that doesn't matter too much to me, and tasty.

Here is some...
Published on 29 Aug. 2010 by Cheshire Dave

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
2.0 out of 5 stars Good but should be made of stainless steel
Excellent coffee as stated by other reviewers. However it's not for long-term use. After a few months the tube becomes progressively more scratched, presumably caused by the abrasive nature of ground coffee. Thinking that this might have been due to a manufacturing fault I complained to the manufacturers and to their credit they replaced it at no cost to me. Unfortunately...
Published 14 months ago by Michael Osullivan

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Extra info for buyers plus 4-year 2014 update, 29 Aug. 2010
Cheshire Dave (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)

Here is some how-to-use-it info:
[...link deleted by Amazon] Download the instructions from the manufacturer's website for details of how to brew, if you want to check before you buy. But it's quick, and not as complicated as they make it sound - I think there is an online video.

For people collecting greenie points: A year's filters use fewer trees than just ONE newspaper. Plus - you can quickly rinse and reuse the paper filter over and over if you wish - I use mine about 6 times each - such a mean old man...

The Playce I got my Aeropress from (a while ago) INCLUDED 300 filters at a low price - Amazon may be price matching by the time you read this.

Almost self-cleaning, but it's dishwashable if you prefer. VERY heavy-duty, slightly flexible (not brittle) clear plastic. UPDATE - after almost 3 years, this is a tad stained and has very small fissures (nothing bad) near the base and the dishwasher won't bleach it. Not a real prob, though.

Needs quite a bit of slow, sustained downward pressure for 15 seconds or so - weak-wristed ladies may struggle. In the interests of balance, that goes for weak-wristed gentlemen, too. A coarser grind makes things easier, but then your coffee's not as strong and you need even more.
I've just kept on using my usual 'all purpose-grind' coffees (e.g. T.....'s Lazy Sunday, or any supermarket own brands), with no problems re strength - you have to make it strong, then water it down for an 'americano' strength. Finer-ground Italian or filter-grind brands are OK, though, too. After almost 3 years, I've started grinding my own beans but, as it's a bit of a pain, I do a week's worth at a time and keep in a vacuum tin, which probably is self-defeating.

I now never use another gadget or machine to brew coffee. So that's a waste of money on my Bodum steel plunger jugs. Cafetieres leave fine bits (sludge), but this doesn't. It's that good - and I'm usually sceptical of gadget claims. Hope all that helps.

UPDATE - I forgot to say that you can make more than one cup at a time. The side markings on the tube are for espressos, which you, if you wish, dilute to make an Americano. So e.g. for 2 Americanos, make enough coffee for 2 espressos, but plunge into 2 separate mugs (50% into each mug), then dilute as necessary.

UPDATES -
MUCH quicker than the great-looking but hard-to-find Chemex glass jug/wood collar/special filter, which I received as a gift. The Aeropress is 1 minute against 4 minutes with the Chemex for a single mug and its wasteful, single-use, giant filters.
November 2011 - no problems at all. Has been used twice a day for a year. Very slight scratching of the the tube by the plunger, understandably. Plenty of filters left as I make one last for about a week !
September 2012 - still brill.
November 2012. Very slight erosion at the end of the tube. Probably my fault for not ejecting the old coffee plug until the next time I use it, which is 24 hours later, usually. Still works fine, though. If it broke / went missing, I would immediately have to buy another one, and I don't often say that.
Spring 2013 - well, never one to give up, here's more... the latest ones are smoky grey, which should help disguise the slight staining which my Aeropress, now 3 years old, has picked up near the base. Probably my fault for never pressing out the used 'puck' of coffee until next morning. This has also led to the plastic slightly starting to 'corrode' near the base. But I really can't complain. It still works fine, don't be deterred! Birthday soon, and I think I need a new one. I'll keep the current one for holidays and emergency back-up. Because it WILL be an emergency the day they stop making these.
Thanks for the votes, everyone ! This is way more popular than my retro cubic fire review!

April 2014 - all good things must come to an end. A partial end. I couldn't resist buying one of the new tinted grey ones and retiring my 'clear' - but now stained coffee brown - old one. The old one's not TOO bad but, rather like me, it's slightly swelling around the wasitline area and cracking up a bit.
Usable, but I'll keep it as a back-up spare. But all those years for so little money and so much enjoyment? (I'm talking coffee makers; not marriage.) Well worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb coffee at a low price, 22 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I got an AeroPress for my birthday a few months ago and I have to say it is fantastic. In my view it makes beautifully smooth and tasty coffee that is superior to a cafetiere, Moka or cheapish - ie £100-£150 - home espresso machine. For what it's worth, I use a technique explained to me by a barista in an excellent London coffee shop (Prufrock). This has the benefit of using significantly less coffee than you would use when following the instructions and (again in my opinion) makes a better cup of coffee. This is as follows: use 15g of coffee with 230ml of boiled water that has been left to cool for around 30 seconds. Stir for 10 seconds, then leave to stand for 1 minute 50 seconds, before plunging. I was also advised to use filtered water - I've tried this and I think it does improve the smoothness, but perhaps not sufficiently to warrant the extra faff. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that get very technical with timings, temperatures and measures. Much fun to be had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable coffee - literally, 27 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I've had an Aeropress now for a couple of years. We never make coffee any other way. I have literally lost track of how many people I've made coffee for who have gone on to comment on the flavour and ask how it was made.

It does use a fair amount of coffee, but I just buy the beans in Ikea (super cheap) and put them in a grinder (fairly fine grind - cafetiere fine, I would say - espresso grind is too fine). As I say - always gets positive comments from visitors.

My technique is to fill the Aeropress with about 4 scoops of ground coffee, then fill the plunger with cold water to mark "1", top up with boiling water and add to the coffee. (Boiling water makes your coffee bitter, hence the cold water). Press down for 10-15 seconds, over an insulated coffee flask (also from Ikea, in my case), then put the rest of the boiled kettle into the jug. Put the top on and you have great coffee which stays hot for several hours, if you can resist it that long.

I rinse the filters in cold water and reuse them several times so I'm still on my initial pack, and there are loads left.

Super easy to clean - remove the end and push out the coffee "puck" into the compost scraps or bin, then just give it a rinse under the tap.

Probably the most impressive piece of kit I've ever bought, for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't get better for the money!, 18 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I first heard about the Aeropress several years back and actually bought it on a trip to New York when prices here were MUCH higher than they are now. It's interesting to read how this company have made a habit of looking at established products, stripping them down to find what makes them work and then re-inventing them.

What the Aeropress produces is a very smooth, flavoursome cup of coffee with very little bitterness. At the risk of sounding disparaging the coffee could be described as inoffensive; I say this because many friends of mine who are not big coffee drinkers have loved the coffee that it produces and several have gone on to buy one for themselves. The reason why it works so well is that all the coffee grinds get a rapid, full and equal saturation unlike, say, filter/drip coffee machines that tend to over-saturate the grind directly under the water spout and under-saturate the grind to the side. I'm sure that the filter paper plays a part in this also, as well as (allegedly) reducing the cholesterol.

The attention to detail in the product is very good. You get a funnel so that you can pour in the coffee grind without it spilling over the work-top (though I rarely bother with it) and a stirrer that is so designed that it will just hover above the filter paper and so wont damage it. I was concerned that the the rubber bung that is essential to maintain the pressure during plunging might prove to be a point of weakness but there is no sign of wear and tear after three and a half years of constant use and it does the job as well now as it did when I first bought it.

Cleaning it is a doddle: I simply plunge the spent grind in the bin or composter and rinse under the tap.

I have given five stars but it is not the answer to all your coffee needs: it is not suitable for making coffee for more than three or four at a time. The instructions suggest that you should make a small amount of very strong (espresso-strength) coffee and then divide into several cups and dilute with hot water to produce Americanos. I really can't be bothered with all that and simply serve full-strength, full-volume mugs of coffee; but doing that for more than a couple of people at a time is tiresome so dinner guests get the French Press.

This is a safe purchase that you will use again and again. I strongly and enthusiastically recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portable device - best I've come across yet!, 14 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this as a bit of a gamble, as I needed a way of making decent coffee in work.

Delivery was really quick, and it's arrival coincided with a delivery of a fresh batch of my favourite coffee beans.

My first view was that the device is well made and sturdy, and the process looks pretty simple to do, so I ground some of my favourite beans, followed the instructions and tried the results. One word - awful. However it's not all bad news.

I tried again with a milder coffee (with a rating of 3 on the strength scales - rather than off the scale for my usual beans) and I was immediately delighted.

The results are so much better than any other method that doesn't involve and espresso pump! In fact, I have been drinking coffee made with it all day, rather than using my espresso pump.

Despite the claims on the packet, it doesn't produce espresso - not as I like to drink it anyway - no crema layer at all, and as I said using my favourite espresso roast, it makes quite a bitter drink that lacks any depth of flavour. However, as a replacement for a cafetiere or a percolator it's simply brilliant.

I am also really impressed with how clean it is - in work, we have been berated for blocking the sinks with coffee grounds from a cafetiere, but with this, you are left with a softly compressed disc of coffee grounds that can be easily ejected into the bin, a quick rinse and you are ready to go again.

In short I'm delighted with it, if somewhat surprised to have to use milder coffee that I would normally. For a portable device it's really good, and I don't think you can quibble at the price - it's worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars 18 months and still a love affair, 25 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I have had this for 18 months now and (I think) I could make the coffee dreamily at 6 am with my eyes shut. I admit to a couple of mishaps: once I pushed the plunger right down the wrong way and the "not yet" coffee went everywhere. Once I did not fit the filter cap properly and got another messy cascade. I did have a fine steel filter but must have thrown it away, so I am going to get another and try be less dreamy. I use the upside down method, which I discovered by watching on Google a man who had won a competition. It seemed a bit of a palaver at the time, but it isn't. Occasionally I have found it a little stiff but that is resolved by moistening it with hot water. It will not turn rubbish coffee into a fine brew, but the solution is in your hands. If you are old and arthritic, it is such a pleasure to lean on the plunger, watch it slowly descend, and feel powerful. Recently I went with my family to Barcelona, and if the apartment did not have coffee-making facilities, I was prepared to take my Aeropress. They DID have a filter pot and it was much less satisfactory. I do also have a Nespresso machine and I use either as the mood takes me. I am sure that the coffee I make is less good than I could produce on an elaborate machine costing hundreds, but I am pleased with this. Off to buy my new filter now.

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I bought it twice..., 3 Mar. 2014
Mr. Paul S. Bird "dagadadagada" (Aylesbury) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
My wife bought me one of these as a birthday present and, I must admit, I was pretty sceptical. It looked like yet another "too good to be true" gadget, especially with a box covered in eager claims that the AeroPress makes coffee better than almost anything else in the world.

How wrong I was. Using some bog-standard and fairly old pre-ground coffee we got from Ikea I made my first cup, not expecting much. I used the method as described in the instructions and found it simple, fast and quite fun. Then I sat back and tasted my work.

Good lord! Now, THAT was a surprise! What had previously been a meh-level brew was transformed into a rich and delicious cup that revealed hidden delights. And this was no fluke - cup after cup turned out amazing results, and using freshly ground high quality beans made the experience even better.

A little browsing and I soon discovered the inverted method. This is now my preferred way of using the AeroPress, as it produces the most silky smooth coffee I've tasted at home. It really makes your coffee beans sing, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

In fact, so good is this little device I've now bought a second one to use at work. For once, the hype is right.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you think this makes espresso ..., 23 May 2014
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
... you don't know what espresso is.

The blurb and some reviews here say this clever little beast makes espresso as well as an expensive espresso maker. I own a mid price espresso machine, and the coffee from that is way better than the coffee I get from this. If your results are different, learn how to use your espresso machine properly.

The AeroPress doesn't really make espresso. I can't manage to get a crema - there are stories about using more filters, finer ground coffee (I've tried very fine ground), faster plunger speeds. Nope. Either can't be done, or is such a faff it destroys the AeroPress's chief advantages - speed and simplicity.

But I've given this 4 stars? Let's be clear - it makes great short, strong black coffee. As an office pick-me-up, in the sort of place I work where there isn't some expensive subsidised espresso maker, just a kettle, it's a god send. And that coffee is better than the "espresso" served in some high street chains. (Take a bow - you know who you are. And no, I don't want milk in my "expresso" thanks.) It's saved me money as I don't need to sneak out for a coffee fix.

It's good coffee. Just no espresso.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not quite life-changing. But almost., 26 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this coffee maker having read the reviews and being slightly sceptical about whether it could be as good as it was said at this price. I've spent most of the summer traveling and living out of hotel rooms. As I I was unwilling to pay exorbitant prices for bad coffee, and with an expresso maching being impractical, opted for the Aeropress.

I have to say that I wasn't disappointed. Once you get used to the technique (check out Youtube for excellent tutorials on how to use it upside down, for example), the Aeropress yields impressive results. Espresso style coffee is rich and fully flavoured, and if you follow the instructions properly, it has none of the bitterness that you often get from commercially produced coffee--even from the best known high street retailers. In fact, I was surprised to find just how closely a really smooth espresso tastes almost like rich hot chocolate.

There is no going back. I now prefer Aeropress coffee to the French press or coffee produced from a commerial or doestic coffee maker of any kind. One last point: you will find metal filters on sale to replace the paper ones that come with the Aeropress. I haven't tried them, because--in the end--the paper ones work out at about only a penny each anyway. But, more importantly, the great benefit of the paper filters is that you can eject them with the "puck" of coffee grounds, straight into a bin. This significantly reduces any hassle of rinsing and cleaning the Aeropress once you coffee is in it's cup.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Aeropress is the real deal, 21 Mar. 2010
M. White "Nano junky" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
When I seen the aeropress I thought "yeah, right?". Then I read the reviews and read other reviews as well and thought "All these people can't be wrong". Then I purchased it, it arrived and I approached my first cup of coffee with some scepticism. I am happy to say I was wrong. The coffee is fantastic with a wonderfully rich flavour (though obviously you need to use decent coffee - doesn't matter how much you polish a turd, and all that).
I was impressed on a lot of levels.
Number one is the quality of the final coffee, which is some of the best I have ever tasted.
Number two is how easy it makes cleaning up. You literally push a solid disc of coffee grounds into the bin and rinse the end of the device - job done that is it
Number three is the quality of the materials used. They could have used cheap plastic but what they have used feels solid and robust. This is not going to break the second, third or hundredth time you use it.
I would recommend the Aeropress to anyone I know and am considering a second one already for the office.
Buy it you won't regret it (unless you also own a £200 coffee machine and you will be kicking yourself)