5.0 out of 5 stars Retro Toy - That's Better Than I Ever Remember!
Santa brought this for my 2 1/2 year old son and he absolutely loves it. I remember this product, or at least something very similar, from the '80s. As my son in penguin crazy we decided to go for it.

Published on 7 Jan. 2010 by Kelly A. Maguire

3.0 out of 5 stars Do You Love Your Sanity Or Children's Play More?
This is a fun little toy for your kids, i had when i was a kid in the 80's and my 3 year old has one now.

Its made from ok materials, not the best but it doesnt break 10 mins after opening,

Takes 1 D battery and last for ages, 3 weeks in and still going strong (sob)

The penguin climbs the stairs then slides back to the bottom and repeats...
Published on 16 Jan. 2012 by S. J. Lowe

5.0 out of 5 stars Retro Toy - That's Better Than I Ever Remember!, 7 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Penguin Race (Toy)

So far it has been used every day since Christmas (13 days), sometimes left on for 15 - 20 mins at a time and is still going strong on the original battery. The 3 penguins can be left to climb the stairs and slide down the chute for as long as you like, or you can lift them on and off too.

I only have one complaint - the noise! It would be a better product (or at least a little more parent friendly) if the speaker could be switched off. The constant penguin "squeaks" do drive you crazy very quickly - but it doesn't seem to bother my son.

Good value and great fun - I recommend it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Do You Love Your Sanity Or Children's Play More?, 16 Jan. 2012
S. J. Lowe (PEMBROKE DOCK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Penguin Race (Toy)

Takes 1 D battery and last for ages, 3 weeks in and still going strong (sob)

The penguin climbs the stairs then slides back to the bottom and repeats over and over and over and over but here is the fun bit, some Chinese product designer decided to makes this particular penguin race product with a squeaking penguin noise, well it just squeaks and squeaks and squeaks for ever the battery wont die! for the love of god, someone help me, i have been listening to squeaks for weeks, i don't have the heart to turn it off as my little boy loves this toy more than me! and its always on,,,,,,

squeak squeak squeak!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab retro toy, 10 Dec. 2011
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Penguin Race (Toy)
The toy is chiefly made of plastic. It's easy to set up - a few pieces of track to put into place, and three little penguins (one black, one blue, one red) that need to be added with a fairly steady hand. The build quality is decent enough and if looked after this set can last 20 years plus (It's a retro re-release. My brother's lasted that long in good condition... and might even have worked if he'd taken the battery out before putting it in my parents' loft!). It might not seem very interesting to grown ups - penguins climb battery operated stairs then slide down a ramp courtesy of an integrated wheel in the base of each - but this was one of the best-loved toys of my childhood, and the kids at my family's nursery seem to love it too.

Unlike other toys from my childhood, this wasn't released with a massive retro toy push as e.g. the (heavily modified!) Fisher-Price Chatterphone featured in Toy Story 3; nor has it been a toy that has simply continued in production for many years. Instead, having not seen one since I was small, this caught my eye from a shop window in my local arcade. My brothers owned versions of this toy about 25 years ago, and this year it has been re-released... in perfect time to become a gift for my nephew! Can't wait to hear the excitement from both my nephew AND my brother - as the latter finds himself with a moving penguin toy and the former realises that his son has an exact replica of HIS toy.

This is one of the most faithful re-released toys I have seen, with almost everything (penguins, track, flags, decals) exactly as we remember the 1980s version. Right down to running on one D battery (not included!!!). The sign at the top seems to be the big difference on this version.

5.0 out of 5 stars great fun, 5 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Penguin Race (Toy)
This is great toy. Simple but great nevertheless .The little penguins race around the track and climb the elevator before sliding down to the bottom again. It's mesmerising for little ones and they love it. It's quite retro and harks back to a time when life was less complicated and sometimes it was possible to enjoy something because it gave you pleasure. Very robust too, which helps. Buy it for yourself !

5.0 out of 5 stars P-P-P PICK THIS PENGUIN FUN!, 3 Oct. 2012
Paul (Pembrokeshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Length:: 0:54 Mins

As others have said this a toy that has been around in form or another for over 40 years. I remember it being a roller coaster and I also remember being mesmerised by it's perpetual motion. I'm pretty certain that this toy was responsible for my technical interests later in life!)

Well, even though its now penguins it will still transfix your young ones. There are only a couple of niggles: the construction is not fantastic but will last if children are kept in check and it makes a constant squeak with every cycle upwards that could annoy some people. I have uploaded a video so that you can see how it works and hear the squeak (I tried to remove the squeak but failed as I thought I might break the toy and did not want to force it). You will see in the video that the penguins can stop and I found this was due to the toy not being level or a tiny bit of grit on the slide. I rectified it by spraying a little bit of WD40 WD40 W/D450 - WD-40 450ml Aerosol on a cloth and rubbing the slide track to give it a bit more whizz. I also gave the penguin wheels a slight rub with the cloth too. Tech problem fixed

Still, my daughter loves it and that's what counts, right?!

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap knock off, 24 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Penguin Race (Toy)
This is not what I ordered. It is a cheap Chinese version which doesn't even look like the picture. Its going back.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the 'original' at all, but still good fun!, 3 Jan. 2014
Length:: 0:19 Mins

Well, I nearly sent this back before even opening it, as it is not the one I ordered. It does not say 'Schylling' anywhere on it and it looks different, slightly. However, it was only cheap, my son bought it with his own money and he really really wanted it, so we set it up. I was dreading the noise, as another reviewer posted a video of it making a horrible 'chirping' squeak, but this plays music, which is annoying and repetetive but not quite as suicide inducing (yet). The flashing lights are cheerful... the kids love it (so far, only had it an hour, we will see how long it lasts!)
Not sure how well made it is, but the penguins all go around really well, it's effective and fun and after posting the video on facebook, several of my friends want one too!

Still not happy about it being a fake though... (oh, and the sign at the top says 'Runing go!' - spelling mistake!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Penguin Race Game, 7 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Penguin Race (Toy)
My little boy loves this game...Penguins are his favourite animal and he loves to watch them go round and round. Toy was packaged well. Can be a bit flimsy, but overall very good buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay..., 28 May 2014
This review is from: Penguin Race (Toy)
My little boy loved it and reminds me of when I had one when I was little which was the reasoning behind buying it. The colours on this picture is wrong and the picture on the box that it comes in has to wrong colours placed on it, I found this out after an hour of trying to connect the same colours as the box but noticed they didn't work out that way.

The only other thing is that it there is music and it is very, very loud tto the point that after a while I turn it off because it is annoying, so I would recommend buying either blu tack or tape to put over the speaker to muffle the noise.

Other than those negative things once you have it all connected and muffled it is actually great to keep little ones occupied, did come quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loves it!, 8 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Penguin Race (Toy)
My boy loves it and im so pleased as my siblings and I adored this toy as children too! It hasnt lost its mesmerising affect despite not doing much more than going up the stairs and down the slide you cant take your eyes of those cute little penguins!

Penguin Race