5.0 out of 5 stars No worries
Have been cutting my own hair with clippers for 9 years now; up to now I used conventional Remington clippers.

I always managed to leave a clump of hair somewhere, which was always annoying.

Published on 26 Feb 2007 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't cut short enough
Quite simply, the blades do not allow you to cut your hair less than 5mm, unless you want it shaved. It may say 3mm on the dial, but the design means another 2mm is added.

Published on 15 Jan 2009 by W. Hodge

5.0 out of 5 stars No worries, 26 Feb 2007
This review is from: Philips QC5170 Hairclipper (Personal Care)

I always managed to leave a clump of hair somewhere, which was always annoying.

I ordered these last week as they were even cheaper than eBay (25 at time of buying). Was put off by the other guy's feedback, but researched elsewhere and he's in the minority.

The are pefectly sturdy, idiot-proof to use and best of all I didn't miss a bit; plus can be used from mains or rechargeable.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Shaver, 24 Feb 2008
jimjames (North East, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips QC5170 Hairclipper (Personal Care)
I've been shaving my head now for almost 12 years, for the first few years i shaved with a set of clippers. Once i got tired of using them i just used to shave to the bone using a gillette blade. Now i'm approaching 30 i was growing bored of constantly have to shave my head, dealing with ingrowing hairs and such and decided it was time for a new set of clippers.

When i spotted these i was immediately drawn to 2 things:

1) They're cordless,
2) The blades were stainless steel and maintenance free.

Admittedly once i received them from Amazon my heart sank a bit, the clippers didn't match my expectations, it felt light and plastic y'know kind of cheap. But once i used them i was blown away (no i wasn't holding them with wet hands whilst they were plugged into the mains). They performed admirably, i have very fine hair (very little on the top and the usual around the side and back). I did have these on the shortest setting, and i haven't tried them with any of the attachments, but my head feels smooth and it didn't miss any patches.

The rotating head isn't a gimmick either, when i was shaving the back of my head, switching the shavers head 90 degrees (you can turn it in increments of 45 degrees) took the strain out holding the clippers awkwardly and helped me achieve what i think is a very good cut. Plus they also double as beard trimmers (again i haven't tried to shave my face with the attachments on).

Basically what i'm saying is that these are top notch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will have paid for itself in 4 months, 30 May 2008
Chappers "chappers" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Philips QC5170 Hairclipper (Personal Care)
Having gradually reduced my hair length down to a "Number 1" all over, I figured that I could carry on paying 3.00 to have it done by someone else, or I could just get myself suitably equipped, and do it myself.

I was a little pensive at what to get, having bought a Scherna male grooming trimmer a couple of years ago and found that to be shockingly poor, but then I saw the Philips QC5170 and decided it was worth a go.

I read the various user reviews, including the scatheing ones, but I have to say that I've had no problems with it what-so-ever. The manual clearly states that the number guide on that back is only a reference to tie-in to which of the two combs you have on at the time. They bear no relation to barber-shop "Grades" at all, so it's entirely your own fault if you go too low. I find a suitable length for me at the moment is with the smaller comb on and the setting at number 2. That to me roughly equals what I would have had as a "Number 1" at the barbers. I suspect going down to the 1 would be the rough equivalent to a Half-Grade at the barbers.

The rotating head is novel and not just a gimmick. It is genuinely useful for getting a better angle on doing your own hair. The comb attachments fit on in such a way as to give you a slightly cushioned feeling when you run the device over your head. The whole unit fits comfortably in the hand and isn't too heavy or ungainly.

The charge that the unit retains I find particularly good. One full charge seems to last for ages.

On the whole, I find the QC5170 to be an essential purchase for someone in the market for such a device, and I was pretty happy to pay 40.00 for it, so any less is practically a bargain!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet, 24 Jun 2007
music lover (rugby, warwickshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips QC5170 Hairclipper (Personal Care)
I've been cutting my hair as short as possible for over 20 years now. I even went through a period of shaving my head. My first cutter was a Whal unit, then I went to a Remington. This one is by far the best I've purchased, a very short cut without a comb fitted. What is left on my head feels very smooth and according to the wife it is a very even cut with no whispy bits left behind. I'm certainly not dissapointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad if you like it short., 5 Mar 2007
This review is from: Philips QC5170 Hairclipper (Personal Care)
As someone who just wants to keep his hair as short as possible I found this item fitted the bill perfectly. I don't use any of the attachments but I found it easy to use, lightweight and much easier than a traditional set of clippers to use on your own head. The fact that it offers both corded and cordless operation makes them ideal for travelling or more regular use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Idiot proof, 19 Oct 2007
Stephen Newton (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips QC5170 Hairclipper (Personal Care)
At first the idea of cutting your own hair just feels wrong; like you're being cheap. But while the clippers certainly pay for themselves soon enough, cost isn't the only reason to go down this route. Cutting your own hair fits in well with the rest of your routine and feels surprisingly natural once you get started. It means you can cut more frequently and integrate it with your shave.

Of course, I'm speaking as someone who's bald on top and keeps what little hair he has left short (which, ironically, means cutting more frequently than those with a full head of hair). If you've enough for any other style, DIY is obviously going to be tougher.

Nevertheless, these are more or less idiot proof. Just start on a long setting and go down through the grades until you hit the right one.

However, there is no full charge indication; you're instructed to charge for at least 8 hours and no more than 24 hours. There should be full charge light and cut out. Also the clippers are a little noisy, it's not excessive, but you can't hear them cutting the hair, which would be useful especially at the back.

(It's worth adding that my wife didn't spot that I'd not gone to the barber.)

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't cut short enough, 15 Jan 2009
W. Hodge (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips QC5170 Hairclipper (Personal Care)

I like my hair short, and after plenty of experimenting, the 3mm Remington blade length was perfect. The remington clippers battery failed so I tried these. 2mm difference might not seem much, it is nearly double the length so sent back. They did seem comfortable and easy to use so if you are not fussy like me then go for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's great!, 27 Feb 2007
This review is from: Philips QC5170 Hairclipper (Personal Care)
I too was put off by the first review which was a bit negative. I decided to try it anyway, not expecting too much, and I was pleasantly surprised. It cuts my hair brilliantly, got a few good comments from people at work as well! Maybe it depends on your hair type - mine is very fine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth the high price., 1 Mar 2008
Bteg1979 (Dublinia, Eirelande) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips QC5170 Hairclipper (Personal Care)
These clippers are well worth the money. Phillips have surprised me on this. It cuts brilliantly, absolutely no patches left behind, every one I know is amazed that I cut my hair myself. I am 30 and have been a hippy with long hair for 15 years and now I have a crew cut & I fit in:) So far these clippers have no flaws but then again I have only used them once, I hope they last. Excellento.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, 30 Jun 2007
Wai Ming Lee "calvinandhobbes" (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips QC5170 Hairclipper (Personal Care)
I've never cut my own hair before, but I'm pretty pleased with the result. I did read somewhere that the grades used on this aren't the same as the grades used by barbers, so a word of warning to all, think carefully what setting you use!! Once you've worked out your ideal setting(s) it's easy to use.

Philips QC5170 Hairclipper