5.0 out of 5 stars Best TV drama in years
Published on 13 Dec 2006 by Jim

3.0 out of 5 stars ... for my daughter so comment is hers not as good as
Bought for my daughter so comment is hers not as good as ER
Published 2 months ago by Shoelover

5.0 out of 5 stars Best TV drama in years, 13 Dec 2006
Jim (Newcastle) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bodies : The Complete BBC Collection Box Set [2004] [DVD] (DVD)
A wonderful dark, funny, intelligent, thought provoking series. One moment you're horrified, the next you're laughing. The script is flawless and the acting exceptional. It is a total disgrace that this series wasn't continued. Instead the BBC churn out endless derivative detective mysteries and 'escape to the country' comedy dramas. No effort was made to publicise it and then they were surprised that it didn't rate. I only found it by chance and everyone I know who also discovered it was hooked and now raves about it. You must WATCH THIS SERIES then write to the BBC to say how disgusted you are they stopped making it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Modern Medical Drama, 25 Mar 2008
Kindle Customer (Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This box set gives you all of seasons one and two plus the movie length finale. The complex story lines are absorbing and this is much a drama about work politics as it is about tough medical cases. Every character is finely shaded so that even the villains are sympathetic at times and the supposed heroes as almost as flawed. Max Beeseley excels as the young registrar while Keith Allen almost steals the show as the cynical Dr Whitman - he certainly has the funniest lines, and provides some memorable comis moments. Some of the medical procedures are filmed in a very graphic style but this just adds to realism of the whole serial which only very rarely leaves the work place. There is hardly an unnecessary minute in all of the episodes - this is one to be watched closely and savoured! Overall, it's compelling, claustrophobic and extremely tense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb acting and subjects that really happen, 27 Dec 2006
I have to be honest on this one I would love to work as a high up tv executive because if the job is to scrap brilliant programmes and commission "and they all lived happily ever after" dramas then pay me to make those decisions.

I have watched all the usual tosh and as a previous review I found this gem by pure luck. I was hooked on this from the first episode, absoloutely brilliant. This series shows the blood and guts of being a doctor etc with the politics involved. Where mistakes can literaly kill and they frequestly get made. Max Beesley and Neve Mcintosh for me absoultely steal this series, I have never known anything like this where one second you are shocked and the next you are laughing hysterically. All I can say to anybody who is considering buying this collection is you will not be dissapointed at all but please be prepared to be shocked and possibly offened at some of the contents.

Also apologies if I waffle a touch but this is my first review.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant expose of organisational politics, 1 Jun 2008
Gavin Wilson - See all my reviews
Presumably the series was terminated because so many of the scenes would be unacceptably explicit on TV screens in several key markets, particularly America.

For me, the thrill of these series comes from the Macchiavellian storylines and the perpetual conflict between two hierarchies: hospital management and medical consultants. Every episode sees the abuse of power to cover up incompetence.

No-one, apart possibly from the nurse, Donna, behaves perfectly in this hospital -- certainly not the protagonist Rob, who is always torn between his own career, his sense of right and wrong, and his roving, woman-focussed eye.

The music is wonderful, although if you watch the episodes in close succession, it gets a tad repetitive. There are many thoughtful silences, however, and Rob is a man of few words -- it's left to the viewer to guess what he's thinking.

For me, the political storylines could have worked just as well in another profession. I am squeamish, so the only way for me to get through the gore is to become a little desensitised and detached from the plight of the many victims. Thankfully I have no plans to go back to any maternity ward myself, although of course my children may well do so. I'll probably conceal this boxed set from them!

4.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly good, not for the feint hearted, 29 Oct 2009
I bought this product because of good reveiws and the fact my best friend is a midwife adn I thought it would be interesting.
I learned a lot not only about the operations and daily running of the hospital and its politics, but also got totally sucked into the characters and the drama of it all!
Brilliant show, convincing diologue, characters and situations, I got totally engrossed. I say not for the feint hearted as the effects can at times be a tad disturbing, more so in the second series as the budget obviously got bigger and they could afford more, whereas in the first series they did a lot of cut away shots and hid the action.
Max Beasley is a treat in this, as is Keith Allen. I whole heartedly recommend this to anyone, it blows ER out of the water.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant!, 7 Nov 2006
Ruth (UK, leicester) - See all my reviews
i have watched this dvd of this fantastic programme and i am so pleased i bought it, as it is my favourite tv programme. wonderful actors, and brilliant acting. i enjoyed watching all the episodes again. i can't wait for series 2 to be released!! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars a stunning series, 21 Sep 2006
Madge (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This show was so compelling with great acting from Max Beesley and the sinister Keith Allen. It looks really different from most TV series and is shot in a really fast paced and stylish way.

It really shows the darker sider of working in the NHS and the drama and characters are great. A real landmark series.

Can't wait for the DVD!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Review on Bodies BBC, 11 Feb 2010
Ada Lui (UK) - See all my reviews
Very realistic. I work in a NHS hospital and can relate some of the story lines to my job. Better than ER.

5.0 out of 5 stars JUST AMAZING!!!! I LOVE IT :@), 21 April 2011
M. Beaumont - See all my reviews
I have just borrowed the complete box set from my big sis who raved on and on about Bodies - I watched the entire box set in the space of two days or so, having been off work recuperating from an op - I would never had gone into hospital had I seen it first!!!!! I'm so impressed have bought my own copy of the box set.

I cannot rate Bodies highly enough - it is utterly compelling, graphic, & wonderfully acted. My heart was in my mouth, I was on the edge of my seat throughout.

JUST FABULOUS... BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, shocking, addictive!, 20 Mar 2008
Ms. B. Harper "Bry" (Flackwell Heath, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I'm sure I could do a better job than the BBC execs who decided to axe this show. It makes Holby City/Casualty look like a game; Bodies is a gripping and dark representation of NHS hospitals today. The cast are fantastic and make this programme what it is; Neve Macintosh, Max Beesley, Patrick Baladi, Keith Allen and Tamzin Malleson complement and work off one another perfectly. I cannot fault this programme, you will find it shocking and disturbing, but at the same time, you will not be able to turn it off. As the second series progresses, the focus shifts as the hospital grows. However, this progression is handled well and seems entirely natural; the finale also works pretty well seeing as there was a fairly big gap between the filming of series 2 and the finale. On first viewing of the finale, you are left feeling slightly dissatisfied, but this is on purpose and entirely fitting with the programme.

Bodies : The Complete BBC Collection Box Set [2004] [DVD]