5.0 out of 5 stars Great telescope
Being a total newby in amateur astronomy I read extensively through various web sites and product reviews before deciding on the NexStar 4 SE.
The three deciding factors at the end were: quality of the instrument, portability and price.
So far the telescope has not disappointed me.
It is a beautiful instrument, excellent build quality and the computerized...
Published on 4 Feb. 2010 by Frank van Ooijen

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but too pricey
Published on 2 Dec. 2011 by Sam

5.0 out of 5 stars Great telescope, 4 Feb. 2010
Frank van Ooijen (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron NexStar 4 SE Computerised Telescope (Electronics)
So far the telescope has not disappointed me.
It is a beautiful instrument, excellent build quality and the computerized star finder is a great tool.
If anything I would have liked Celestron to have included an additional eyepiece in the kit as standard.
The included 25 mm eyepiece gives a 52 times magnification, which is excellent for viewing the moon, but too low to clearly resolve the planets.
Being a 4" device, the magnification can realisticly go up to 240 times, so inlcuding a 12 mm eyepiece or a 2X Barlow lens would have made it a totally perfect experience out of the box.

5.0 out of 5 stars good little scope for the price., 15 Sept. 2011
E. Hancock - See all my reviews
bought this telescope last month and so far it has performed well.once alligned it will take you to far away places from within its database,set up is fairly easy once you get used to the american way of inputing dates,there should be a way to change it to uk style as we input the day first then the month.inputing the time is standard 24 hour clock,and also entering your country and town or city,(not all at once but for example,england london).even after switch of you dont always have to input that bit.just the date and time,there are a few different ways to allign using,1 star 2star 3star polar eq north eq south or solar,since i am focusing on jupiter at the moment i align using that planet in the solar system align.noone ever mentions the rear camera part,at the back of the scope there is a threaded head to attach the T-ring adapter then the relative T-ring for your camera.canon in my case.the good thing is you can line up what you are looking at in the eypiece then at the flick of a switch you can see the object in the camera eypice or viewscreen,may need re focusing from eye to lense.power for some maybe an issue so a power tank is recommended,since i am only focusing on one object i use duracell rechargables at the moment till i can get a powertank,for the short time i am out with it and only looking at one thing,the batteries have lasted for at least 5 1hour to two hour sessions mainly just tracking,moving it about through other object will drain the batteries.

PROS. easy tripod for one person to carry and set up.
the whole aligment process works once you have input all the correct data
looks nice as well.
price is good for what it does

cons. could have come with one more eypiece and a standard barlow.
a USB connection cable instead of RS-232 cable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but too pricey, 2 Dec. 2011
I used this scope for about 10 hours in total over two weeks before I returned it for a refund. This was my second scope, my first being a cheap 4 inch newtonian reflector. I decided to go for this scope to try some photography, as my first scope didn't have a tracking motor, and this one had a built in wedge offering both the simplicity of alt-az setup for obsevations, and polar alignment for photography. It also has a built in mirror to switch the light from the eye piece to an aditional camera adaptor at the back meaning you could quickly switch between the two.

This scope was very good optically, and the views of jupiter were nice and sharp. I bought an extra 9mm eye piece, giving a magnification of 144 which was good for Jupiter, as the standard 25mm only gives 52x mag. From my light polluted back garden I could just about make out andromeda, and the orion nebula had a reasonable amount of detail.

The goto feature was very good, and I found it placed objects within the view of the 9mm eyepiece, and I was able to find objects I hadn't found with my first scope. The 3 star alignment failed regularly, as I wasn't particularly accurate with my setup, setting my location to london (about 40 miles away) and using the small bubble level provided, however I found the 2 star auto align a breeze to use (in combination with the google sky maps android app to identify the stars).

With an aditional camera adaptor, I was able to take pictures of the orion nebula, but I found you had to be careful when using the go-to with the camera attached, as there isn't enough space between the scope and the base for the telescope to point much past about 70 degrees upwards without the camera crashing into the base (I was unable to photograph Andromeda for this reason). The blacklash in the gears was significant, and this meant you had to apprach an object in the same direction as the tracking othewise it would shift about half way through the frame while the gears took up the backlash. I never actually used the wedge feature to polar align as I didn't have a remote release for my camera, so couldn't take exposures of more than 30 seconds. In alt-az mode I found about 3 in 4 pictures would have significant vertical star movement, but I'm sure in polar mode this would have been a lot better as the mount would only need to track in one direction.

I also found the mirror shifted a lot when changing direction with the focuser, but this is expected with a low end telescope of this design.

All in all, I enjoyed using this scope and it was a good learning experience, however I quickly started to crave more apature, and hence the reason I returned it for an upgrade. If I had taken it somewhere darker it may have kept me occupied for a while longer. I would suggest buying a cheaper scope without go-to, as the 40,000 object database is really wasted on a scope of this size and just not worth the extra money. Learn you way around the sky (maybe with the help of a good smartphone app or download stellarium to a laptop) as you will be able to see just as much, and then save up for something bigger.

5.0 out of 5 stars This telescope is pretty good for the beginner who's not so interested in ..., 9 April 2015
This telescope is pretty good for the beginner who's not so interested in learning their way around the sky but is more inclined to be a tourist of the sky and who may intend to make use of the integrated equatorial wedge(otherwise the Nexstar 127 SLT is a better buy due to the extra inch of aperture).

With 8 fresh quality AA batteries the GoTo is pretty accurate when setup properly (it uses American dating system), easily placing objects within the field of view of a 25, 32 or 40mm Plossl eyepiece. Downside is it eats through batteries as it only works at it's best with fresh batteries, if you observe a lot and for long periods a Celestron or Skywatcher 7ah or 17ah power tank is required.

The focuser seems to work well with not much in the way of the vibration after focusing, the tripod is nice and stable when extended but don't go bumping into it. The accessory tray can easily hold 4 1.25" eyepieces and a Barlow Lens which I've found is all I need for observing with this scope.

The optics are high quality producing good views of the moon, planets and double stars, and open clusters though these don't tend to fit in the whole view even when it's only had a short time to cool down. But if you're more interested in faint deep sky objects this telescope will have too small an aperture to satisfy you, and you'd be better off with the 8SE or a dobsonian.

It is highly portable, I carry it from a living room through a hallway and two rooms in one piece fully assembled with tripod legs up and with eyepieces+barlow lens in their accessory tray, it'd be a good choice for someone living in a high flat.

Last couple things is if you do get this scope or another of the SE series I highly reccomend purchasing the Celestron SkyQLink 1 or 2 either work with Android or iOS and using Skyportal app or Sky Safari 4 Plus or Pro to control the telescope, it's a lot better than using the handcontrol. You will also want a a Celestron or Skywatcher powertank to provide a steady power supply to keep the GoTo accurate for hours on end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Managed to get a faulty one, 20 May 2013
This is a good starter scope for checking out a few things like the moon, sun (with sun filter) and a few nearby planets (with 6mm eye).
If you want more then its best to go 8 inches up.
Its small as far as telescopes go but clear and powerful for its size.
Don't get low quality eye pieces (don't get a zoom-able one either) or you will kill the quality of the scope. Get the pro stuff.
Mine had a faulty on/off button :( but I think this was just bad luck.
A mission to return - as you need to repackage the entire thing exactly as you got it.
Take a video of your unpacking - a good tip to reverse things in the future.

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning, 22 April 2012
Ian Robinson "Ian" (Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great telescope for looking at the moon, but realistically, if you want to get he most out of what observation time you have, go get a bigger aperture. You will quickly get frustrated when you want to move on to seeing more detail on planets and especially dso's. Save up and go for the 8"!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Scope but Skywatcher is better value, 21 Sept. 2012
I had the opportunity to try one of these telescopes out recently. It is nicely portable and like most Maksutov designs it produces high magnification with a focal ration of 13. This makes it particularly suited to planetary viewing and also for splitting double stars. It's less well suited to deep space objects due to the same high focal ratio as the views tend to be a bit too narrow for some of the larger DSO objects. The smallish aperture for this price bracket means that you're not going to get a huge amount of surface detail on planets (you will on the moon) but as a portable and easy to use scope, it fulfills its remit will with nice crisp images.

The big catch for me is that Skywatcher Skymax 102 does all of these things equally well and is much cheaper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great starter scope for everyone, 1 Aug. 2012
I study astrophysics at university and I wanted a scope so that I could do some amateur astrophotography in my spare time. The scope is very good value for money but you do pay a bit more. The scope can be set up by one person in under 5 minutes. It has brilliant features in the hand control that make it easy for beginners but incredibly flexible for more advanced users. The tripod is well built and very stable and has a wedge for photography and for setting the mount to equitorial. The finderscope is a brilliant addition. The scope itself has great optics and produces very clear images of stars and planets. I would recommend anyone get a few more eyepieces and a barlow lens to get more magnification. If you want to photograph deep sky objects alone (or fainter stars viewed in the eyepiece) I would suggest a scope with bigger aperture but definately from this range of telescope. Overall, the quality from the tripod, fork arm and scope are top notch. This would be an great choice for a starter scope, I am very pleased with it. Happy star-gazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Celestron Nexstar computerised telescope, 15 Mar. 2012
M. L. Shannon (bristol england) - See all my reviews
I got this back in Dec last year but its been too cold to actually go out and use it until now. I found the setup easy considering i am normally useless with this sort of equipment, and setting up the programs for the computer were easy to follow and download. This is my first computerised telescope and i thought it was going to be more challenging to use, but its easy to follow guides all went smoothly, i would have liked the next one up but this is more than adequate for my needs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Room for improvement, 13 Feb. 2015
USB interface would be more useful.
Otherwise nice piece of kit.

Celestron NexStar 4 SE Computerised Telescope