4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful sounding headphones!, 7 Oct 2009
This review is from: Ultrasone - DJ 1 Headphones (Electronics)
Ok first of all I want to say I don't really have any basis for comparison here. I was looking around for DJ headphones for a while, reading reviews, comparing prices. Lets cut a long story short; it came to two options in the end which were the "Sony MRD-V700" or "Ultrasone DJ1". Similar price range, both designed for DJing applications but can be used with anything (I use mine with my Walkman a lot).

So after researching both models I decided to go for the Ultrasone DJ1s, and all I can say is that the sound is so amazing and real! I would advise to research these on YouTube and have a look on Ultrasone's website too. Explains a lot.

*Really good isolation
*Patented S-Logic Plus Technology
*Offset driver reduces hearing damage (very impressive)
*Natural Surround

I cannot recommend these enough, specially if you mix or listen to Trance like me!!

The only reason I gave 4 stars is because they get a bit heavy after long listening sessions. Maybe I just have a really weird shaped head. I dont know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Headphone for Electronic Music, 30 Mar 2011
T. Young "Truth" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultrasone - DJ 1 Headphones (Electronics)
Ultrasone is known as the best brand of headphone for electronic music mainly because it has the fattest bass of all the headphones. If you are a basshead, then this headphone is for you. You simply will not get more quality bass from any other headphone at this price point.

The quality alternatives are Sony XB700, DT 700 Pro 80, the Denon D2000 and M50. But strictly in terms of Bass, this Ultrasone 580/DJ1 sits at the top of the pile.

This model is also considered the most popular model out of the HFI series and have the most bass. (DJ1 = HFI 580 but with coiled cord and DJ1 Pro = Pro 550)

The HFI 680 is harder to drive and have the least bass out of the HFI series. Frankly if you aren't into fat bass then the Denon would be better and more rounded headphone beating the 680 in every way.

The HFI 780 is more balance and more detailed sounding than HFI 580. However, the highs might come across as too much for some people and there is slightly less bass than HFI 580. Also, this headphone seem to have comfort issues for a few people. Although the sound quality is a tad better compared to HFI 580, it is just not as fun a headphone to listen to but there are quite a lot of people buying this model as well.

The Pro series of Ultrasone would require amping and the only models worth looking at are Pro 750 and Pro 900. Personally, if you were to go the Ultrasone route, it would be best to buy HFI 580/DJ1 then Pro 900 + amp and miss the middle models.

The S-Logic technology is where the music is suppose to be directed around your ears so you don't get it going directing into your ears. This should create an effect of a larger soundstage even for a close headphone. Some people say it might take time to get use to it.. I personally didn't notice any difference. What I did find was that after listening to pounding bass at loud volume for a long while I didn't find it fatiguing. Usually, after listening for a while with whatever headphones, my ears feel like.... I have just come out of a club and slightly.. muffled. This headphone after listening for hours on end, my ears feels like when I first put my headphone on. So I guess it works and probably better for my ears.

Isolation wise it is 10/10.

This headphone is not for everybody. I see most reviews for this headphones on headphone review site give it a 4/5 or 8/10 rather than the perfect score it deserves mainly because most music reviewers are into their rock music and pop and what not and just don't dig the excess bass. But if you are buying this knowing what this beast of a headphone is built for, then it is a 10/10. Oh yeah, obviously great headphone for watching movies as well.

Ultrasone - DJ 1 Headphones