5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Good Software
Although it seemed initially expensive I had read so many good reviews that I decided to buy it even though I had been very disappointed with the earlier versions which I abandoned.

Published on 29 Oct 2006 by Tellboy

Published on 28 July 2007 by Chrissy K

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Good Software, 29 Oct 2006
Tellboy (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 (Preferred Edition) (CD-ROM)

I followed the brief (about 15 minutes) voice recognition training after setup and after about 2 weeks of use where some words needed extra correction through the microphone to adjust to my slurred speech it is now amazingly almost 100% accurate at ten times faster than I type.

The only two problems I encountered are:-

1 The microphone actually turns off when I first open the program needing the XP control panel, sound to be reset to microphone. Mldly annoying but probably my sound card setup.

2 When dictating into Outlook Express all is well until you try to add a picture to your email. Outlook Express just shuts down and you have lost your dictated text. The solution is to use the Dragon Pad and copy this across after you have done an email attachment

Overall a very good purchase, I am sure you will enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is brilliant software!, 21 Sep 2006
A. F. Green (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 (Preferred Edition) (CD-ROM)
I have used the earlier version of this software for many years in my business, it has always being good but required a great deal of correction.
This latest version is absolutely brilliant! It learns very quickly and makes very few mistakes. There is no comparison with the earlier version and its glitches.

I would recommend this to anyone who like myself has great volumes of text to get through in their work. It takes very little training initially, learns very quickly as it goes on and is very user-friendly.
I am totally delighted with it and would thoroughly recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, but beware, 11 July 2007
Anthony Stamp (Colchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 (Preferred Edition) (CD-ROM)
I have used this product both personally and training students, many of whom have disabilities. Generally it is brilliant and works just as it should. But beware of a couple of points. Most of the students who have had difficulties and found it inaccurate are female; it seems to have more difficulties recognising the higher pitched voices. But do not give up - with patience it can work very well for women too.
The other thing to beware of is that many laptops do not have adequate sound 'cards' to work with the supplied headset - the generic multi-media chips are simply not up to the job. The solution is simple - get a USB headset. Plantronics make excellent ones at around 35. Most desktop sound cards work fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well it works just fine for me !, 18 July 2007
Bob (South Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 (Preferred Edition) (CD-ROM)
When I read some of the negative reviews I did a quick check that I had the same product. I do. It was up and running and working remarkably well within an hour of `training'.

Basically just follow the instructions. Make sure your PC has enough memory and keep the microphone in the suggested optimal position. I also did a defrag before installing the software.

You can allow it to crawl through your e mails (Outlook) to get a sense of your writing style and vocabulary. It's a bit spooky seeing it get most people's names right first time.

A small price for such a massive improvement in productivity.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant product, 3 July 2007
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 (Preferred Edition) (CD-ROM)
Having just recommended Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 to yet another colleague, I thought I must write to correct some of the previous postings about this brilliant product. I suffer from Parkinson's disease which means I cannot really use the keyboard, and my writing is totally illegible now, so Dragon is my saving grace. I use it every day for e-mails, or surfing the web, and in a range of applications including Microsoft WORD, ACCESS, etc etc. In fact I am using now to dictate this, and as usual I am getting about 95% accuracy.

I suspect that some of the previous negative comments are because it needs, to work properly, adequate memory (I suspect it needs a minimum 1024 MB RAM, and not 512 MB as it says on the packet), and the proper setup for audio -- this really is critical as if it cannot get a good feed from the microphone, then obviously it is going to make missed takes (that is one of them!). So you really must make sure that your audio setup is working properly with a good signal to noise ratio, etc -- as spelt out in the accompanying booklet.

However, version 9 so much easier to use and to correct mistakes with. The "select and say" really does what it promises in that if you/it makes a mistake, you simply say "select" and then the wrong bit of text, to bring up a range of suggested corrections, or you can simply dictate over the previous text to correct it. As with anything like this, a bit of practice at the start makes for perfect later on.

So, overall, I have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Would be great if it didn't decide to go on strike every couple weeks..., 28 July 2007
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 (Preferred Edition) (CD-ROM)
I was amazed at this product originally. A huge improvement over version 8 in accuracy and speed! However, every couple of weeks it decides to just 'stop working'. Whenever I speak, it just pops up a little box with a few question marks instead of typing what I say. There is no warning, no changes are done to the files, today it just happened between dictating one email and the next. I have a huge amount of memory, disk space, I'm defragged and with a fresh disk clean... I have a professional mic, the audio settings are nice and happy.. so it's not my relatively new PC or my equipment. It is so disappointing and wastes too much of my time that it's meant to save. And after reading that another reviewer was not allowed to reinstall after the 4th time, I've a horrible feeling that this just may have been a waste of a great deal of good money too. I'm feeling warm thoughts towards my version 8 again ... it may not have been as accurate but it least it worked! I would approach this product with eyes wide open; it makes you happy then takes the time you've saved with it, cruelly away.

2.0 out of 5 stars Software OK, technical support cost is outrageous, 11 Feb 2008
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 (Preferred Edition) (CD-ROM)
I've had this product for about a year now. It's OK, but there's still too much effort for me in going back to correct the errors it makes. I'm pretty decent with the keyboard so can generally type faster than the software works.
Anyway, I've tried to update the software on the web and am getting an error message. The error message comes from the InstallShield software that is installed by DNS9 without the user being told.
Having looked at their website to get support on the update issue I'm having I see that IT COSTS $9.95 TO RAISE AN EMAIL 'INCIDENT'. ARE THEY JOKING? If you want to phone them you get one call free. ALL FURTHER CALLS ARE CHARGED AT $19.95 PER INCIDENT. I'm amazed this company is still in business. In practice of course you wouldn't know about these costs until you need to contact them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Voice recognition has finally made it!, 23 Jan 2007
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 (Preferred Edition) (CD-ROM)
This is the third time I have bought Dragon Naturally Speaking. The first time was about 10 years ago - a total waste of over 500. The next about 5 years ago - another waste of time buta lot cheaper. So I approached this experiment with trepidation and after having used it now for about 3 weeks I can say that Dragon have finally cracked it. This really works and it works fast. I had one installation problem - it is incompatable with the voice recognition software that comes with Word 2003. God knows why Dragon didn't build in a solution for this since their software was published later and it seems to be a well known problem. it is quite a hassle to disable the Word voice recognition but once that is gone the thing runs more or less smoothly. This one should last me for years! I'll buy the next version in 3 years time though to see if they have made it even better.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, 2 Mar 2008
A. Mutimer "amutimer" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 (Preferred Edition) (CD-ROM)
In the past, speech recognition software held out the promise of the miracle of talking to your computer, but there was a significant problem with it - it didn't work. I had DNS5 and back then you spent so much time fixing the errors, some of which were incomprehensibly huge, that you might as well have typed it manually. But with DNS9 that problem has gone. Now, you talk and it writes with about 98% accuracy.

Of course it is not perfect, when you say "sine" it might well stick up "sign", but, incredible, after a number of corrections,even this kind of thing reduces to very low levels becuase as you correct an error (which can be done verbally and entirely withou the keyboard) the software learns; it learns your personal vocabulary. It is sometimes almost spooky the way the thing gets it right at times.

So I recommend this software for the simple reason that it works, but I will also tell you its limitiations. First, ignore what it says on the box, you need a gig of RAM minimum and a recent (last three years)processor. Second, the command function, whucgh allows you to open and shut programmes, is far more trouble than it is worth. If you leave it on you will be happilly dictating away in a newsgroup or something only to find that it has dumped you and opened another programme entirely. If you lose the work, and I have, it can very irritating, so I say turn the function off completely. Another thing is you will find that, once in a while, it throws a wobbler. It suddenly cannot recognise your words at all and it either sticks or it types out pure rubbish. This is an infrequent problem and I do not understand it, but it is real, a mate of mine uses this same software, in fact it was him who convinced me it worked, and he has the same problem. But, I repeat, it is rare and can be overcome by simply restarting the software. My last little gripe is that if you dictate over a certain amount (in my case 4 pages) in Word it will call proceedings to a halt, so you have to save and repoen Word and go from there. This may be a setup issue, I am not sure, anyway four pages is a lot and an you will rarely hit that buffer.

Folks, speech recognition has finally come of age - it has also become very affordable. Buy it and be impressed.

Regards

Adrian

5.0 out of 5 stars Saves me hours of time, 27 Mar 2007
T. Boyd (Bushey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 (Preferred Edition) (CD-ROM)
I am still a two-fingered typist and have failed to learn touch-typing even with the use of a tutorial programme. I tried a rival speech recognition system many years ago and got laughable results. I have been using an older version of 'Dragon' for a while and have now upgraded to this one. It is brilliant and types far, far faster than I can type and often with amazing accuracy.

I have to write medical reports, which often contain quite recondite vocabulary. I am frequently pleasantly surprised that the system recognises words I thought it would struggle with.

I suggest you try it.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 (Preferred Edition)
Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 (Preferred Edition) by Nuance Communications, Inc. (Windows 2000 / 98 / Vista / XP)
Used & New from: 14.99