5.0 out of 5 stars A fine DSLR that's good to use as well as having competitive functionality and excellent technical performance
I've used a film SLR for most of my photographic life. Then a few years ago I got into digital, and have had two Nikon Coolpix (including the splendid twisty-bodied 4500) and then an Olympus semi-SLR (the 8080 wide zoom, with bend-out LCD screen). Someone stole the Olympus. What should I do?

I was very tempted by the Sony DSC-R1, with it's live twisty LCD and...
Published on 19 Sep 2006 by P. Kingston

1.0 out of 5 stars Think carefully about this one
Published on 15 May 2007 by P. MARTIN

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Beginners Camera, 6 Jan 2010
Mr. D. Carran "I Shot The Deputy!" (Southport, Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Alpha DSLR-A100K Camera with 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I had this Camera as my first DSLR, it was fantastic. I used it all around the UK and took it with me when I took my motorbike all around Europe. I came off in poor conditions in the alps and there was condensation in the camera / lens but the camera was fine as it was well protected. I thought I was faced with a pricy bill when I made it from switzerland over to italy but I simply wore the camera bag around while I rode around and to my surprise to condensation cleared perfectly!

So great build, Sony definitely make the best cameras with Carl Zeiss Optics and built in image stabilisation. The other makes seemed a bit plasticky and just didnt have the same quality as the Sony Cameras, not to mention the image stabilisation. My only complaint about the sony was that compared to newer models the screen isnt so clear especially in sunny conditions. But with this you will definitely learn how to use an SLR and take some great pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Alpha 100k, 15 Feb 2009
Roger Bates (scotland uk) - See all my reviews
I bought this camera when it first came out and its given perfect results every time and has been totally reliable, Although now superceeded by further developments its a great buy for the non professional, highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars First 600 pictures look good!, 9 Aug 2006
I. M. Blinkhorn "Max Blinkhorn" (Edinburgh U.K.) - See all my reviews
Without embarking on scientific investigation of this new product, I obviously can't tell you how it compares to cameras with a similar price/features set. However, I can say that I think I've got my moneysworth. This is a lovely piece of kit with lots of features and few drawbacks. Here are the drawbacks I've found so far:

Can't get a live image on the display so I can shoot high above my own head and know I'm on target. MIght just not be reading the instructions right.

Autofocus can be a bit twitchy - trying some insect shots and found it was a little off due to wind blown subject.

Standard Lens is OK but when you look at the prices of the other lenses, it makes you wonder what they offer in terms of quality. The new DT 18-200 mm lens looks like the best buy but at 400 it's not cheap. How much better the results of the higher priced lenses are is impossible to say.

If you are used to a compact, the autofocus lens movement is a bit disconcerting at first!

On the plus side:

I've seen pros going round with these mighty Nikons with big batteries and this looks dinky by comparison. The battery has lasted ages but as it's a special unit, you can't use AA's which appear to be be higher/longer power than the 1500 maH included. It handles well as is really light.

While you can fiddle with the manual settings, auto meets most needs in general shooting. There are modes though to keep it simple (till I can use the manual settings properly!).

The eye start feature is great - it switches on the camera and focuses when you lift it to you eye so it's ready to take a pic, reducing the lag significantly.

Overall, ther results have been wonderful and I'm thrilled to bits with it, cranking out shots here at the Edinburgh Festival 2006. As a result of my pics so far, I've been invited backstage at several productions to take more pictures - cool!Other shots have come out very well. You can't go wrong with the basic camera and the twin lens kit looks cracking value.

1.0 out of 5 stars Think carefully about this one, 15 May 2007
P. MARTIN "psmartin7" (Aldershot, Hants) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I am an ex owner of this camera. Deciding not to upgrade my SLR lens collection for a camera that I failed to get on with. I am not saying this is a bad camera just that I did not get on with it and I will tell you why. Firstly the controls are not very well set out.It is still trying to cater to the creative compact market and has lots os settings for various scenes etc...this si either a serious camera or not it can't be both. I never worked out which it was and I only ever used 1 scene mode to shoot some sunsets. The camera took an age to set up with several dials and menu's to cope with but the results? well fantastic. That's the frustrating thing about this camera it can produce great results. But turn it off for 30 secs change position and re-shoot and guess what? it's failed to store any settings and you have to set the whole thing up again and again and again. so in short Fiddly and unsure of where it fits in but I have to say it can take a stunning shot. If you get one and don't like the image quality and everything else is set up right, think long and hard those sony lenses are very expensive. You can go Sigma or Tamron but they are not quite on the money in some respects.

Summing up then. I found this camera drove me mad, and then calmed me down by producing a great shot only to drive me mad again. Had some brilliant features that cried out for better glass to exploit, that I was not prepared to pay for as it drove me mad again. If you do buy it don't say I didn't try to warn you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›