4.0 out of 5 stars A sci-fi series that is fun and sexy
I don't normally enjoy science fiction shows, so I was surprised to find myself being drawn into this one.

Published on 8 Jan 2007 by Ms. K. M. Shand

3.0 out of 5 stars A Triumph of Style over Content
Published on 3 Jan 2007 by Robert Lewis

4.0 out of 5 stars A sci-fi series that is fun and sexy, 8 Jan 2007
Ms. K. M. Shand (Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Torchwood - Series 1 Part1, Episodes 1-5 (2 Disc Set) [2006] [DVD] (DVD)

I initially started watching because I liked John Barrowman but by the time the series had come to an end, I'd enjoyed the whole series. It's fun science fiction that doesn't take itself too seriously, it's much more character driven than most other sci-fi shows and all of the characters bring something different to the show, as well as being rather nice to look at.

If you like your science fiction to focus on character relationships, rather than aliens and alien artifacts, and you don't have any problems with bi-sexuality, then Torchwood is a very entertaining and somewhat different science fiction series. It isn't a series for sci-fi geeks.

Captain Jack - Leader of the group, 51st century time agent who's currently working on modern day Earth, handsome, flirty, can not die using conventional methods.

Owenn - medic, a bit full of himself, not afraid to speak his mind, likes the ladies.

Toshiko - Computer expert, perhaps the most 'normal' of the group, feels like a bit of an outsider.

Gwen - the ex-policewoman who accidentally stumbles upon Torchwood, views situations from a human view point rather than a hardened view point, struggles to mix her professional life with her personal life.

Ianto - is to Jack what Alfred was to Batman, takes care of the Hub whilst the others are away, young and sexy, likes to wear a suit, quiet and sensitive, keeps his emotions bottled inside until a crisis occurs.

Some people have accused Torchwood of having too much sex. This simply isn't true. Apart from episode two which is a bit fruity, Day One, the sex is kept to a minimum and is never graphic. It would actually be more accurate to say that Torchwood has a fair amount of sexuality, rather than sex itself. Also, apart from Captain Jack himself and a cyber-babe popping up, there's little connection between Torchwood and Doctor Who.

It's true that Torchwood is a bit patchy and it does have a few plot holes - like Jack not knowing that he has a cyberwoman in his basement - but if things like this don't bother you, give Torchwood a go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Entertaining, 19 Dec 2007
Rose B (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
OK, so I know as a Torchwood fan how mixed the reviews are, but in light of it's iminent return I thought I'd add my opinions.

Torchwood was meant to be the more adult version of Doctor Who. It has achieved this, in Sci-Fi terms at least. There's sex, guns and violence. There's homosexuality, there's adultery, there's plenty of snogging, basically. Torchwood employee's seem to be obligated to snog their boss/colleauges a lot.

But once you get past a few dodgy episodes (Sex gas, anyone?) Torchwood comes into it's own. The first DVD, this one, is a good introduction, but I would urge anyone who watches it not to judge it just on what you see here. As the series goes on, the episodes get steadily better.

The first series of Torchwood was entertaining, but also a learning experience for the writers and producers. We've learnt things such as we now realise Chris Chibnall should never be allowed to write episodes.

I'd reccomend Torchwood less to hardcore Sci-Fi fans, who will probably be very dissapointed, but more to people who are fans of Doctor Who, but would like to experience something less aimed at children.

I can only see Torchwood improving in it's second series, and as long as Chris Chibnall is allowed as little control as possible, it should be great!

5.0 out of 5 stars very much like marmite - and i love marmite, 27 Nov 2006
G. Barker (UK) - See all my reviews
You are either going love or hate Torchwood -it's just one of those programmes. I personally love it, but can see where people have problems with it.

It is certainly not conventional, in the Si-Fi sense, and sometimes leaves a little, well a lot, to be desired on the scripting side, but I am willing to give it a chance. I can see that Russell T. Davies was so in love with this project that he has gone overboard, from the surreal , to ridiculous; but why should that be a problem?

The acting is good, with John Barrowman, Eve Myles, and Burn Gorman being the best, and I personally feel that Mr Davies' most amazing achievement is making Cardiff look like Las Vegas.

This programme isn't setting out to change the world, it is a little bit of sex-fuelled fun on a Sunday night, which doen't happen very often in my house.

I hope I am right in predicting that this programme will get better as it goes along, as many programmes have in the past. Don't forget that Coronation Street was slated by reviewers and critics alike for the first six weeks, and has now become a national institution.

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting better with each episode, 15 Nov 2006
D. I. Shipley "David Shipley" (KENT United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Like many other fans of dr Who, I wondered just how good (or bad) Torchwood would actually be. The first episode was anything but poor, however, it had the not so easy task of setting the scene for the rest of the series, and that it successfully did. The first episode sees the introduction of Gwen into the Torchwood team of Owen, Toshiko, Ianto, and Suzie. Heading the team is the enigmatic Captain Jack, again played by John Barrowman who reprises his role from the first series of Dr Who.
Gwen finds out that Torchwood's role is to investigate any signs of Alien activity on Earth and that researching such activity is anything but boring....

Since then we have had a sex crazed alien entity wreaking havoc in downtown Cardiff... Then a piece of alien hardware which shows ghostly scenes from the past which have a very deep impact on those who possess it. Following that is a story concerning a partly constructed cyberwoman who survived the Cyber/Dalek war at the end of the last episode of the second series of Dr Who, and who now wants to start upgrading humans again...
However, in my opinion the best episode so far is the most recent as of the date of writing, and that is titled 'Small Worlds.'
Here we see the team investigating the sightings of 'Faeries'.... However, they turn out to be anything but nice and in fact are ancient, malevolent, and powerful beings that bitterly resents the encroachment of mankind on their territory. Into this mix come an ostracised and bullied little girl and an elderly lady who turns out to be a former lover of Captain Jack. This episode packs an emotional wallop too reminiscent of fine episodes from Dr Who such as The Girl In The Fireplace and Father's Day.

Also as the show has progressed, viewers are finding out more about the personal lives of Captain Jack and his team. Each episode so far seems to have given an insight into a different individual, including Captain Jack, and in doing so is increasing the interest level of the viewer in this team of people. Being more adult orientated means that there is a quota of sex and gore, not on show in Dr Who eg the graphic depiction of a Cyberman upgrade having gone wrong.... However, it is not gratuitous and works well with what is happening on screen.

I give the series as a whole four stars so far but tonight's episode 'Small Worlds' is a five star winner, no doubt about it. Therefore, I am no looking forward to the rest of the series and the entire series dvd which will be released later. This is turning out to be a really good Sci Fi series, and shows that UK tv really can produce the goods when it puts its mind to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars It gets better!, 2 Jan 2007
rockerbaby (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
I must admit as soon as I heard "they" were giving Captain Jack his own show I knew I'd be a fan and watch every episode and I have. However I admit I was a little disappointed with some episodes, Captain Jack has hardly any screen time or character development, Ianto and Tosh are in the same boat. Most early episodes are predominantly about Gwen andd Owen but I beg you STICK WITH IT. There are gems of episodes in amongst some which maybe are a little far-fetched even for a sci-fi show. Trust me, the show is gold especially the last 2 episodes. This show does get better, roll on series 2!

4.0 out of 5 stars What can I say? ACTION all around, 5 Aug 2013
After David Tennant left Doctor who (I know it was years ago) I was very much disappointed in Matt Smith (My personal views) So I got into Torchwood and WOW it is great, The only one I didn't find that good was the 2nd episode I mean an alien which lives of sexual pleasure? Who wants to watch that? However I do recommend you buy this DVD and definitely watch the episode "They keep killing Suzie" that episode is one of my favorites from series 1.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool, 14 May 2011
I wasnt keen on buying the complete series, just wanted the first 5 episodes,as i watched it on tv afew years ago and liked it, its doctor who strickly for adults!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets Better as it Progresses, 4 May 2008
If you love Doctor Who, you'll love this.
However, if you any very young children, don't let them watch it, as it is full of sex, artirial spray, and expletives.
Best for teenagers and adults.
Torchwood is a crime, thriller, sci-fi show: many great genres in one series.

Yet the best episode, Small Worlds, doesn't really involve much crime at all...it's about fairies.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Triumph of Style over Content, 3 Jan 2007
Robert Lewis "RCL" (UK.) - See all my reviews
But sadly not enough serious content to live up to the promise of the opening credits. I have to agree with Kevin O'Riordan - my exact comments were "Something like Dr. Who written by sex obsessed 5th form boys". The potential is there - so much potential is there - but it is so unrealised! Instead we are treated to so much in-fighting, swearing and gratuitous sex scenes, that we soon get fed up waiting for the story to evolve. The characters, with the exception of Captain Jack and Ianto, are all such screaming selfish wimps - for such a tough frontline covert organisation - it's a wonder they survive. Oh, and yes, we know John Barrowman is gay, but we don't need it thrown at us in spades every single episode.

There have been moments, but sadly the most fitting word I can find to describe Torchwood is 'superficial'. I trust it will improve dramatically (in all senses of the word) in the next series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Captain Jack, the ever living!, 23 April 2007
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I have viewed this series as an independent entity rather than "from the makers of Doctor Who". After all, this has a different target audience and is on a good few hours later on in the day that Doctor Who.

Bearing that in mind, this was an enjoyable Sci-Fi series, and being a Doctor Who fan - the links between the series added to the enjoyment.

Yes, there is sex and bad language (and sometimes it does feel as though it has been included just for the sake of it) but this doesn't take away from the series. This is a gritty and dark Sci-Fi series which doesn't always have a happy ending. It'll be interesting to see how this will do in the US if it gets aired there. I expect they'll cut out a lot of sex and tone down the old 'Anglo-Saxon', but it seems such an integral part of the series that it would ruin it to do so.

The characters take a while to develop, with the exception of Gwen and Captain Jack. Jack (played by the fantastic John Barrowman) is a deeply mysterious character who cannot die. The more we find out about him, the less we seem to know! In the first few episodes he seems a bit of an enigma.

Gwen is a great character and well acted. She adds the 'reality' element to the first few episodes as we see how her new job affects her home life. In the first few episodes her partner seems very supportive and encouraging. This does change later on in the series though!

The other character are slow burners, they are in the background and start to become better used as the series progresses. Ianto Jones gets his episode in episode 4 where we see the biggest link to Doctor Who since 'the hand' earlier on.

Overall I liked this series. It isn't one I can watch over and over again, but it is one I can enjoy from time to time. Some of the concepts are very interesting. It does have some flaws though. The "secret" Torchwood organisation doesn't seem that secret, as a quick flash of Torchwood ID badge and everyone understands who they are!

The series looks good, with the Torchwood hub looking as dark as you expect it to be. The music to the series accompanies the visuals well, and you don't watch it with one eye on the clock (unless you've got your soufflés in the oven, you wouldn't want to burn a soufflé)

I've given this 4 stars, with a bit more character development and more story arcs spanning episodes - this could be a corker of a series!

Torchwood - Series 1 Part1, Episodes 1-5  (2 Disc Set) [2006] [DVD]