5.0 out of 5 stars The Last Samurai
I thoroughly enjoyed this film and rate it amongst some of the very best I have seen in the last couple of years.
Although one could claim the plot line is a bit formulaic, it's a formula that definitely works and the superb acting that brings the story to life is pure enjoyment. Cruise is outstanding but it is maybe with the top notch supporting cast that really...
Published on 17 Jan 2005 by Rich Milligan

3.0 out of 5 stars the last samurai
The film is very good, bright color, but in the movie the tone with a Dolby Digital, would be better if you put on the latest high-definition Dolby.
Published 24 months ago by johnny

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating...., 7 May 2004
The Last Samurai was for me one of the most inspiring films i have ever seen. The film focuses on the introduction of Tom Cruise's character to the ways of the Samurai. Historically accurate, "pure hollywood" or not, this film grips the veiwer and doesnt let go. You can literally feel the fear of the soldiers who have to fight the legendary samurai as they appear out of the mist. I would highly recommend for anyone who studies a martial art, as it helps reinforce a powerful message of respect, for yourself and your opponent.

4.0 out of 5 stars You wish to fight me!?, 25 Mar 2004
It was like watching braveheart all over again! Very good film i must say. Loads of good battle scenes, a bit of romance, some cool sword fighting all through the film..what more could you ask for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!, 13 Sep 2004
Action man (Camberley, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Ok, I agree with some of the reviews that said this movie was a little too Hollywood. For example the ending where everyone is gunned down leaving just Cruise alive is a little too convenient if u ask me. Besides why would they not have used their brand new, high powered guns in the first place?!!! That said though I thought the fight scenes were excellent (particularly the ninjas!) and thouroughly enjoyed the insight into the discipline and honour of the samurai. An epic film and definately one for the collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE LAST SAMURI, 29 Jan 2005
What an awesome film, it was sublime, I couldn't fault a thing. I don't like Tom Cruise and didn't want to watch this film, but he was truly brilliant. The rapport between the two main maale characters was wonderful and the scence when Taka dresses Tom Cruise was the most erotic love scence ever.
The main Japenese actor was amazing, such dignity and expression.
I love this film so much that I would rate it as one of my top ten favourites. I cried so much at the end.
Brillianr, brilliant film.

4.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly good, 6 April 2006
T. Noever "Author of the TETHYS series" (Brisbane, Australia) - See all my reviews
I'm not a Tom Cruise fan. Actually the opposite is true. Also, knowing something of the Samurai and Samurai swordcraft, I automatically zoom in on the flaws and inconsistencies in those areas. This doesn't matter in movies like ZATOICHI, which are definitely tongue-in-cheek, but in something more serious like TLS it matters.

So I found myself pleasantly surprised that not only did I not mind Tom Cruise so much (after the first 15 minutes or so, where he overdoes the 'Tom Cruise' bits) and the sword work (bokken and shinken) was handled with an acceptable degree of authenticity. The movie also paid suitable homage to the Samurai, who on one hand carried with them the whole baggage of a feudal repressive culture, but who also embodied much of what one might call the 'spirit of Japan'. It's an ambiguous situation, where nothing's all good or bad, but when it ends like it did end there's a lot of pathos and sadness, no matter WHAT the merits or not.

This was well-handled and the movie made a real impact - on this reviewer anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pride, Tradition, Respect, 26 Sep 2004
Amanda Richards "Hotpurplekoolaid" (ECD, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I put off watching this movie for a long time, because apart from not being the world's greatest Tom Cruise fan, I thought it would have been another overhyped mega-production.
I was wrong! (and I don't admit this very often, so believe it)
This is a great movie, well acted and superbly cast. Ken Watanabe as Katsumoto won me over completely, as did Shin Koyamada, playing Nobutada, Katsumoto's son, the Japanese equivalent of "Legolas".
The unspoken attraction between Nathan Algren (Cruise) and Taka (Koyuki)was beautifully portrayed , and the tender manner in which she DRESSED him, created far more sparks than if she had done the "deed" on screen.
The battle scenes were realistic, without being overly gory, and the bravery of the Samurai nearly brought me to tears during the final skirmish.
We can all learn from the courage and traditions of the Samurai, and they have darned nice armour and swords too.
Amanda Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and gripping movie that should appeal to most people, 16 Feb 2004
Silverfrog (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I went in to see this movie with relatively high expectations and came out of the movie satisfied that all of my expectations were met,.. and more. As described by some of the other reviewers this movie is about Nathan Algreen, a drunken warrior with a lost soul who is captured by the Samurai. Algreen struggles to fight his own demons as he ‘detoxes’ and after his recovery he becomes intrigued with the Samurai. He struggles for their respect and begins to learn about the mysterious Samurai way, their philosophies and of course their martial arts. He is eventually honoured and accepted amongst the Samurai and eventually fights his own military in a climactic struggle to support their ideals and patriotism.
The movie unravels the mystery of the Samurai and their ways very well and Cruise gives a very good performance as Algreen. Ken Watanabe is excellent in his role as the Samurai leader showing the intricacies of being a Samurai, a leader, a patriot but also unpopular. He is very graceful but frighteningly brilliant in action as is Cruise. The action sequences were very well done, introducing the action slow motion in a different ways. I just loved Algreen’s initial engagement of the Samurai as it breathtaking, artistic and mysterious all in one. The movie is also added with the romance between Algreen and Taka (Yoyuki).
Part of what makes a movie excellent in comparison to just good is the soundtrack. Hans Zimmer did a wonderful job for the soundtrack as it strongly adds to the tension and excitement of the movie. My wife however believes that Zimmer should have used more of the Eastern drumming to enhance the feel of the movie and I agree but I think that it was very good non-the-less.
The movie is a good balance between exciting action, style, interesting story and romance together with a good dose of enhancing music. I’m sure with these combinations it should appeal to most people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom cruse at his best, 9 Feb 2008
A. SALTER (Grimsby UK) - See all my reviews
Great film that I would recomend to anyone, A good balance of action and a meaningfull story means you will be wishing you where a samurai and questioning your own sense of honour by the end of the film.
The transition of this film to Blu-ray is exactly what you would expect, brilliant picture quality, outstanding sound and one fo the largest collections of extra features I have seen on any Blu-ray! which makes this a very good all round addition to anyones collection.

What I watched it on.
Panasonic 42px60 (plasma 1080i)
playstation 3 blu-ray player (HDMI)
JVC th-v70r surround sound (optical) (dolby digital 5.1) (inc tannoy m1 front L/R speakers)

5.0 out of 5 stars In Blu-ray, 3 Sep 2007
Mr. Ben Parer (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I have to say this is the most dramatic movie I have seen to date in Blu-ray. This movie was made for it. The colours and detail are amazing, I only realised certain things happened in this movie after viewing this movie ie. heads decapitating etc that I never even saw in standard DVD. HIGHLY RECOMMEND in BLU-RAY

5.0 out of 5 stars A must to have on blu-ray!, 6 Mar 2010
MyKeyReviews (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This film is just amazing in so many ways; The storyline is well written, brilliant acting cast and the music is just breathtaking!
I must say that Tom Cruise's acting is just fantastic, he really did play his role well however I cannot just give the credit to him as ALL
the other main characters were just spot on and made the film intence and very enjoyable.

I had previously bought this on DVD, but when I saw it came out on Blu-ray, I just had to see what it would be like in Hi-Def, and I was just stunned!
The picture was sharper as ever, the detail is jawdropping and the sound quality is so much better.

If you haven't got this film on blu-ray, then I highly recommend you do, trust me you wont look back. 5*/5*!

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›