VINE VOICEon 19 October 2006
At first I thought the Powerball was a bit of waste of time. It took me a long time to get to grips with how you get the inner ball to rotate. Once you have the hang of it though, it's really quite addictive! The idea is that you hold the powerball in your hand and slowly start to rotate it so that the inner ball spins. Once you pick up speed the inner ball's resistance kicks in and it gives you a great arm workout - perfect if you play a lot of racket sports. Beyond an exercise tool, it's really addictive and I would guess it's a great way of keeping your hands busy when trying to give up smoking! Highly recommended!
33 comments|143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 March 2011
I've been suffering with Golfers Elbow for sometime and use my son's Powerball when it gets really uncomfortable, I have a good couple of minutes exercise with the Powerball untill my whole arm really aches with a burning sensation (sounds daft but ...)then, as if by magic the aches ease away and my arm is trouble free for about a week.

No permanent cure yet, but 2 weeks totally rested and filled with Ibuprophen didn't provide a medical cure either. At least this Powerball gives me around a week of pain relief for a couple of minutes of exercise, and virtually instant too.

My son recommends this product too as a good wrist strengthener.

***** Update - very rarely have problem with my Golfers Elbow / Tendonitis, however, when I do, no medication required, I just use this ball until I get a burning sensation, I repeat as required over the following few days until the tendonitis has gone - son still uses the Powerball too it improves his grip and strength in his hands and arms for Mountain and Downhill biking. *****
This is the original powerball and still the one I keep coming back to. I have been using various powerball for over two years now and I love it as much now as when I first got it. The manufacturer's description really doesn't do this product justice, although their website does. If you use this powerball at low speeds it is great for RSI and other wrist/arm injuries. At high speeds it gives an amazing workout and really builds up all the arm and shoulder muscles. The build quality is incredible (do not be tempted by inferior wannabes) and the lifetime guarantee is unbeatable. I've had to replace a small part already (due to my intensive usage!) and they sent out the part quickly, free of charge and with full fitting instructions, can't say fairer than that! It is truly addictive and put it on a table in a room full of friends and you will all soon be fighting to out do one another. I could write so much more about this product, but really you've got to buy one and try for yourself, you will not regret it! Try to track down the version with the timing computer on top so you can see how you're progressing.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 13 June 2009
This isn't bad at all! I have wrist problems, and it is for sure that using this regularly will improve my wrist strength!! Probably not ideal for toning arms or anything else. Although your forearms will get a decent workout!!
Bit annoying how i chose to get the one without a counter, because my brothers does, and you feel there is more purpose when you can see your speed!!
on 15 April 2016
When you first open the packaging, You will see a Powerball and 2 pieces of red string- cord..

1, At first, I thought the Powerball was a bit of waste of time. It took me a long time to get to grips with how you get the inner ball to rotate.
Once you have the hang of it though, it's really quite easy to use.

2, Place the small length of red cord into a hole and turn the inner ball a few turns, Then pull. It will start to spin slowly.
The idea is you then turn your hand and slowly to keep it rotating. It is the inner ball which spins.
Then the more you turn your hand the faster it will. And the harder you have to hold it, That is the idea of it.
3, This is the original Powerball and I think the best, The manufacturer's description really doesn't do this product justice,
Try the website. very helpful site.

4, First use this Powerball at low speeds it is great for wrist and arms.
At the high speeds it gives an Amazing workout and really builds up all the arm and shoulder muscles.
That is If you can hold on to the ball, it is quite hard at full speed. I think it would benefit Racket plays etc.
5, The build Quality is Excellent and there is a lifetime guarantee. I could write so much more about this product,
If you want a great workout for arms wrist and shoulder, Will leaves your arms etc. burning after a few minutes.
You've got to buy one and try for yourself, you will not regret it. This one has lasted me a long, And still works great.

You could Try the version with a Timing computer on top of the Powerball so you can see how you're progressing.
I would Highly recommended great workout. Well worth the money for a Quality Powerball.
on 28 December 2009
Bought as a stocking filler did'nt know what to expect but was quite supprised it gives you a good work out using muscles you did'nt know you had it's good fun and gives everyone a laugh.
on 14 June 2014
I was recommended this product by a doctor after they said there was little they could do for my weak tendons. I did have weak and aching wrists fairly often every time I played basketball to practised the piano, and after quite an arduous battle with various GPs we finally got referred to hospital and sent around various specialists, the last one saying that I had weak tendons and that there isn't a lot that can be done about it bar strengthening the muscles around them, hence the reason he recommended a powerball. This great little machine has solved my wrist problem near instantly! I never have problems with my wrists since I started using this little gadget daily. I turn up downstairs whirring away as I have breakfast and stop before I go out so about 10/15 mins every morning and my problem is solved! A very neat little device and pretty cool too! Would definitely recommend to anyone wanting stronger wrists.
on 6 November 2009
If you've never seen on of these 'in the flesh', you might -like me- wonder what the difference is between this model and the one with the digital clock on top. I think that the clock one just allows you to see what speed you got up to and/or time your sessions. What I find when using the ball, though, is that it can be difficult to keep holding in exactly one position, and I think I would prefer the ordinary flat cap (the black bit in the pic with the nuclear fission-type logo) than one with a clock on. To be fair, though, I haven't tried one of those, so maybe you'd need to read their reviews to see if worth the extra money. I'm quite happy with the basic model, which is excellent value.
What isn't really explained is that you have to start the ball with a thin cord, as you did with gyroscopes you may have come across when a child (it's basically a gyroscope in a clever housing). Once started, it is initially quite difficult to transfer to the palm of you hand, as you can only hold it in one position (to allow the wheel underneath to freely rotate). After a while you get the hang of it, and learn the action you need to speed up the rota, and start feeling the benefit of exercise. It's quite addictive, and easy to sit using while just watching TV.
I'd absolutely recommend the easy-starter, Powerball Eezi Starter as it does away with the need to use the cord to start it (if you watch bike racing, the device works just the same as the motors they used to use to start up the bikes by spinning up the back wheels). It also makes a convenient place for the ball to sit when not in use. The leg strap, however, I found rubbish. (Andrew Hirst)
on 5 June 2014
The thread to start the gyro running keeps getting stuck in the inner casing, and the plastic openings are too narrow to release it easily. Very frustrating. Someone did not think the 'new and improved' redesign through. Buy the older versions which worked much more smoothly.
on 18 November 2015
So the mechanism to get this started is tedious and archaic - you have to twist a string around the middle ball. Not very advanced and it is time consuming when you do not pull it out hard enough to create the necessary motion the first time.

It took me a few attempts to get to grips with how the powerball works. This aspect of it is rubbish. If you do t get it going on the first few attempts your wrist is in agony for trying to use it it

It sits comfortably in your grip without stretching your hand. Easy to maintain grip because of rubber at top and around centre of the powerball.

However, once I was able to get into a rhythm with it I found that the powerball made a lot of difference to the RSI I suffer from in my wrist. I use the powerball for about a minute and it gives me a half day release from the RSI pain (depending on how much I am using my wrist/hand). I tend to use it for a minute once in the evening, morning and midday to ensure that I get the maximum relief from pain. Since starting to use the powerball I have not had to use pain relief cream or wear my wrist & palm support at all and can go about my daily work/exercise without pain.

Definitely try this out before you have a steroid injection on start trying to use pills to alleviate the pain.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse