Smoke and Mirrors
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£20.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 7 October 2006
I've been watching these guys for a few years. They averaged about two or three cuts per CD that I really liked. Each album seemed to get better and I saw possibilities for the Datsuns. They slowly left behind the echos of glam metal screaming a.k.a. cover/bar band status, and emerged more poppy, edgey & cool. Right now that sound is what I dig. The Vines, The Bloody Hollies, The Mutts, The Hangmen, and some Caesars. Goth metal and basic mainstream rock is so dead. Yuck! I like the arrogant young kids in these bands and their style and dress. They are what is happening, chic, cool and wild. Vacant star status makes a true rockstar. So get out there with the Datsuns and break-up some furniture and trash the party! Their music is fun and original and makes me want to dance and party. Isn't that how music is supposed to be? I see some Distillers in them at times and a little Hives, but with more direction.I think they will go somewhere if nobody OD's or worse, gets married! The best bands seem to be coming from the UK, Australia and New Zealand these days, and L.A. and the Strip is on fire with this sound. The Datsuns are in the right place and I think Smoke & Mirrors will get them recognized. Still, I would only buy four tracks off it. I haven't found an album in years that each track was great. It is out in New Zealand already. But, those four songs are killer, Just what I was looking for... Tear it up boys!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I always found the Datsuns to be lacking in that all important extra bit of - careful now, technical term coming - 'oomph'. Sorry to get all muso on your ass there, but it had to be said. There were some good songs lurking around but the killer touch seemed to be missing, mainly due to the dull as ditchwater productions.

And, to a degree, that's still the case. Opening track "Who Are You Stomping Your Foot For?" comes on like the Stranglers on speed but the muted production does it no favours. Which may be why it's the downtempo numbers that work best - "Waiting For Your Time To Come" and the bluesy "Stuck Here For Days" faring best.

Best of all, though, is the slide fuelled, gospel swamp of "All Aboard" where the Datsuns get to pretend they're the North Mississippi Allstars to tremendous effect.

Some of the keyboard work is a tad on the intrusive side and they really should have hired a proper producer, something that could have prevented a lot of the material from sounding so remote.

I like the Datsuns and I like this album, but they could have done better.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again