Format: DVD|Change

on 3 July 2007
The family and I went out to see 'Open Season' at the theater and thought it was okay. The film was very entertaining for the kids because of the two lead characters but as for my husband and I it was bearable. I have to admit I did doze off a couple of times but only for a few minutes. I have noticed that this is the first completely computer-generated motion picture to be created by Sony Pictures Animation (SPA).

Boorg (voiced by Martin Lawrence), is the lovable bear who was rescued by a ranger and raised basically like a pet dog, has gotten too big and is now released into the wild during Open Season, which is the time when the humans come into the forest to hunt the animals. Boorg must now typically adapt to his surroundings, including using the bathroom outside (which is hilarious), finding food, among other things. His side-kick Elliot (voiced by Ashton Kutcher), a down-on-his-luck deer who has been kicked out of his herd and is being hunted by The Big Bad Hunter. Elliot just wants some friends, and wants Boorg to be his friend. The whole time I couldn't help thinking that the character of Elliot was a direct rip-off of the Donkey from Shrek. However, Donkey and Shrek are themselves a rip-off of every buddy-film of all time.

The supporting characters are hilarious, but perhaps a tad underdeveloped. Honestly, the movies' best lines and jokes were in the previews that I've seen many times. I hate when that happens! My main complaint about the film was the pacing of the story. The story itself left something to be desired, because it was very predictable and filled with clichés. However, something was off in the end. For all the build-up, it was a disappointing end, almost like it was too easy. The end needed some tweaking, that's for sure.

The animation was pretty impressive. Boorg the bear was done very well, especially with his fur, which looked completely realistic. When you don't notice the fur and it becomes part of the character that is when you know that you've done a good job.

'Open Season' is not even close to the Pixars of the animated world due to its predictable script. Nevertheless, it's entertaining enough, the animation is of course stellar, and it will definitely entertain the kiddies. I just wish the story would have been more thought out.
on 20 January 2015
pre owned yest quallity is as new. no marks on dvd no scratches case imaculate. no jumping when played. very good quallity
on 1 March 2011
I watched this blu-ray on my 3d samsung tv, i have seen a few 3d documentarys but this was my first film, overall i was very impressed with the 3d in the film, the picture quality was great and some scenes really do pop out at you whilst others have deep depth.

The actual film itself wasnt great, there are many better animated films out there, it does have a few funny parts but i dont think the characters are as likeable as other animated films.

This may be a good film to get if you are looking to show of the 3d on your tv as there isnt loads of titles to choose from at the moment and its fairly cheap so overall i would give the 3d in this film an 8/10 and the actual film a 5/10.
on 12 January 2010
Given as a gift because we love this film, it is funny for both children and adults.
on 1 May 2012
Has some of the best 3D effects I have seen from my so far limited collection. The film is enjoyable, but in my opinion goes a little too far. The 3D effects are definately better than the film. 5 stars for the 3D, 3 Stars for the film.
on 11 August 2013
PQ is great, though there are other animated feature films with better PQ.
AQ is a bit disappointing. Not much improvement from DVD.
The movie itself is entertaining, though it is a bit cliche as you can expect what would happen next.
on 24 August 2014
Saw this film whilst visiting family and found it very funny so we decided to add it to our collection. As others have already said, the film appeals to all ages - from our two year old son to his grandparents.
on 25 June 2010
The era of making animated creature features produced some fine entertainment.
However,Open Season fails to deliver the same standard of storyline or characters.
It might appeal to a younger audience.
on 6 May 2013
absolutely fun movie my little one watching it over and over again. movie is about a pet bear going to live in wild for the first time.preview if you can.bargain as secound hand.suitable for all ages
on 20 February 2013
Recommended to family's with small children, i recorded this over christmas and my daughter just loves it, so i bought her the dvd so she can watch it anywhere.