on 13 February 2011
This was the series of Armstrong and Miller that I first saw back in the late 1990's and it was only because I had the outrageous good fortune to have been working for Channel Four Television at the time with access to the tape library, lots of night shifts and cratefuls of blank VHS tapes! This was obviously long before anyone could just watch everything online on 4OD and DVDs back then were still selling for £25 a pop.

The 1990's Channel 4/Paramount Comedy series is a lot edgier and more outrageous than the relatively formulaic, anodyne and (dare I say) more repetetive "Little Britain"-style sketch show it seems to have become since they moved to the BBC, and it was originally made by Absolutely Productions (if you don't know Absolutely and you love '80s/'90s British alternative comedy then you need to see it). I absolutely loved their early Channel 4/Paramount years and as glad as I am to see them back on TV I am slightly bored by the BBC series.

Anyway, my old Channel 4 VHS compilation has been missing for a while and the DVD is now cheap as chips so I've ordered a copy. I would really love to see Armstrong and Millers' earlier Channel 4/Paramount series because I don't think I've even seen any of them. The BBC have released what they call "series 1-3" as a box set but strictly speaking it should be called "series 5-7".

I really can't understand why so many people like the BBC series but hate the Channel 4 series. I suppose you like what you're used to. I personally think the Comic Strip went downhill when they moved to BBC as well but some of my mates were raving about that at the time too.

Incidentally I think BBC comedy is ace and has a rich history of old and new classics and I am not slagging off the beeb's output in general.
on 22 April 2010
This is very funny and a must see DVD, it contains all their well know skectches IE Naked Vets, Nasty Teachers, Camp Critics, Psychotic Policeman and lots more. It even contains a episode that was never shown on TV.
VINE VOICEon 9 July 2007
This is funny,but I really bought it for the sketches on the 'old age sucker-out syringe'. It just seemed to reflect the behaviour of the senior management in my own company at the time this was aired.

Luckily, there's more to this than just one sketch, but I agree with the other reviewer. The earlier series were better.
on 23 August 2006
Very odd to release the 4th series first. The first series (originally shown on Paramount)

is the best in my opinion, followed by the third. The recurring sketches like "Nude Practice"

and "Force On The Case" featured here are weaker than in the previous series, so I don't really

understand why they release this first. But A & M are quite talented, and this includes some good stuff.
on 4 August 2010
Added this to my order of the 1st and 2nd series of Armstrong and Miller Show ( the more recent series )as in "might take a punt"...I suppose it shows how they have improved upon, and developed their ideas. Has its moments but not a patch on the excellent ( new ) series 1. Which I find superior to series 2. But what do I know?
on 10 October 2012
Very funny and completely off-the-wall. Probably need Monty-Python or Mike Myers type sense of humour to appreciate fully. Not for those in the least bit shy or prudish! Great stuff. Difficult to take Mr Armstrong seriously in his TV game-show from now on - keep imagining him naked.
on 23 September 2013
Arrived on time. Was a B day present. Difficult to make out which series contained what sketches. It could have been worded clearer. Confusion over different series really. Still enjoyed DVD, as avid fans. Price reasonable.
on 1 January 2012
Initially bought the first three series and had to get this one as well. So glad I did. My husband and I cant help repeatedly watching these guys - most funniest skits for ages!!
on 15 October 2010
I loved A&M back in the day when they were on Channel 4, and this dvd of the 4th series shows how they were perhaps slightly edgier before they were on BBC1. That said, I love them now as I loved them then and after the break the comedy did seem to become a little tighter without resorting to occasional innuendo... However, who would be without Nude Practice? Not me.
VINE VOICEon 23 July 2007
This made me realise how much I enjoyed the original series. It was invariably on at times when I'd miss it, hence my purchase. Some of the sketches are a little weak, but equally, the odd one or two are hilariously irreverent (the practical-joking Prime Minister's aide, for example). In general, it's not a series for the easily-offended, but the 18-rating will probably tell you as much.