Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 May 2007
I think the best song is Soweto '76 to '06. It has got a lot of soul. And Change is well written and produced and Lupe gives the song justice. This album is underrated and it should be there on the airplay. Joy is a mixture of Brenda Fassie,Aretha Franklin and Alicia Keys. This album is amazing.
on 17 August 2012
This is a soulful album with classic 60's and early 70's soul providing much of its inspiration. It makes references to modern R&B/hip-hop but it's the soul which stands out. Be Real has hints of the great Otis Redding ballads and shades of Aretha's Natural Woman, Caught Up clearly draws from Betty Lavette's Let Me Down Easy and you'll be listening to some of the other tracks trying to identify their influences. The album was recorded in Philadelphia, USA although some tracks have a strong Stax/Hi Memphis feel to them.
Joy Denalane had a hand in writing many of the songs and I suspect this has added to the soul of the album.
With 15 songs and running at 65 minutes this cd is great value. At the time of writing the selling price is a bargain; so if you're a soul fan and feel jaded by some of what purports to be soul, buy it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
I've only just found out about Joy by chance and I'm delighted I did. For me, this is one of my best soul buys this year and I can't wait to hear her latest album, Maureen, which was released earlier this year.
Joy was born in Germany with a German father and South African mother. She has recorded 3 studio albums to date which are; Mamani (in German), Born & Raised (in English) and Maureen which has been recorded in both English and German.
on 11 August 2010
A strong Hip Hop Soul album, with emphasis on Soul. Mixture of Hip Hop tunes, some ballads and uptempo more Funky Stax type tunes. She has a strong and clear voice, her lyrics are meaningful and far superior to bubblegum pop. She has decent intonation and Soul for someone whose native language is not English. A refreshing option to the usual generic Neo Soul offerings foistered on us by various labels.
on 29 September 2007
I HAVE HAD THIS ALBUM SINCE IT CAME OUT!! I NEVER HEARD OF JOY BEFORE AND TOOK THE CHANCE ON THE FIRST GLIMPSE..... I PUT IT ON WHEN I GOT BACK AND I THOUGHT OH MY DAYS!!! SHE IS OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! THIS ALBUM IS FORVER ON MY IPOD ON REPEAT AND IT IS ON MY CD PLAYER CONSTANTLY!! I INTRODUCED JOY TO MY SISTER AND THE ALBUM IS ALWAYS IN HER CAR SO MUCH THAT HER 7 YEAR OLD SON SINGS ALONG TO THE SONGS!! EVERY SONG ON THIS ALBUM IS CATCHY, DEEP AND SOULFUL. JOY DOES NOT GET THE AIRPLAY OR THE PUBLICITY SHE DESERVES..... SO IF YOU WANT TO TAKE A CHANCE AND HAVE ONE OF THE BEST ALBUMS IN THE WORLD I SUGGEST YOU BUY THIS AND I PROMISE YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED!! A FIVE STAR ALBUM AND I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THE NEXT ALBUM!