on 24 November 2006
Having heard that the former actress turned her back on a successful career in Hollywood to launch a singing career left me feeling somewhat sceptical with a feeling of dread of what was to come ... however, having stumbled across this album and having curiousity get the better of me I decided to pay up and get it. REAL MUSIC LIVES. I am blown away by the energy this band radiates. If like me you needed a nudge before you woke up to the talent that is Juliette and the Licks . . then watch and listen for yourself on [...] and see them in concert. It is free and legal to do so. Happy listening. This would get 10 Amazon stars!
on 8 October 2006
Juliette Lewis is a very well established hollywood actress and now with her band 'the licks' she is also fast becoming a rock godess. This is her 2nd full length studio album with only 10 tracks this album is very short with no album fillers making it a fast paced delight to lisen too. All the tracks are great upbeat sounds with great guitars and drums (on which guest star Dave Grohl makes an appearance playing) making sure this album truly rocks. those of you who have heard the first single 'hot kiss' & loved it won't be dissappointed as there are many a better tracks to be heard here such as 'sticky honey' a superb pop rock track & the feisty 'killer'. Those of you who loved last album 'your speaking...' will love this although it has a much rockier sound u may miss hearing songs like old tracks 'this i know' & 'long road' as there are no slowies to hear here. All in all I think with her great songwriting talent and rock voice this is a great album.
on 7 December 2006
I was reccomended by a friend to check out their album so i listened to it online and thought WOW this is some good stuff! The next day i went and bought the album along with their EP and previous album, reated myself to the new single also!

I have to say this is one of the best albums ive heard in a while, absolute genious! If i could rate this album 100 i would, definatley something to listen to :D
on 16 October 2006
It's absolutely brilliant! More like the EP than the last album, it's really rocking! The opener 'Smash and Grab' is awesome!
on 9 October 2006
I bought this just on the off- chance and i found it to be a great album. Juliette has a perfect voice for the style they are reaching for and with the strengths on the album being Hot Kiss and Purgatory Blues.

The only two tracks that in my opinion let this album down were death of a whore and sticky honey.

But if you're looking for a good rock/punk album, then this is safe bet.
on 23 November 2015
It's incredible to think that it's nine years now since this album was released and to me it still sounds as fresh now as it did on first release (Damn I promised not to fall into the cliche' trap) However this is what good Rock n Roll should and does sound like, in fact I went to see Juliette and The Licks live in Nottingham the week this was released and it sounded even better live than it did on the cd, and the cd sounds fantastic. Right from the get go these ten tracks grab you by the throat and refuse to let go until the last note has been wrung from your ears, a real play loud as you get ready for a hot Friday night out on the town havin' it large. There isn't a duff track on this record, this is a mission statement of intent on high octane from smash and grab thru the slightly twisted ska guitar rythmn on sticky honey and don't get me started on bullsh**t king (my fave track). And I can't end this review without mentioning that a certain Foo Fighter appears on this record playing drums. So, if , like me, you like your rock n roll loud, hard and fast then you'll love this.......
on 21 October 2006
I've been keeping an ear out for this band for the last couple of years, and this album will hopefully be the breakthrough they deserve, it is rare that I find an album that I can listen to without wanting to skip a track, but this is the first one this year (I had hopes for the second Evenenscence album but it dissapoints) lets hope it gets the recognition it deserves
on 12 October 2006
Ok this is not the most subtle kind of music you will encounter. It is simply excellent hard-rocking kick-ass rock, with both a punk and hard-rock edge. It is actually better than the previsou album. The EP was as good, almost. Here the production is really top-notch additionnally. I really recommend this one.
on 18 March 2013
I normally don't review anything but I came across this product listing and I couldn't leave without giving my opinion. I have had this album for the last 4/5 years now and it is still my go to album. A friend told me about them and I thought id check it out. I reckon I have listen to the full album 100's of times by now. I think the fact the it costs £15 now really shows how in demand it still is. You may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere or on itunes but even at £15 its still a bargain. In my opinion, a must buy!
on 9 October 2006
If you love her movies, then by golly you'll love her music!! The best of the trax are Killer, Hot Kiss, Sticky Honey, her throaty vocals only add to the whole flavour of the album!If you get the chance to see her and the licks live then do so, you won't regret it!! She is the ballsiest lady in rock at the moment!
[...]