5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Debut Album
Published on 15 Aug 2006 by Dr. Gary Callon

2.0 out of 5 stars Glorious 1-track album
Absolutely useless album which sounds like a 90s Deacon Blue but with none of the passion or lyricism. Glorious is the only true track of any worth or substance.
Published 20 months ago by phatboi

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Debut Album, 15 Aug 2006
Dr. Gary Callon "Gary Callon" (Arbroath, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is Hazelville (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the strength of the single, 'Glorious' which has been worthy of the considerable amount of airplay that it has received. I was not disappointed after the first play and even more hooked after the 2nd and 3rd. I was particularly impressed by the boy/girl harmonies that become prominent on the middle tracks of the album and tracks 5 and 6 could almost be mistaken for some missing Prefab Sprout material. Catchy hook lines, both instrumentally and vocally, mixed with cutting guitars and an overall sound that never strays to being too commercial make this an excellent debut from this band. Well worth a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captian is the name of their dog!, 21 Nov 2006
S. Burke "56StevieB" (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is Hazelville (Audio CD)
Hazelville is soooooo good! This band will pick up all the old Deacon Blue fans if I'm not wrong as, not only do they sound like them with touches of Prefab Sprout/Roddy Frame and Turin Brakes thrown in, but the songwriting is equally competent as Ricky Ross and others mentioned. Trevor Horne's production improves something which must have been pretty good in the first place and the overall sound is a beefed up rockier Deacon Blue. I didn't get into Hazleville on first listen but in my book this is a good thing, as albums that are immediately appealing generally tend to loose their impact after a while. There seems to be a fine balance between impact and longevity and I think this album will stand up well. I don't think there is a bad track on the album having listened to it seven or eight times.I look forward to seeing them in concert and hope they can keep up this standard in the future!

4.0 out of 5 stars Refresh Your Stereo, 27 Nov 2006
Toby Staunton "dancing mole" (Derbyshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is Hazelville (Audio CD)
Captain have managed to break the love it or hate it indie mold. Many people have become delusioned recently by the prevalence of edgy, perfectly calculated indie rock in the charts. There is hope for you. For those, like me, who like the indie tunes on your stereo there is something to keep it alive a bit longer. Captain have managed to produce a debut album that is pushing forward with a new perspective of the boundaries. Mixing passionate up beat vocals, layered with smooth pop harmonies, and elegant string and synth sections Captain have brought new ideas to the table. No song shows this more plainly than `Glorious' which is a stripped back summer crowd pleaser that will be echoed around venues more and more as this bands popularity grows.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Pop Genius, 22 Aug 2006
T. Robinson - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is Hazelville (Audio CD)
Where did this come from?!

Talent Borrows, Genius steals. These particular geniuses steal not from Gang of Four, The Smiths, The Libertines or The Clash as is so populuar with todays indie kids.

These guys are clearly into the fabulous Prefab Sprout (and perhaps the Delays, Mew and The New Radicals)...only they take it one stage further and make an album which is like the best album Mr McAloon and co never made and add make it sound absolutely NOW, but make it sound like..well quite a cool place to be really.

This is a glorious, melodic, multi-layered pop gem. If you like to luxuriate in wonderful, harmonic lush pop music then this is for you.

Sounds like one of those "guilty pleasures" so beloved of London clubland right now...but it isn't...its new, its being made NOW, its pure pop, its fresh and exciting and its also an absolute pleasure to listen to. Ah Just buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Upbeat and fantastic!, 21 Jun 2007
This review is from: This Is Hazelville (Audio CD)
I had only heard the single Glorious when I bought this CD. I loved the single so checked out the reviews for the whole album, all of which said it was a really good.

I thought I might be disappointed as I had high expectations that the album would be as good as the single. I wasn't and it is!

This album makes such a change from all the 'samey' indie sound thats around at the moment. Its upbeat (definately makes a change) and you can dance around to it (if so inclined)! The harmonies sail along and it makes a nice change having both a female and male voice in the mix.

Some people may find they have to listen to it a couple of times before fully appreciating it, but believe me its worth doing if this is the case.

I would reccomend this album to anyone - puts a simle on your face and a dance in your step!

Happy listening! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, lovely - PERFECT!, 7 Jan 2007
This review is from: This Is Hazelville (Audio CD)
This album is described sufficiently by the second track, Glorious.

I have never listened to such uplifting and inspiring modern music. I bought this album in September, I am still (as I write!) listening to it now and it just gets better.

I urge you to buy this it really is an excellent album and I shall be watching eagerly for the next delightful music to come from Captain.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Debut of 2006 - If Not The Top Album of the Year!, 3 Sep 2006
Jools Sparkle (Under the stairs, Gt London, Surrey.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is Hazelville (Audio CD)
From the first single release 'Frontline' it was obvious this band were THE band to take notice of in 2006. With the release of their debut album 'This Is Hazelville' you realise just how much notice you should take of this perfect 5-piece band from all walks of life. It shouldn't work, but it does.

Perfect for listening to on a summers day... but just watch out for that darker undertone - a bit like a small dark cloud on the horizon of an otherwise perfect summer's day - after a few listens you'll realise the depth Captain have.

A band I hope will be around for a long, long time...

5.0 out of 5 stars This album gives me an overwhelming sensation of hope, 7 Oct 2006
GJ Glass (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is Hazelville (Audio CD)
What an album of outstanding beauty you have handed us Captain. Distinct, finely tuned, punching on all cylinders, evocative, sublime, revealing more on every listen.

On first listen it scored 10 on my two year old daughter's happiness scale as we danced and bounced around the room to it. It really has defined the Captain sound - it's your sound now. Take care of it.

Not many groups make the kind of music that can saturate the whole being ... well, may be you know what I mean. This album gives me an overwhelming sensation of hope. It's one I will trust to reach down with a friendly hand and pull me out of a hole into brilliant sunshine, clean mountain air and the shared smiles and laughter.

It's something the world needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars spot on, 30 Aug 2009
This review is from: This Is Hazelville (Audio CD)
this album just grows and grows on you. it was a very pleasant surprise to stumble upon it. love it

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious vinyl!, 22 Aug 2006
R. P. Greenhalgh "Richard P. Greenhalgh" (Frome, Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: This Is Hazelville [VINYL] (Vinyl)
The tracks here are the same as those on the CD, and I'd ask you to look at recent reviews of those on Amazon.co.uk - it is a great début album on CD - but this review is all about the 12" vinyl version!

If you thought that major labels had lost the plot with vinyl LPs then consider this: the eleven tracks on the CD version are not only available on vinyl (and we are thankful for that) but neither are they crammed on to a single LP! They are in fact split across two 12" LPs, housed in a gatefold sleeve, each of which has an inner sleeve with detailed lyrics, credits etc. The packaging is, for once, as good as the music! Well-done EMI!

This Is Hazelville
This Is Hazelville by Captain (Audio CD - 2006)