Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 November 2006
The second album is always difficult, big success on the first one how do follow it up, well this guy knows how to. Like a love you and cry me a river stand out on the first record and several on this such as my love, what comes around, and many more. justin has big name on this such as rick rubin, T.I and the master of amazing beats Timbaland. His career is flying high onwards and upwards for J.T
VINE VOICEon 11 September 2006
Those expecting more of the same after JT's superb debut album are in for a surprise.

This is one very funky venture.

However, the `sexy' approach seems more seedy than anything.

The songs, as such, are completely unmemorable.

Rhythmical? Yes

Tuneful? Er, not really.

A very disappointing second album considering how long we have waited for it.
on 25 September 2006
There are so many reviews, not only on this site, but on many "official" reviews going around that I thought I'd clear up any confusion. And also give my opinion on the album.

1. The entire album is co-written and co-produced by Justin. That's right, every song. The two songs produced by JAWbreakers are produced by Justin and Will (I am) Breaks, a production company the two of them set up together.

2. What goes around / Comes around - Is not a follow up to Cry me a river, it is not about Britney, it was written about a situation a friend of Justin's was going through.

3. The track listing that was originally up on this site was incorrect, both the UK and US versions are the same, and have the same track order, which is needed for the flow of the album.

Ok, so on to the album. On first listen, I'll admit I wasn't impressed, sure, there were good songs, I just wasn't sure about it. It's not as easily accessible as Justified. However, if you give it time (there comes a point after the second to third full listens through) the album suddenly jumps out at you, the songs separate into clarity. All of the small details that Justin has clearly worked hard on become apparant, and the sheer genius (no exageration) of this album reveals itself. I can honestly say that this album is still surprising me after 2 weeks of listening to it 2-3 times a day. If you like Pop, R&B, Hip Hop, or Dance, I'd say give it a try. But be patient with it...
VINE VOICEon 2 January 2008
I was a bit apprehensive when it came to listening to this CD. I can't say I'm the biggest fan of JT, but I thoroughly enjoyed his previous solo debut CD Justified, which was a very soulful affair. My apprehension came upon hearing the first single from this CD SexyBack, and that the majority of the CD would be produced by Timbaland. Not with standing one or two efforts (namely Cry Me a River which is a great song) I find Timbaland production soul less & cold. Alas that is how I would describe the majority of the songs on offer here. The only redeeming factors for this CD are the cuts:(Another Song) All Over Again , and Losing my Way, which benefits from a string section, & Hezekiah Walker & the Love Fellowship Choir. Very soulful. If only the rest of the CD could have followed suite.
on 21 September 2006
Now ive never really been a fan of JT BUT after loving sexyback i thought id give the album a try and i must say i like it!!!! Its much less poppy than JT's last album justifed and theres a few good collaborations a second with snoop dogg titled pose is a particually good track follwing the sucsess of signs that they recorded last year it could be a hit!theres and another with Timberland who produced the album and one with T.I. The 1st track on the same titled album is in my opinion a potential future single. its been quite a while since the release of justifed and justin has grown and matured as has his music. JT fans will not be dissapointed and your bound to love this album if you love prince 9/10 from me
on 20 October 2012
This Japan Import has an added bonus track titled, POSE, featuring Snoop Dogg, lyrical booklet, obi-strip, Japan insert page and explicit lyrics. If you enjoy music with hip-hop, R&B, dance, as well as rap and pop elements then this along with the extras will be worth the purchase of the more expensive Japan Import.

Most of the album has a blend of dance, R&B, as well as slow songs. There are songs like, FUTURESEX/LOVESOUND sounding similar to George Michael's song "I Want Your Sex", to more dance styles such as SEXYBACK featuring Timbaland and MY LOVE featuring T.I. bringing the beats up to the heavy synthesizers, rap interludes, and climaxing tech-no sounds sure to get you in the mood to move, fantasize or just shake it on the dance floor! For rap lovers, CHOP ME UP, will be sure to attract since Three 6 Mafia and Timbaland make much collaboration on the song. There is heavy bass, tight rhymes, and some overcharged electronic a enhanced rap vocals. DAMN GIRL featuring Will.I.Am has much reminisce of the times when disco was at an all time high and artists such as Prince were big. His voice levels have some similarity to his. The vocals are sensual, listener friendly, and pleasurable!

For more mellow sounds, SEXY LADIES has an R&B touch giving the message of how easy it is to attain a sexy lady when being so hot while LOVESTONED has the passionate, lustful romantic references that go nicely too. Aside those slower jams, SUMMER LOVE has some faster beats that later simmer down to "Set The Mood (Prelude)" and bring a pause type feeling of how romance can truly capture the heart. Justin has definitely grown from his past styles of songs like CRY ME A RIVER to a more mature sounding WHAT GOES AROUND. When you reach the end of the album, UNTIL THE END OF TIME, LOSING MY WAY, and (ANOTHER SONG) ALL OVER AGAIN are 3 great slower sounding songs that are nice to unwind, light some candles and meet with your special someone or just relax by yourself, fantasize, and imagine. The beats are highly R&B, slow in tempos, and soft in sound.

The bonus track POSE featuring Snoop Dogg is an excellent rap song to get the hip-hop mood going on strong. Justin sings about taking a picture of a fine girl as he sings, "Let me take your picture...Pose for my camera...Expose, expose...only for my photo." Snoop Dogg steps in with his excellent rap rhymes "Hey, you, J.T. let me holla at baby real quick/I got this new camera. I wanna try this out on her one time, dig this lady can I get a flick with you I been waiting to take your photograph..." The bonus song strays from the R&B as it highlights the rap a little more thus being an excellent addition for fans of rap, hip-hop, J.T. or Snoop Dogg.
VINE VOICEon 29 September 2007
The album title gives you a clue to what is within - there's two sides to it. One part hip hop, one part neo-Soul, with general R&B influences thrown in all over the place, Timberlake has gathered together some well known talent around him to produce and collaborate. Producer Timbaland has obviously been listening to a whole slew of past stars, as you'll pick up Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Prince and Old School Soul vocal groups here.

The more uptempo tracks will probably be well known to most listeners, and the production is well to the fore on Future Sex, SexyBack and Sexy Ladies, the latter featuring a bassline straight from the 80's. For any of these the vocalist could really have been anyone, since it's the rhythym track which gets you. Don't be mislead though, the vocal will lead before that album is finished.

My Love, is almost a rap track in parts, and LoveStoned kicks off as a producers track before slipping into a more mellow almost rock influenced ending, where Timberlake gets more chance to show his skills. And then we're on a different tack - a less intrusive production for most of the rest of the album and some truly excellent vocals.

What Goes Around lopes along and features an oriental guitar riff, and a great hook, and although Chop Me Up is straight hip hop , we enter Prince country on Damn Girl, with a hook which could have come from Jackson's "Off The Wall". Summer Love has a stripped back drum and handclap rhythym track, before getting lost in a laid back groove which really signposts the next 3 tracks.

Until the End Of Time reminded me of Jodeci, a slow grind, with an accappella ending which may just shiver your spine, and I absolutely loved Losing My Way, a deceptively simple track, which builds into a gospel style chorus over JTs restrained vocal. He is also on top form on All Over Again, where, backed by only piano and drums, he gets the chance to show he can really interpret a song - classic stuff in my book.

It's a shame he had to let in Snoop at the end, but then I suppose it adds to his credibility - but it adds nothing to the album for me at least.

In my opinion Justin Timberlake has a real shot at musical longevity - and for anyone who might be inclined to see him purely as a function of his producer, there's a long line of major talents who have found real fame when teamed with the right producer - think Aretha and Jerry Wexler, Jackson with Quincy Jones, and Al Green with Willie Mitchell. I think Justin might appreciate that last comparison, being a Memphis boy.
on 14 September 2006
When JT first released singles from his Justified album, I tried not to like them. He was a boyband escapee trying to be cool...I didn't like that one bit.

I did, however, like his music. It was sexy, cool...it made girls want him, and guys want to be him.

I first stole my sisters copy (ha!) then came out of the closet, and bought my own.

Then came Sexyback...a fresh take, and a seemingly ideal precursor to a follow up album.

I bought this new album the day of its release. I went straight for Sexyback...always nice to start with a favourite..it builds the anticipation for the rest of the album.

What a dissapointment.

Dont get me wrong, it could be that in isolation, this is a great album. Every track could be a masterpiece in its own right. However, I was hoping to a justified follow up, and thats what the signs pointed to. What has appeared is a slow, mellow attempt at a more 'grown up' album, and I dont like it.

I've given it 3 stars..I dont like it, but I'm hoping it'll be a grower, and it deserves one added for sexyback.

It depends what you;re looking for. Personally, I think if you really do have to give this guy more of your money, buy a second copy of Justified and keep it in the car.
on 25 November 2006
I loved his first album, and was worried that this 2nd one may not live up to it, but it definately has and I recommend anyone who liked his first one, or even his first single from this album to get it if you haven't already. I love Sexyback, so that would be my fave song on the album. What goes around comes around is sounding very like another song about Britney, eventhough he has stated in an interview that its not about her, but listen to the words and I think you'll agree!

Funky album, love it.
on 29 November 2007
This album is great. That sentence could come from a 4 year old it's so simple, but when talking about this album it's that simple as to say "this album is great". 'Futuresex/lovesound' is a great opener, acting like a warm up song for 'SexyBack' to follow, which has to be the catchiest song of 2006. The second single, 'MyLove', is also great, and a catchy tune too. Some fans would never have expected it, but Mr Timberlake produced two singles over 7 minutes long in 'LoveStoned/I Think She Knows' and my favourite Justin Timberlake song 'What Goes Around.../...Comes Around'. They're for my money, his best work to date. As I said, I'm a rock and metal fan, but you have to respect a man who started off in a boyband at 14 years of age, and presently has the world at his feet, producing a massive hit album with experimental music that his own record producers said would never sell! But he took the risk and it did. It sold millions in fact. His producer, Timbaland, needs to be given an extreme amount of credit for this album also, and has produced a fine album himself recently too, 'Timbaland Presents: Shock Value', featuring Mr Timberlake on a number of songs. All you can say is this is great! Go buy it right now. The Deluxe Edition is now available too.